Lessons from a country drive (essay)

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rosyshine

Senior Member
Feb 26, 2017
122
15
18
I adjusted the radio as I drove tonight along a dark road, heading toward swaths of farmland.
I had felt an urge to go out that way to get away from the city that I call home.
This country drive is the one I take when I want to feel free from traffic and busy, chaotic places -- when I feel like I need space to breathe.
I settled on a radio station when a preacher's voice struck me.
He spoke about how it's important to know God's heart, to really get to know Him.
To paraphrase as best as I can recall, he said that once we get to know God's heart, obedience flows from that because we deeply understand how wonderful God is.
It made me realize that I've been doing a lot of doubting and questioning, and, at times, complaining about my feelings inside.
The preacher said that the journey with God is not so much about the place you're going to, but rather it's about who you get to travel with.
And I've been thinking a lot about my wants lately, my dreams and my longed-for destinations.
At times I've thought, 'If I could just get this, have that, be there, see that person, etc., I'd be all better.'
But in the cares of the world and my heart, I think I've been too focused on getting to the next step and getting away from where I am -- and I've drifted from enjoying a simple walk with Jesus.
I think it's time to get to know Him more, not as a means to get somewhere, but for the joy of knowing Him.
The timing is interesting because, just a few days ago, this thought came to me as I was struggling with some feelings in my heart:
The way to make Jesus your first love is not to try and forget those things that should be lesser loves, but rather to know Him more. To know Him is to love Him -- and love Him first. And to love Him is to obey Him and abide in His love.
I'm glad I took this drive tonight.
It's funny how God can use a drive that takes you farther away from home to draw you closer to Himself.