Lords Supper - Passover 2021

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Passover 2021 begins Saturday, March 27, at sunset & ends Sunday, April 4, at nightfall

Passover week: Christ triumphal entry is on Nisan 10, Christ is killed on Nisan 14, then 3 day's later He's is resurrected.

Lev 23: (to shorten post I paraphrased vs 1-5)
1 the LORD spake to Moses & Aaron in Egypt, saying,

2 The month of Nisan shall be the 1st month of the year to you.

3 On the 10th day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb:
(MY NOTE: The passover lamb is chosen on Nisan 10)

5 Your lamb shall be without blemish:
(MY NOTE: Jesus was sinless 2 Cor 5:21, Heb 4:15, 1 Jn 3:5 1 Pet 1:19, 1 Pet 2:22)

6 Ye shall keep it up until the 14th day of the same month & kill it in the evening.
(MY NOTE The Passover lamb is to be killed on Nisan 14. Jesus approximate Nisan 14 timeline: Day begins at sundown. Jesus eats his last supper with his 12 chosen (7-9pm). They go the Garden of Gethsemane & Jesus prays (9pm -midnight) He is arrested (midnight) the Priests accuse, abuse & condemn Him (midnight-6am). He's taken to Pilate questioned, abused, scourged & sentenced to death (6am til 8am). Nailed to the cross (9am) suffers til & dies at (3pm) all on Nisan 14.)

7 The 1st day will be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
(MY NOTE: Holy convocation: Hebrew: holy = set apart/sanctified/called out. H6942 - qadash - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (NASB). Hebrew: convocation = rehearsal/recital. H4744 מקרא - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon. Holy convocation - A set apart rehearsal. Yearly for aprox 1500 yrs the Nation of Israel rehearsed Messiah's coming sin payment death)

1 Cor 5:7 (C) For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
(MY NOTE: Christ is our Passover sacrifice/lamb)

Ex 12:43-48. No foreigners, servants, sojourners or strangers could partake in the in the Passover meal unless they were circumcised. (Also see Gen 17:7-14)
(MY NOTE: Only people under the covenant of circumcision were allowed to eat the Passover meal)

1 Cor 11:27 Who ever eats this bread, & drinks this cup of the Lord, unworthily, will be guilty of the body & blood of the Lord
(MY NOTE: I've seen many people/teachers/preachers tie/force sin into this verse. Jesus who gave the ordinance, PAID, for the believers sins. This verse is warning NON-believers/anyone that hasn't been sealed with Christ New covenant indwelling Holy Spirit. Uncircumcised were forbidden to partake in the OT & NON-believers are not to partake in this NT ordinance)

Ex 12:14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.
(MY NOTE: This day shall be MEMORIAL = a reminder/record or chronicle of redemption)

1 Cor 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me
(MY NOTE: Do this in REMEMBRANCE of Me & My: Finished sin redemptive payment/work)

Passover & The Lords Supper are God given ordinance's = Decree/laws given as as memorial/remembrance, of REDEMPTION!

For Jews, deliverance from slavery & 10th plague/angel of death. For Christians deliverance from sin & death. (Ex 12:26,27)

Like Passover the Last Supper ended with the singing Hallel hymns (Ps 113-118 - Mat 26:30 & Mk 14:26)

Jn 6:53-58 Speaks to the importance of our partaking

As to how often: I believe Acts 20:7 suggest weekly, as does Lev 24:9 & 1 Chron 9:32.

Christ death shadows Temple tradition:
At 9am on Nisan 14 the Temple Priest tied the lamb to a stake to be sacrificed. The Priest then blows the shofar (rams horn/trump). So all the people knew the chosen lamb is prepared to be sacrificed.

Early Nisan 14 God's sinless Lamb/Christ was carrying his cross, marching up the hill to Calvary. At 9am (Mk 15:25) on Nisan 14 Jesus the Lamb of God is tied and nailed to the cross.

At 3pm on Nisan 14 the Temple Priest brings a sharp knife and kills the sinless lamb. The Priest then blows the shofar (rams horn/trump). So, all the people know the Passover lamb as been sacrificed/killed.

At 3pm (Mk 15:33) on Nisan 14 Jesus Christ hears the Temple trump and in a loud voice (Jn 19:28 & 30) Jesus proclaims: tetelestai/It is FINISHED. Tetelestai/also an accounting term meaning Completed/Paid in Full.

Parsing a High Day:
John 18:28 Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover.
(MY NOTE: Jesus is taken to the Roman/gentile Hall of Judgment on Passover/Nisan 14 (the day the lamb was killed). Before the Passover/Seder Meal was to be eaten on Nisan 15)

John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that Nisan 15 was a Sabbath - High Day) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
(MY NOTE: Vs 31, For that sabbath was a "HIGH DAY". Although treated as a Sabbath, a High Day is not necessarily the 7th day of the week. High Day - 6 of the 7 possible days Nisan 15 falls on are High (sabbath) Days. A High Sabbath is the 1st day of the 7 day Feast of Unleavened Bread.

