Leaving out information

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 11, 2015
Is it lying to leave out information? I called my biological father today and while I was talking to him he asked how my house projects were going. He asked if my fiancés dad was helping him. I said yes but didn't mention my dad was too because I didn't want to call my step dad "dad" to my biological father and I didn't want to call him by his name either because I would have felt bad. Then I tried to hurry and get off the phone by saying "well I'm gonna get off here and let you go." Because I didn't want him to ask anymore questions. Also I was playing with my little sister and when she got hurt because I told my mom it's was fault because I pulled her leg out from under her because we were wrestling. Mom said it was ok we were just playing. Yes we were but I didn't mention I was playing with her because I was showing off.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
No, it's not lying to leave out information like this.. I think you need to ask God to give you clarity on what is a lie, and what isn't..

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
well, we probably both know that showing off isn't good

but about the phone call, I'd say leaving out information is OK

compare it with this

1 SAMUEL 16:2 And Samuel said, How can I go? If Saul hears it, he will kill me. And the LORD said, Take a heifer with you
and say, I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.

Dec 19, 2009
Is it lying to leave out information? I called my biological father today and while I was talking to him he asked how my house projects were going. He asked if my fiancés dad was helping him. I said yes but didn't mention my dad was too because I didn't want to call my step dad "dad" to my biological father and I didn't want to call him by his name either because I would have felt bad. Then I tried to hurry and get off the phone by saying "well I'm gonna get off here and let you go." Because I didn't want him to ask anymore questions. Also I was playing with my little sister and when she got hurt because I told my mom it's was fault because I pulled her leg out from under her because we were wrestling. Mom said it was ok we were just playing. Yes we were but I didn't mention I was playing with her because I was showing off.
I don't think you have to tell people every single detail of every situation.

Feb 7, 2015
When you think about it, by doing this "confession" thing, are we not seeking approval (or chastisement) for our actions from others?
That is a lousy way to live. Do enough consideration of your actions to be comfortable and satisfied with them. As the Bard said:

"“This above all: to thine own self be true. ... Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Last edited:
W

WIP

Dear Acr96,
I have been in your shoes with biological father situation. To feel comfortable with how you feel about your step father and calling him dad. Think about why you do. Has he put himself in a situation to care for you as a father would his own blood. Did God maybe put him in your life to add to your life great things? You have to remember that you were not asked to be put in the situation of having multiple parents. These were decisions your parents made. I would think if your parents goals in raising a child to have a open loving heart they should expect nothing less then you to have done that with the people they brought into your life. If anything all of them should be proud of you. God would be proud of you for having a open heart to allow more guidance and love in your life. As far as your sister goes be honest with your mom and sister and ask for forgiveness. It will bring you all closer.

Dec 19, 2009
When you think about it, by doing this "confession" thing, are we not seeking approval (or chastisement) for our actions from others?
That is a lousy way to live. Do enough consideration of your actions to be comfortable and satisfied with them. As the Bard said:

"“This above all: to thine own self be true. ... Thou canst not then be false to any man."
Without knowing her better, it's hard to know what is bothering her. I would have said it was an obsession with telling the truth. Hope it's not a guilty conscience.

Feb 7, 2015

Without knowing her better, it's hard to know what is bothering her. I would have said it was an obsession with telling the truth. Hope it's not a guilty conscience.
This is why, if I think there is a chance they might be serious, I often pose a question to them. It says quite a bit if they answer and seem to want to talk about it, and seek a solution, or whether they just want people to start flooding them with advice.

G

GODisLOVE7

I agree... And when would it stop if we had to? It would be endless...

Reminds me of the movie The Invention of Lying with Ricky Gervais. It gives a funny perspective on what life would be like if we actually couldn't lie.

Nov 14, 2016
We all make mistakes like that...