From my youth upwards,
My Spirit walked not with the souls of men
Nor looked upon the earth with human eyes,
The thirst of their ambition was not mine,
The aim of their existence was not mine.
My joys, my griefs, my passion and my powers
Made me a stranger, though I wore the form
I had no sympathy with breathing human flesh,
those that did not care for their suffering kin,
Nor midst the creatures of day that girded me,
My Spirit walked not with the souls of men
Nor looked upon the earth with human eyes,
The thirst of their ambition was not mine,
The aim of their existence was not mine.
My joys, my griefs, my passion and my powers
Made me a stranger, though I wore the form
I had no sympathy with breathing human flesh,
those that did not care for their suffering kin,
Nor midst the creatures of day that girded me,