Jesus died on Passover/Nisan 14. EVERY Nisan 14 is always a DAY OF PREPATATION, for the Seder meal eaten on Nisan 15/always treated as a Sabbath even when it doesn't fall on day 7. Jesus was removed from the cross on Nisan 14/day of preparation before sunset 6-7pm).

Nisan 14 Passover (day of preparation) began, Wed evening 7p til 7a.
Nisan 14 Thur morning 7a til 7p: 9a nailed to the Cross & 3pm Jesus dies/He is immediately in the spirit realm = day 1 in the belly of the earth.

Nisan 15 Thurs (high Sabbath) evening 7p til 7a: Jesus is in the grave = 12 hrs night 1
Nisan 15 Fri (high Sabbath) morning 7a til 7p: = 12 hrs day 2

Nisan 16 Fri evening (Sabbath) 7p til 7a: = 12 hrs night 2
Nisan 16 Sat morning (Sabbath) 7a til 7p: = 12 hrs day 3

Nisan 17 Sat evening 7p til 7a: (1st day of the week) any amount of time after 7p before 7a = night 3 (Resurrection Day)
Nisan 17 Sun morning 7a til 7p: Disciples encounter risen Jesus Matt 28:1-10.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
Jesus said partaking of the bread and wine were to remember him, but they weren't remembering him when the church ate together. That's why Paul scolded them.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Jesus said partaking of the bread and wine were to remember him, but they weren't remembering him when the church ate together. That's why Paul scolded them.
I agree,

When we partake, we look forward to the future: "you do show/proclaim the Lord's death until he comes". Remembering the New Covenant cut in the blood & the breaking of Jesus body & forever sealed in resurrection power.

KJB dictionary defines: As fellowship/intercourse between 2 persons or more. Misuse of this Christ given ordinance can lead to chastisement for the believer as well (Heb 12:6).

KJ Bible dictionary definition: COMMUNION, n.

1. Fellowship; intercourse between two persons or more; interchange of transactions, or offices; a state of giving and receiving; agreement; concord.

We are naturally led to seek communion and fellowship with other.

What communion hath light with darkness? 2 Cor. 6.

Mar 4, 2020
1 Cor 11:27 Who ever eats this bread, & drinks this cup of the Lord, unworthily, will be guilty of the body & blood of the Lord
(MY NOTE: I've seen many people/teachers/preachers tie/force sin into this verse. Jesus who gave the ordinance, PAID, for the believers sins. This verse is warning NON-believers/anyone that hasn't been sealed with Christ New covenant indwelling Holy Spirit. Uncircumcised were forbidden to partake in the OT & NON-believers are not to partake in this NT ordinance)
Agreed with that, but there are ways that believers in Christ can partake of the Lord's supper in an unworthy manner.

Examining the context:

1 Corinthians 11:17-22
17Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse. 18For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. 19For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you. 20When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. 21For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken. 22What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

They had divisions, heresies, drunkenness, and were eating the supper to not remember Jesus. The Lord's Supper is essentially a memorial service, but they were treating it like an all-you-can-eat buffet and getting drunk and arguing and spreading false teachings.
↑↑↑↑↑
This is the unworthy manner.

All a Christian must do to take the Lord's supper is eat it in remembrance of all Jesus did for us. That's it. It is to be done singularly in remembrance of Christ.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
If we obey what is in scripture by celebrating the salvation that we have through Christ by celebrating the wonderful history God gave us that is an example of that salvation, we are doing it as love of our God, thanking Him for His wonders. It is an act of love and of joy in being one of His.

God gives us special blessing on the day God preserved for us, I send God's joy to all on this wonderful Saturday.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
I agree,

When we partake, we look forward to the future: "you do show/proclaim the Lord's death until he comes". Remembering the New Covenant cut in the blood & the breaking of Jesus body & forever sealed in resurrection power.
Yes, we remember our Lords sacrifice.....until he comes again,

For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. Heb.12:3

That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; Phil.3:10

How being conformed to Christs image, being made one with him, experiencing the contradiction and sufferings Christ faced, is falsely taught as separation from God is stunning.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Ex 12:43 . . No foreigner is to eat of it

Christians sometimes accept invitations to their Jewish friends' homes for
Passover. Well; I think this is not a good idea because Passover is a uniquely
Jewish memorial.

