R
RichMan
Guest
A lot of talk about electric cars, oil prices, cost of energy. What are you doing to deal with it?
You have done well, sir! My aunt and uncle moved to Montana a couple years ago and have been working to get off the grid. Most of my family thought they were crazy. I always wondered if they knew something they weren't sharing.I began living off the power grid in 2006.
I use solar for lights, internet, and antenna tv.
I use wood for heat and some cooking.
I use about 200 gallons of propane for my fridge and cooking, but could do without if need be.
I use a gas generator to run my well pump to fill my four 300 gal water tanks once a month.
I use about 50 gallons of gas a year to power the pump, chain saw, and wood splitter.
I know most can not do as I do.
I began preparing to live this way in 1990.
The only utility bill I have received during the last 16 years is internet.
We got internet last July for the first time.
You have done well, sir! My aunt and uncle moved to Montana a couple years ago and have been working to get off the grid. Most of my family thought they were crazy. I always wondered if they knew something they weren't sharing.
Now I know they were on to something. It might already be too late for the rest of us to prepare.
What I'd like is to get some land and start working of food independence myself. But I don't have the funds right now and we're looking at years before I can save enough to buy a parcel. Too late? Maybe.
I recently installed a solar system which powers all my lights, TV, SxS refrigerator, chest freezer, electric water heater and a window a/c in the summer. I have propane heating but if the propane runs out I would have a tough time heating my place and I don't have a well.
I have a spring nearby but the water would need to be filtered and probably boiled to make it drinkable. We also get a lot of rain here so I could catch rain water but need to get a large tank for that.
At this time I'm not totally off grid but I could get by without it if I had to. I have at least a years worth of food along with toiletries stored up and continue to add to it.
Check on line for Berkey water filters.
Not cheap, about $400 but they work.
I have 2 just in case I ever need them.
Can't you use the HCQ pills from camping supply companies to kill the bugs?They're overpriced. I have capable filters but there are still some nasty bugs that filters don't filter out.
A solar still works via evaporation and condensation. Probably one of the best water purification methods out there. I want to build a big one someday. You can use it to recycle all manner of fluids if they can evaporate. Blood. Urine. Tainted water.Check on line for Berkey water filters.
Not cheap, about $400 but they work.
I have 2 just in case I ever need them.
Can't you use the HCQ pills from camping supply companies to kill the bugs?
Boiling works for biologicals, but not chemical pollutants. I do keep some water purification tabs, but I see those more as a measure to use if I'm on the move. When you settle in somewhere, other methods can be used to get quality water. Whether rain collection, a solar still, etc.You could and you would probably be just fine, but boiling is the only sure fire way to make the water absolutly safe. Besides would you really want to buy all those pills and use them everyday?
You don't want to drink distilled water, not healthy.A solar still works via evaporation and condensation. Probably one of the best water purification methods out there. I want to build a big one someday. You can use it to recycle all manner of fluids if they can evaporate. Blood. Urine. Tainted water.
Basically the moisture evaporates out, then condenses on a sheet of plastic and is collected.
Sometimes you don't have a choice.You don't want to drink distilled water, not healthy.
They cost 10 cents each, after 2 hours they will kill all the bugs and germs. You can then take the top off and let it air out if you wish. You can't taste the chlorine but it will be the first thing to evaporate out.You could and you would probably be just fine, but boiling is the only sure fire way to make the water absolutly safe. Besides would you really want to buy all those pills and use them everyday?
Water is one of the most powerful solvents if not the most powerful solvent on earth. It will strip your body of minerals and nutrients. I used to live in a place where you couldn't drink the water so we got a still but soon learned we couldn't drink that water.Sometimes you don't have a choice.
I'm also curious as to why you say this?
That's an interesting point. Theoretically though any fluid with a lesser concentration of minerals and nutrients will flush some of these out of your body if I understand diffusion correctly.Water is one of the most powerful solvents if not the most powerful solvent on earth. It will strip your body of minerals and nutrients. I used to live in a place where you couldn't drink the water so we got a still but soon learned we couldn't drink that water.
You don't want to drink distilled water, not healthy.
Yes, but few people drink rainwater. Even if you do it hits your roof and then collects in pots.That's an interesting point. Theoretically though any fluid with a lesser concentration of minerals and nutrients will flush some of these out of your body if I understand diffusion correctly.
You could add some healthy minerals back in by adding a small amount of sea salt (NOT table salt) to your water after purification.
Anyways, rainwater is essentially distilled and then condensed around a dust or smoke particulate. It's probably one of the safer water sources. But I see what you're saying about maybe wanting to balance the pH and mineral content first.