looking for help reconciling the Sabbath with common observation?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I understand the distinction you're making between the moral law and the ceremonial law.
However, my difficulty is that the New Testament writers themselves do not consistently make that precise division in the way you are presenting it.
You are constructing a framework in which the Sabbath belongs to the eternal moral law, while the feast days and ceremonial sabbaths belong to the ceremonial law.
The question is whether the apostles explicitly make that distinction when they discuss the Sabbath?
Jesus did not make any statement that made the sabbath appear as if it would disappear.

The sabbath was so well kept in Jesus's day. it was over done, the Jewish people had made it a burden.. over kept.

Jesus didn't need to remind them..
He needed to help them see the difference between the way God intended them to keep it and the way they were placing extreme laws on it.

Mar 2:27-28
27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: 28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

If the Sabbath was about to pass away. Why did Jesus say He is Lord of the Sabbath?

There is nothing saying the 10 commanents stopped at the cross. Or the sabbath stopped at the cross.

The question is was it a shadow law or a moral law?

The school master was finished and the laws that pointed to Jesus were nailed to the cross..

The sabbath is one of the 10. And it was established before sin.

The sabbath is pointing us to creation and the creator. The cerimonial laws pointed to Jesus the lamb that gave His life.
 
Jesus did not make any statement that made the sabbath appear as if it would disappear.

The sabbath was so well kept in Jesus's day. it was over done, the Jewish people had made it a burden.. over kept.

Jesus didn't need to remind them..
He needed to help them see the difference between the way God intended them to keep it and the way they were placing extreme laws on it.

Mar 2:27-28
27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: 28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

If the Sabbath was about to pass away. Why did Jesus say He is Lord of the Sabbath?

There is nothing saying the 10 commanents stopped at the cross. Or the sabbath stopped at the cross.

The question is was it a shadow law or a moral law?

The school master was finished and the laws that pointed to Jesus were nailed to the cross..

The sabbath is one of the 10. And it was established before sin.

The sabbath is pointing us to creation and the creator. The cerimonial laws pointed to Jesus the lamb that gave His life.
I agree that Jesus never spoke as though the Sabbath were a burden to be discarded.
In fact, Mark 2:27-28 shows Him correcting abuses of the Sabbath, not attacking the Sabbath itself.
He said, "The sabbath was made for man," which certainly emphasizes its benefit rather than its abolition.
However, I think you're making a subtle shift in the argument.
Originally, the claim was that the Sabbath remains binding because it is part of the moral law.
Now the support being offered is that Jesus never explicitly said it would disappear.
Those are not quite the same argument.
There are many things the New Testament does not explicitly say will disappear, yet the question is how the apostles later treated them after Christ's death and resurrection.
You ask, "If the Sabbath was about to pass away, why did Jesus say He is Lord of the Sabbath?"
My answer would be that being Lord of something does not by itself tell us whether its administration remains unchanged.
Christ is Lord of the Temple, yet the Temple system reached its fulfillment in Him.
Christ is Lord of the priesthood, yet Hebrews teaches a change in priesthood.
So the title itself does not settle the question one way or the other.
Where I think your argument is strongest is when you point back to creation.
If the Sabbath was truly established for all mankind at creation and not merely for Israel under Sinai, then that is a significant consideration.
But even then, I return to the same question: how do the apostles apply that in the New Covenant?
When they teach the churches, I do not find them saying, "Remember the Sabbath day."
Instead, I find them emphasizing faith in Christ, life in the Spirit, love of neighbor, and liberty regarding the observance of days.
So I agree that the Sabbath is not easily dismissed as merely another ceremonial ordinance.
But neither do I see the apostles arguing for it the way they argue for commands against idolatry, adultery, murder, theft, or covetousness.
That is why I remain unconvinced by both extremes: I do not think the Sabbath can simply be waved away, yet I also do not see an explicit New Covenant command requiring believers to keep it as Israel did under the Mosaic covenant.
To me, the central issue remains this: not whether the Sabbath existed before Sinai, but how the inspired apostles instructed the church concerning it after the cross and resurrection.
That is where I believe the discussion must ultimately be settled.
 
To me, the central issue remains this: not whether the Sabbath existed before Sinai, but how the inspired apostles instructed the church concerning it after the cross and resurrection.
That is where I believe the discussion must ultimately be settled.
I have found that God has left hooks for people to hang their doubts on.

If you are looking for overwhelming evidence in the word. The word is often silent. But I believe because it is silent it is more reason to believe nothing has changed.

If there was a change it would have been clear.

There are lots of verses saying we should obey the law..

The devil knows that sin seperates us from God. Causing us to sin is his aim.

The Catholic church claims the change to Sunday.

And the dark ages = no reading of the Bible for most people.

The Reformation = the truth slowly coming back to the people.
Sunday tradition was shown to be false.

I find lots of evidence for the sabbath but you can only see it if your looking for it.

Nature ... and many testimonies

 
I have found that God has left hooks for people to hang their doubts on.

If you are looking for overwhelming evidence in the word. The word is often silent. But I believe because it is silent it is more reason to believe nothing has changed.

If there was a change it would have been clear.

There are lots of verses saying we should obey the law..

The devil knows that sin seperates us from God. Causing us to sin is his aim.

The Catholic church claims the change to Sunday.

And the dark ages = no reading of the Bible for most people.

The Reformation = the truth slowly coming back to the people.
Sunday tradition was shown to be false.

I find lots of evidence for the sabbath but you can only see it if your looking for it.

Nature ... and many testimonies

The debate is whether the apostolic writings teach that Sabbath observance itself remains a binding New Covenant obligation.
That is the point I still find unresolved.
The strongest argument for your view is its creation foundation.
The strongest argument against it is the apparent liberty regarding days found in Romans 14 and Colossians 2.
That is where I think the discussion really needs to focus.
Sorry I don't do youtube.
 
However, I think you're making a subtle shift in the argument.
I think both angles are correct.

Both.. that Christ didn't give any hint of the sabbath ending
And that it is a moral. That's why Jesus didn't show any hint of it ending because it is a moral law.
 
I think both angles are correct.

Both.. that Christ didn't give any hint of the sabbath ending
And that it is a moral. That's why Jesus didn't show any hint of it ending because it is a moral law.
I have given the scripture on the matter and it's up to you how you take it. I'm going to follow what it says.