Leadership and Correction

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 14, 2016
Why is it sometimes difficult to bring correction? (This kinda goes with the dealing with conflict post I opened on the young adult forum a little while back). I notice in myself not really liking to rock the boat. But I know sometimes I need to.

Today I had a situation where I was hanging out with a friend and noticed they had something downloaded that they shouldn’t, like piracy kind of things. I used to do the same things, but the Lord convicted me of it and I ridded my devices of such things. I felt like the Holy Spirit kinda pricked me when I saw it. I didn’t say anything at first, and after hanging out for a bit I ended up leaving his house without bringing it up. I was in a state of unrest and really felt like I needed to talk to him still. After a bit of time and pondering I wrote him out a text and let him know how I felt and what I believe the Holy Spirit wanted me to bring up to him.
He told me he would get rid of it.

I’m still kind of conflicted because I’m not sure if I handled the situation well. It likely would have been better had I not been cowering to bring it up. But I guess it’s best that I still did bring it up and didn’t brush it off. Just a really big moment of weakness today. Or maybe just overall.

I need help bringing correction. I know God corrects those He loves, so I should do the same. I’d I don’t, what am I doing? That’s kind of what pushed me to push past my feelings and just do something.

What are some ways you’ve learned to deal with bringing correction?

I ask this one in my own weakness: How do you keep from feeling like you’ve caused a disconnection in the relationship after bringing correction?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Would you rather have said nothing, and rather him get caught, arrested and fined for his thefts of intellectual property??

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
It was good that you said something. When the spirit convicts u to say something, it is better to go ahead and do it because it has a reason. Praise God! You might have set a seed that some say will be watered. God has his reasons and I am glad that you are doing what he says

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Aephus, a few thoughts...

First, stop berating yourself. You're young, and you're learning. You did the right thing by wrestling with the issue for a while, because you thought through what you would say rather than blurting and probably damaging the relationship.

Second, you aren't the Holy Spirit. It's His job to convict, not yours. Your role in this case was to point out the other person's sin. It won't always be your job to do so. You did what you sensed the Lord telling you to do. Don't make a doctrine out of it, or you will be known as a critical and judgmental person and people will avoid you, even if you aren't like that in reality.

Third, an effective way to share conviction is to share your story that is related, as in, "Recently, I downloaded something from the web, and I sensed the Lord telling me that I was wrong to do so. I deleted the item and repented." That way, there is no direct confrontation, but the message is still clear. The Holy Spirit can use that just as easily as "You're a sinner! You need to repent!"... perhaps more easily.

Last, following the Lord can be challenging, because we sometimes need to put friendships on the altar. You were willing to do that for the sake of the Lord. That is commendable.

C

claysmithr

be strong and courageous, for the Lord your God shall be with you wherever you go

Jun 14, 2016
Aephus, a few thoughts...

First, stop berating yourself. You're young, and you're learning. You did the right thing by wrestling with the issue for a while, because you thought through what you would say rather than blurting and probably damaging the relationship.

Second, you aren't the Holy Spirit. It's His job to convict, not yours. Your role in this case was to point out the other person's sin. It won't always be your job to do so. You did what you sensed the Lord telling you to do. Don't make a doctrine out of it, or you will be known as a critical and judgmental person and people will avoid you, even if you aren't like that in reality.

Third, an effective way to share conviction is to share your story that is related, as in, "Recently, I downloaded something from the web, and I sensed the Lord telling me that I was wrong to do so. I deleted the item and repented." That way, there is no direct confrontation, but the message is still clear. The Holy Spirit can use that just as easily as "You're a sinner! You need to repent!"... perhaps more easily.

Last, following the Lord can be challenging, because we sometimes need to put friendships on the altar. You were willing to do that for the sake of the Lord. That is commendable.

Thank you much, this really helps out. I truly appreciate it.

Jun 14, 2016
Thank you everyone who has contributed so far, it's all been good :giggle:

Oct 12, 2012
Why is it sometimes difficult to bring correction? (This kinda goes with the dealing with conflict post I opened on the young adult forum a little while back). I notice in myself not really liking to rock the boat. But I know sometimes I need to.

Today I had a situation where I was hanging out with a friend and noticed they had something downloaded that they shouldn’t, like piracy kind of things. I used to do the same things, but the Lord convicted me of it and I ridded my devices of such things. I felt like the Holy Spirit kinda pricked me when I saw it. I didn’t say anything at first, and after hanging out for a bit I ended up leaving his house without bringing it up. I was in a state of unrest and really felt like I needed to talk to him still. After a bit of time and pondering I wrote him out a text and let him know how I felt and what I believe the Holy Spirit wanted me to bring up to him.
He told me he would get rid of it.

I’m still kind of conflicted because I’m not sure if I handled the situation well. It likely would have been better had I not been cowering to bring it up. But I guess it’s best that I still did bring it up and didn’t brush it off. Just a really big moment of weakness today. Or maybe just overall.

I need help bringing correction. I know God corrects those He loves, so I should do the same. I’d I don’t, what am I doing? That’s kind of what pushed me to push past my feelings and just do something.

What are some ways you’ve learned to deal with bringing correction?

I ask this one in my own weakness: How do you keep from feeling like you’ve caused a disconnection in the relationship after bringing correction?
No it's not our job in Christ to fix everyone or everything; yes the correct thing was to leave and pray and ponder and wait on the Holy Spirit! Well done my brother? 😋