Life isn't a reality show

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
It's come to mind recently that some people seem to think that life is a reality show. I think in our culture with Facebook, Twitter, and of course reality TV that people are beginning to think that they should be able to know every little detail of everyone's life at every moment. Sure, we've always had Miss/Mr Busybody poking around, but I think that it's gotten worse in recent years. People posting non-stop status updates on Facebook, Tweeting their every passing thought, TV cameras following people's every step seems to give some the feeling they have license to dig into everyone's life.

Believe it or not many if not most people still tend to want to have their privacy. If they wanted the intimate details of their life known, they would make them known. There is a fine line between honest questions among friends and prying in my opinion, and I think that line moves based on the nature of a friendship. It seems to me the line between acquaintances, friends, and intimate friends has been blurred in recent years to the point that many people can't tell the difference any more. As a result people run around asking questions that should be reserved for among close intimate friends of every person that crosses their path.

Food for thought:
Before you decide to ask someone a question about their personal life, stop and think before proceeding. Ask yourself, "do I really need to know this information?" If the need is not there, then ask yourself, "will my curiosity be considered to be prying?" Then move on to, "is our friendship close enough to be asking this?" Once you answer that question ask yourself," do I really know this person well enough to answer the prior two questions intelligently?"

L

Liz01

Oncefallen, you need to talk with some ppl i know......

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

My brothers girlfriend thinks its cute to post on facebook every time they get in a fight, and exactly what the fight was about.
My brother tried talking to her and asked her to stop, but she wouldn't listen. So i got kinda mad and asked my brother if i could talk to her about it, he said yeah so i sat her down and said look... nobody wants to know all the details about every fight you have with Brad, especially us his family. Why are you airin out all of your business like that to everybody??

This chick has an IQ of about 0, cause She looks at me and goes... Well you know how people get famous for their youtube vidoes, i thought somebody famous would see my posts and give us a reality show!!!

................................................................. I cant tell you how bad i wanted to come across that table.

Jun 25, 2010
A good definition of self-seeking:

"concerned only about getting what you want or need and not caring about what happens to other people"

Aug 2, 2009
My brothers girlfriend thinks its cute to post on facebook every time they get in a fight, and exactly what the fight was about.
My brother tried talking to her and asked her to stop, but she wouldn't listen. So i got kinda mad and asked my brother if i could talk to her about it, he said yeah so i sat her down and said look... nobody wants to know all the details about every fight you have with Brad, especially us his family. Why are you airin out all of your business like that to everybody??

This chick has an IQ of about 0, cause She looks at me and goes... Well you know how people get famous for their youtube vidoes, i thought somebody famous would see my posts and give us a reality show!!!

................................................................. I cant tell you how bad i wanted to come across that table.
Well you can't argue with that. o_O

K

kayem77

LOL! that was awesome

W

wwjd_kilden

so, oncefallen, how much milk is there in your fridge? :D

seriously though, yeah, people share the strangest things on facebook.

A

aussieguy

hahaha WOW now that is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha

i think twitter is so dumb knowing bout every little detail of peoples lives and facebook i like to call whingebook cause pretty miuch thats what it is. now granted i have had whinged a couple of times on there but its ok im going to a 12 step program about it hahahaha but it hasnt been about my life or anything its either something political or with my phone company but again its only been a couple of times not every 2 seconds of the day! haha

J

jkalyna

:) TRUE. THERE IS NO PRIVACY, NO DO NOT DISTURB SIGN HANDING ON THE DOOR. PRAYER IS AND HAS BEEN THE MOST PRIVATE RELATIONSHIP AND IS EVER BETWEEN US AND OUR LORD. SINCE PRAYER HAS BEEN TAKEN OUT OF SCHOOLS, PEOPLE ARE LOSING THEIR SPACE, THEIR PRIVATE CLOSET. IT'S EASY TO GO ALONG WITH THE CROWD, AND MAKE ALL THESE THINGS PRIORITY BEFORE A PRIVATE SESSION, MEETING, WITH NOBODY KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING, JUST THE LORD. THIS IS THE LOST TREASURE. HAPPY AND BLESSED IS THE MAN WHO IS COVERED UNDERNEATH HIS FEATHERS, 91 PSALM.:p:)

A

adekruif

If life isn't a reality show, somebody better inform the Kardashians'. Hehehe

I used to post on Facebook allot until I came to the conclusion that people only care about the big things in life.....not small little details. Well....that and somebody important at the time left Facebook. :)

K

keep_on_smiling

Great post! I love the food for thought!

I honestly don't know why some people even bother asking questions because typically they don't even care what the answer is.

I tend to find that the more private you are, the more nosey people tend to be (especially within families). With all these social sites I think the boundaries have been blurred as to what is personal information and what isn't.

People lack a sense of propriety, but really with what has become acceptable in society it's now confusing (to most) as to what is proper and what isn't. I have no problem in telling people they have crossed the line in asking something. If we don't tell them, how can we be sure they know what they are asking is inappropriate?