You claim that I have read my theological system back into John 3:16 while you interpret the same verse in isolation. You remove it from its surrounding literary, historical, or canonical setting to force you specific meaning to it. This is called eisegesis (reading a preconceived meaning into the text).
Isolating a verse is a severe hermeneutical error. It violates the core interpretive rule known as the Analogy of Faith. The Analogy of Faith is built on the conviction that because God is the primary author of Scripture, the Bible is a unified, harmonious whole that cannot contradict itself.
When there is a question about the true and full sense of any Scripture... it must be searched and known by other places that speak more clearly." Dark or difficult verses must always be illuminated by clearer ones.
A doctrine cannot be safely built on an isolated, standalone snippet. A text must be weighed within its immediate literary context, the book it belongs to, and ultimately, the entire scope of redemptive history centering on Jesus Christ.
When someone extracts a verse by itself to override what the rest of the Bible explicitly reveals, it turns the Scripture into an individualistic, atomistic tool rather than submitting to the Bible's full, canonical authority.
You claim that "the world" in John 3:16 refers to every single person in the world, but John 17:9 reveals "I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours".
Jesus explicitly distinguishes "the world" from "those whom you have given me" (the elect given to Him by the Father). Christ’s substitutionary death has a specific, designated target—"the sheep" whom the Father gave Him—rather than an undirected or universal ransom for those who ultimately perish.
John 17:6 "I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world".
The Lord Jesus doesn't say that Father gave Him the whole world, instead He said "out of the world", This can only be describing the elect. Those chosen by God to be saved out of a fallen world.
The phrase "whosoever believes" (pas ho pisteuōn, literally "all the believing ones") in John 3:16 defines the character or identity of those who are saved (the elect) rather than implying an open, universal human ability or potential to choose God.
John 6:37 "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out".
This verse links coming to Jesus directly to being "given" to Him by the Father beforehand, meaning the scope of those who truly believe is bounded by the Father's electing gift.
John 6:44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up on the last day."
John 10:26-27 "But you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."
People do not believe in order to become His sheep; rather, they believe because they already belong to His flock ("my sheep") given to Him by the Father. These passages explicitly places divine appointment (tetagmenoi) as the chronological prerequisite that results in someone believing, rather than faith originating from human volition.
I don't think you've actually addressed my central point.
I have no disagreement with the Analogy of Faith as a principle.
Of course Scripture interprets Scripture.
Of course John 3:16 must be read in light of John's Gospel and the rest of the Bible.
The question is whether your interpretation arises from those texts or is imposed upon John 3:16 by a theological system.
Notice what I actually said. I did not claim that John 3:16 settles every question about election, regeneration, or divine sovereignty.
I explicitly acknowledged that those doctrines are argued from other passages.
My point was much narrower: John 3:16 itself does not say "world means only the elect."
That conclusion must be established from elsewhere and then brought back to the verse.
Likewise, I don't think John 17 proves your case.
In John 17:9, Jesus says He is not praying for the world in that particular prayer.
But it does not follow that the word world everywhere in John's Gospel means "the elect."
In fact, John 17:6 says the Father gave people to Christ out of the world, which seems to distinguish the disciples from the world rather than redefine the world as the disciples.
I also agree that John 6 and John 10 teach important truths about divine initiative.
The Father gives people to the Son, the Father draws, and Christ's sheep hear His voice.
Those are real texts that must be accounted for.
But again, the existence of election passages does not automatically redefine every occurrence of world into elect.
In fact, the thing I find most striking is that your interpretation requires "world" to mean something very close to its opposite. Throughout John's Gospel, the world is often portrayed as the realm of unbelief, darkness, and rebellion.
John 3:16 is powerful precisely because God loved that world.
The wonder of the verse is not that God loved His elect people.
No one disputes that.
The wonder is that God loved a world in rebellion against Him.
So no, I am not isolating John 3:16.
I am reading it in its immediate context and allowing its language to speak before importing conclusions from elsewhere.
Then, after hearing what John 3:16 says, I ask how it fits with John 6, John 10, and John 17.
That is also an application of the Analogy of Faith.
The real issue between us is not whether Scripture interprets Scripture. We both agree it does.
The issue is whether the clearer passages should be used to explain John 3:16 or to redefine its ordinary language.
That is where I remain unconvinced by your argument.