Like Parent, Like Partner?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MusicalMe

It's been said that a girl looks for a guy that's similar to her dad, and a guy looks for a girl that's similar to his mom. What do you think about this? Do you look for someone that reminds you of your parent? Why or why not?

G

Golfaholic30

My family is a little on the dysfunctional side, so I'm actually looking for someone that is the opposite of my parents. lol

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
This is a great question, MusicalMe (but if I didn't have to work... I'd be giving you a run for the money as to who starts the most threads :)).

I'm blessed to have the best possible Mom and Dad I could have ever had, along with strong male role models in my family, so I'd have to say that yes, I'm looking for someone who resembles them (hard-working, faithful, chivalrous, etc.) I must say though, it took me a long time to decide this--I used to fall into the trap of meeting guys who claimed they were in the process of becoming these things... but of course, never did, no matter how much I invested myself into their lives. It took me a while to actually realize, "Hey, the guys in my family are pretty great, maybe I should look for someone like them."

HOWEVER, I'd prefer that the guy I find... be a little less... pig-headed than my Dad, Grandpa, and brothers sometimes... I mean, I love them to pieces but SOMETIMES!!! But hey... I guess you can't have everything :).

grace

Sep 8, 2006
This is a great question, MusicalMe (but if I didn't have to work... I'd be giving you a run for the money as to who starts the most threads :)).

I'm blessed to have the best possible Mom and Dad I could have ever had, along with strong male role models in my family, so I'd have to say that yes, I'm looking for someone who resembles them (hard-working, faithful, chivalrous, etc.) I must say though, it took me a long time to decide this--I used to fall into the trap of meeting guys who claimed they were in the process of becoming these things... but of course, never did, no matter how much I invested myself into their lives. It took me a while to actually realize, "Hey, the guys in my family are pretty great, maybe I should look for someone like them."

HOWEVER, I'd prefer that the guy I find... be a little less... pig-headed than my Dad, Grandpa, and brothers sometimes... I mean, I love them to pieces but SOMETIMES!!! But hey... I guess you can't have everything :).

Sounds like you have a really great family :) I love your enthusiasmn when you talk about them :)

M

MusicalMe

I definitely look for a guy like my dad. He's funny, he's smart, he makes friends quickly, he's outgoing, and he's a Christian. So far, I haven't found anyone that lives up to this standard.

Maybe they don't make them like they used to...

M

MusicalMe

... along with strong male role models in my family, so I'd have to say that yes, I'm looking for someone who resembles them (hard-working, faithful, chivalrous, etc.) ..."Hey, the guys in my family are pretty great, maybe I should look for someone like them." ...
Speaking of which, your brother doesn't happen to be available, does he? ;)
lol j/k

N

Nicsk101

I cant say that I'm looking for someone like my Dad.... My father was only around once in while throughout my whole life even to this day... but God is restoring our relationship because he wants to be in my life....My stepdad is cool but has a big ego, so yeah... Okay now that im going off topic lol.. Im sorry but I am looking for a strong, rooted, Christian man... who can lead me and challenge me to do better, not so much leaving me on the shelf to collect dust. *straight face* Wow... this is actually a good thread BFF.. not that the other ones werent as good. lol :)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Speaking of which, your brother doesn't happen to be available, does he? ;)
lol j/k

Grace--thank you for your kind comment--my family rocks!! We have our problems, of course... and unfortunately, my adopted brother doesn't feel close to my parents, but he and I are very opposite. I LOOOVVVEE (gush, gush) my parents to pieces. It's come with age though! When I was in my pre-teens and teens... of course, I thought they were too strict and that I had the most boring, conservative parents ever. I fought with them all the time then. But (ah, the mistakes of youth) now I'm just glad they took the time to instill values... I tell them all the time how much I love them.

Music--if one of my bro's were free, you bet I'd introduce him to you. They've both done fantastically well, which is funny because both of their in-laws shunned them at first (one set still does to this day) over race.

However, they got the final say: one bro works at MicroSoft HQ (and is on the development team for the XBox--he never even finished college--he's just that good at computers... completely unlike me!) and the other speaks two and a half other languages besides English, has lived in three countries (hence, the "half"--his wife is native Korean and he knows enough to hold a basic conversation) and is now managing half a Best Buy store... and is on his way to managinng the other half as well.

I was planning to be a psychologist (special interest in criminal psych) but got sidetracked... I often say I'm the black sheep of the family because I haven't come close to their success--but they love me the way I am, mistakes, mishaps, and all! And I hope to find a husband someday who loves me like that, too. :)

N

Nicsk101

I was planning to be a psychologist (special interest in criminal psych) but got sidetracked... I often say I'm the black sheep of the family because I haven't come close to their success--but they love me the way I am, mistakes, mishaps, and all! And I hope to find a husband someday who loves me like that, too. :)[/quote]

I agree... I just want someone who truly loves me for who I am despite all the things I have done. :)

P

pinkstix56

You know i've actually haven't thought about that before...

S

SamIam

I married someone similar to one of my parents. I'll never do that again.

J

Jennifleur

I've heard this said before as well. But for me personally, I'd have to disagree. I'm looking for someone who's quite a bit different from my dad. I love him, but he has a lot of faults that I don't believe I could handle in my own relationship. And while my parents are still married and he's been present in my life, he hasn't really been an involved father, so we're not really close. I don't want to go into more depth as to his faults, because I don't want this to be about criticizing him, but I do know that I want someone who's different from him.

C

christiancollegegirl

My best friend is so much like my dad, yet in someways they`re nothing alike. it`s so wierd. I would have married him years ago if God hadn`t said no.

Jan 12, 2009
Music--if one of my bro's were free, you bet I'd introduce him to you. They've both done fantastically well, which is funny because both of their in-laws shunned them at first (one set still does to this day) over race.

He should have worn socks with holes when he met them...lol....I know this Korean lady who married an American and her parents felt that she should have married a korean...but when he met them he wore socks with holes and when they saw that...they were shocked that he would be humble enough to wear socks with holes in them...

I don't know if thats true or not...but that is the story she tells...lol