I would say that if someone isn't born an Hebrew, nor a proselyte converted
to Judaism, then the Seder is strictly off limits and their Jewish friends should
know better than to invite them.
_

B

Blackpowderduelist

Unworthy manner equals 2 things: being a nonbeliever, and not discerning the body and blood of Christ.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

Jewish memorial.

to Judaism, then the Seder is strictly off limits and their Jewish friends should
_
I have accepted an invitation to a Christian service celebrating Passover. There was a written program we followed, one that accepted that Christ was crucified. It was a spirit filled evening that left me with wonderful memories of that night.

Christ did not forbid us to celebrate Passover. Passover is Christian, God did not ask it to be an exclusively Jewish Holiday. God is our God, not only a Jewish God. Christ said He is one with the Father.

Laish

Jul 31, 2016

Jewish memorial.

_
Is it even a valid Passover meal giving that there is no temple to offer the sacrifice as seen in Deuteronomy 16:2
Blessings
Bill

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Is it even a valid Passover meal giving that there is no temple to offer the
sacrifice as seen in Deuteronomy 16:2
It is not valid. (Deut 16:5-6)

Not only that, but Passover is a pilgrimage type of feast. If Jews are out of
country and can't make it to Israel on time, they have to wait and do theirs
one month later than usual (Num 9:5-11). Every American Jew who
partakes of a Seder beginning after sunset March 27, 2021 will be doing so
illegally should they do so while here at home.

In addition, the lamb has to be cooked and eaten entirely intact. It must not
be butchered (Ex 12:9). Modern Seders consist of dismembered lambs.
_

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

It is not valid. (Deut 16:5-6)

Not only that, but Passover is a pilgrimage type of feast. If Jews are out of
country and can't make it to Israel on time, they have to wait and do theirs
one month later than usual (Num 9:5-11). Every American Jew who
partakes of a Seder beginning after sunset March 27, 2021 will be doing so
illegally should they do so while here at home.

In addition, the lamb has to be cooked and eaten entirely intact. It must not
be butchered (Ex 12:9). Modern Seders consist of dismembered lambs.
_
I truly believe you are wrong in this interpretation. Christ celebrated Passover in an upper room, and there is no scripture saying He ate an entire lamb.

Christians say that Christ freed us from celebrating Passover, as we are freed of obeying the Jewish traditions and even some commandments, like to cut flesh to signify belonging to God. We are not obligated to follow these physical type commands given to help the Hebrews follow the spirit of the commands. But we are to follow the spirit of the commands. For example, we are to be circumcised in our hearts.

I don't think Christ freed us from celebrating Christ--this is the only day that God asked us to celebrate Him. We have decided to do that on Christmas, but it is men, not the Lord, who decided that. We substitute the communion service for the feast, but again that was man's idea not the Lord's.

I don't think our celebration needs to follow every outline given in the old testament, any more than we are to follow the command to cut flesh. But we ARE to follow the command to have joy in the Lord with a feast, and not a feast of pig that makes fun of the old testament commands to not eat anything that is created to eat garbage as a sign to us to not feed our spirit with garbage ideas.

Some scriptures to think about:
1 Corinthians 5:7 7 Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

Exodus 23:15 Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread; for seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt. “No one is to appear before me empty-handed.

Joshua 5:10 On the evening of the fourteenth day of the month, while camped at Gilgal on the plains of Jericho, the Israelites celebrated the Passover.

Luke 22: 15 And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.

Numbers 9:13 But if anyone who is ceremonially clean and not on a journey fails to celebrate the Passover, they must be cut off from their people for not presenting the LORD’s offering at the appointed time. They will bear the consequences of their sin.

John 13: 1 It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. 2 The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. 3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God;

B

Blackpowderduelist

The passover supper, was a sign or symbolic of Jesus. It was as Paul said, "a shadow of things to come, and Christ is the substance". So there is no obligation to it. However we have freedom and can enjoy participating in a passover supper understanding and learning how the elements point to Christ Jesus. We have freedom to participate in and learn from all the feast days But we are not obligation to keep them; about how the resemble Christ. The law is fulfilled in Christ and we are free from it. We have freedom in Christ. So go, enjoy, learn, have fun but not out of obligation, out of the greater law of love, and from freedom.
However if it's not something you want to do, no problem. Romans 14 is clear.
I do however recommend the bread / body and the wine/ blood of Christ Jesus as often as you can take it. My church does every Sunday morning.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The passover supper, was a sign or symbolic of Jesus. It was as Paul said, "a shadow of things to come, and Christ is the substance". So there is no obligation to it. However we have freedom and can enjoy participating in a passover supper understanding and learning how the elements point to Christ Jesus. We have freedom to participate in and learn from all the feast days But we are not obligation to keep them; about how the resemble Christ. The law is fulfilled in Christ and we are free from it. We have freedom in Christ. So go, enjoy, learn, have fun but not out of obligation, out of the greater law of love, and from freedom.
However if it's not something you want to do, no problem. Romans 14 is clear.
I do however recommend the bread / body and the wine/ blood of Christ Jesus as often as you can take it. My church does every Sunday morning.
When something is a shadow of the realities to come, it has nothing to do with making a statement by the Lord that you do not need to do as I tell you to do. The entire old testament is fulfilled in the new testament, it is a shadow of the new testament. That it is a shadow does not mean that the new testament wipes out the old testament.

