Leibniz’ Contingency Argument

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Marano

Dec 7, 2011
So, what do you guys think of this video?

T

theanointedsinner

everything that exist (does this include also God himself) has an explanation of it's existence

what it's saying is, either there's infinitely long chain of contingently existing things (ie: I don't have to be born)

or, there is at least one "necessary" thing to cause those ongoing chain of contingently existing thing

it ultimately depends if someone is open-minded to the possibility of a spiritual being that created physical things

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
The core of the Leibnizian argument is that there are two different groups of things:
a) things that exist necessarily - God, abstract objects
b) things that exists contingently - as a reaction on something else (like Universe); the length of the chain is irrelevant, somewhere in the beginning it had to be created by a necessary existing object.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
The counterargument I can imagine is that somebody will say "the necessary existing object that created everything there is, is not a personality, it can be strings or something similar"

One would have to get into discussion if the supposed strings are existing necesarrily or not.

Marano

Dec 7, 2011
The counterargument I can imagine is that somebody will say "the necessary existing object that created everything there is, is not a personality, it can be strings or something similar"

One would have to get into discussion if the supposed strings are existing necesarrily or not.
If the necessary being isn't a person with intelligence it would not be able to create anything, every contigent thing demands an intelligent creator, or do we suppose chance created every contingent thing.
Also if the necessary being isn't intelligent how do we not fall on an infinite regress? We would never really know if that being was really necessary as it could just be the creation of another non intelligent being, so we end up on an infinite regress, etc.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

Maybe that is what 'string theory' is about.

Marano

Dec 7, 2011
I enjoyed it very much and found it to be spiritually plausible.
I don't know if you know about this, but there are many channels/videos on youtube that do philosophy from a christian/biblical perspective but I will never say they are always right, we should examine these things carefully, this one seems good.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
Maybe that is what 'string theory' is about.
I also think that the theory of strings is a try of atheism to get rid of God. Like multiverse is a try of atheism to get rid of fine tuning of this universe.

It cannot be proved, its just a hypothetical model. We will see what the future will bring.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
If the necessary being isn't a person with intelligence it would not be able to create anything, every contigent thing demands an intelligent creator, or do we suppose chance created every contingent thing.
Also if the necessary being isn't intelligent how do we not fall on an infinite regress? We would never really know if that being was really necessary as it could just be the creation of another non intelligent being, so we end up on an infinite regress, etc.
If I am not mistaken, the theory of strings postulates that strings vibrate on all possible frequencies making all possible universes at once. Therefore there is no specific willful creation of one line/plan, but all various universes are still being created eternally.

T

theanointedsinner

flip 12 coins and line them up verbatum from left to right, up to down

THT
HHH
THT
THT

2^12 = 4096
so that happen randomly is the odds of 1/4096

and since the H's form the image of the cross, the human mind can immediate recognize it as "intentioanlly set up" hence, helps eliminate some bias against the "intelligent design" argument