Thinking about the idea of “longsuffering,” I first thought of Scriptures concerning Job and the Apostle Paul. Each faced circumstances in their lives where they exhibited the need for “longsuffering.”
When I think of what “longsuffering” means, to me it means having great patience in times of adversity and or afflictions. Both Job and Paul exhibited such patience when faced with adversities and afflictions. Although, to be honest, I give Job more credit for unusual faith rather than patience because he surely voiced his displeasure concerning the afflictions that beset him. To his credit, he did say:
Job 13:15 .) Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.16 .) He also shall be my salvation: for an hypocrite shall not come before him.
And we know from Scripture that Paul praised God in times of his afflictions and imprisonment. As I was considering these, it occurred to me that the one person who most exhibited the quality of “longsuffering” was God Himself.
I think of times that I will hear a news report on TV, and the horror or sadness of an even being reported deeply troubles me, and I simply cannot understand how such things could occur, how any person could commit such acts. Then I realize that I am only being subjected to the few instances that I am aware of. Imaging how God must suffer. Given that He sees all, knows all, imagine how He must grieve when He sees the atrocities some of His creations commit. I can’t even begin to imagine what God must suffer each and every minute of every day. To be able to do so would surely drive one insane. How could our earthly minds ever comprehend such? And, yet, He still loves us, and He is still “longsuffering” towards us.
2 Peter 3: 9 .) The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Knowing that God shows such patience towards us, are we not compelled to show such patience towards Him? We pray for various reasons in times of adversity and or affliction, and sometimes, our prayers seem to go unanswered. It is in these times when we are called upon to be “longsuffering” in my opinion.
I also am reminded that the “longsuffering” of believers can and often times does serve as an inspiration to other believers, and as a witness to unbelievers. Can we read the stories of Job and Paul and not be inspired by their “longsuffering” faith and trust in God? Thinking of the people I know in this life that have been or are beset with adversities and or afflictions, and seeing how they remain faithful and trusting in God, has served to inspire me, and has served as an ensample of how I should strive to be “longsuffering” in such times.
May God bless and keep all who are “longsuffering” in their faith and trust in God.
When I think of what “longsuffering” means, to me it means having great patience in times of adversity and or afflictions. Both Job and Paul exhibited such patience when faced with adversities and afflictions. Although, to be honest, I give Job more credit for unusual faith rather than patience because he surely voiced his displeasure concerning the afflictions that beset him. To his credit, he did say:
Job 13:15 .) Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.16 .) He also shall be my salvation: for an hypocrite shall not come before him.
And we know from Scripture that Paul praised God in times of his afflictions and imprisonment. As I was considering these, it occurred to me that the one person who most exhibited the quality of “longsuffering” was God Himself.
I think of times that I will hear a news report on TV, and the horror or sadness of an even being reported deeply troubles me, and I simply cannot understand how such things could occur, how any person could commit such acts. Then I realize that I am only being subjected to the few instances that I am aware of. Imaging how God must suffer. Given that He sees all, knows all, imagine how He must grieve when He sees the atrocities some of His creations commit. I can’t even begin to imagine what God must suffer each and every minute of every day. To be able to do so would surely drive one insane. How could our earthly minds ever comprehend such? And, yet, He still loves us, and He is still “longsuffering” towards us.
2 Peter 3: 9 .) The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Knowing that God shows such patience towards us, are we not compelled to show such patience towards Him? We pray for various reasons in times of adversity and or affliction, and sometimes, our prayers seem to go unanswered. It is in these times when we are called upon to be “longsuffering” in my opinion.
I also am reminded that the “longsuffering” of believers can and often times does serve as an inspiration to other believers, and as a witness to unbelievers. Can we read the stories of Job and Paul and not be inspired by their “longsuffering” faith and trust in God? Thinking of the people I know in this life that have been or are beset with adversities and or afflictions, and seeing how they remain faithful and trusting in God, has served to inspire me, and has served as an ensample of how I should strive to be “longsuffering” in such times.
May God bless and keep all who are “longsuffering” in their faith and trust in God.
