Lentils

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Then it appears you are rejecting Genesis. The meal was cooked by someone other than direct family. It was served just after the death of Abraham. It included lentils. All this as prescribed as Halakah.

I respect your comments but arrive at a different conclusion.
I'm not rejecting Genesis at all.
I'm questioning whether the conclusion you're drawing necessarily follows from it.
If your argument is that Genesis records a mourning context involving lentils, a death in the family, and practices later reflected in halakah, then I agree those parallels are noteworthy.
But observing similarities is not quite the same as proving that the entire later rabbinic institution was already present in fully developed form.
Where I think we may differ is methodological.
You see Genesis 25 as evidence that the later halakhic tradition is preserving an ancient custom.
I see that as a reasonable possibility.
What I hesitate to do is move from "this resembles later shiva customs" to "therefore the later halakhic details are demonstrated by the Genesis account itself."
So I don't dispute the antiquity of the practice.
In fact, I think you've made a good case that some elements may go back much earlier than many people assume.
I simply remain cautious about claiming more than the text explicitly establishes.
That said, I appreciate the distinction you're making.
You're not arguing that rabbinic Judaism invented these customs, but that it preserved and formalized customs that were already present in the patriarchal period.
That's a much stronger argument than claiming the practices originated in the rabbinic era, and on that point I think we are much closer than it first appeared.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Seeker47