I think that the freedom that Christ brings us is the freedom for our sins meaning that we must die. I have even heard people interpret it to mean we are free to sin, now! It is not a freedom from celebrating with joy.

These things are given to us for our benefit, not for the benefit of the Lord.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I truly believe you are wrong in this interpretation. Christ celebrated Passover
in an upper room, and there is no scripture saying He ate an entire lamb.
Do you think Jesus did it wrong, then?

I don't think Christ freed us from celebrating Christ--this is the only day that God asked us to celebrate Him. We have decided to do that on Christmas, but it is men, not the Lord, who decided that. We substitute the communion service for the feast, but again that was man's idea not the Lord's.
Who is this "we"??? We are to praise the Lord always, so saying we are given to celebrate one
day alone seems wrong. Jesus did not say, eat a Passover meal in remembrance of me. No!

And He took the bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them,
saying,
“This is My body, given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”

In the same way, after supper He took the cup, saying,
“This cup
is the new covenant in My blood, which is poured out for you."

B

Blackpowderduelist

When something is a shadow of the realities to come, it has nothing to do with making a statement by the Lord that you do not need to do as I tell you to do. The entire old testament is fulfilled in the new testament, it is a shadow of the new testament. That it is a shadow does not mean that the new testament wipes out the old testament.

I think that the freedom that Christ brings us is the freedom for our sins meaning that we must die. I have even heard people interpret it to mean we are free to sin, now! It is not a freedom from celebrating with joy.

These things are given to us for our benefit, not for the benefit of the Lord.
Read the book of Galatians chapters 4, 5 and 6, and Romans chapter 14, and Colosians chapter 2.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Christ celebrated Passover in an upper room,
The room was in a home located in the city of Jerusalem, in the land of
Israel; which is in compliance with Deut 16:5-7.

there is no scripture saying He ate an entire lamb.
It is not essential that the entire lamb be completely consumed. (Ex 12:10)
_

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
I have accepted an invitation to a Christian service celebrating Passover.

I am unfamiliar with Christianized versions of Passover.

However; I do know for sure that it is unacceptable to observe the Jews'
Passover away from Jerusalem. (Deut 16:5-7)

The Jew's Passover is a pilgrimage type of feast. When out of country and
can't make it to Israel on time, they have to wait and do theirs one month
later than usual (Num 9:5-11). Everyone who partakes of the Jews' Seder
this coming March 27, 2021 will be doing so illegally should they do so while
here at home.

In addition, the lamb has to be roasted with fire and eaten entirely intact. It
must not be butchered (Ex 12:9). Modern Seders consist of dismembered
lambs. Everyone who partakes of a lamb in that condition will be doing so
illegally.

The rules governing Passover are specific (Num 9:12). Failure to comply
with them merits execration. (Num 9:13 and Deut 27:26)
_

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org

FAQ: Doesn't Eph 2:11-13 say that Christians are not foreigners?

A: Yes, but only in respect to covenants of promise; which are entirely separate
from the covenant of law.

In other words; the covenant that Moses' people agreed upon with God
under oath per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy was codified
something like 430 years after Abraham's covenants; and that fact is
extremely important because according to Deut 5:2-4, Rom 4:15, Rom 5:13,
and Gal 3:17, the laws of God are not retroactive; viz: failure to comply with
Moses' law won't annul benefits related to the promises that God made to
Abraham.

Eph 2:11-22 is well worth the time and effort to comprehend because it
speaks of a new man who, we know from Gal 3:28, is neither Jew nor
Gentile.

Folks sometimes attempt to appropriate Gal 3:29 to substantiate their posit
that Christians are spiritual Jews. However, Abraham wasn't a Jew, he was a
Gentile; in point fact, in our day he would've been an Iraqi rather than an
Israeli.
_

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Read the book of Galatians chapters 4, 5 and 6, and Romans chapter 14, and Colosians chapter 2.
I think you should read these scriptures again, but as you read know that God inspires ALL scripture, and Paul does not disagree with Christ. People say that, based on these scriptures, Paul tells us that law is cancelled, we are dead to law, do not need to listen to it any more and that old testament Psalm (119th) is all wet, not of God. That is not so, God guides us with the law. God does not guide us with the rites like diet and cutting flesh that God used to guide the Hebrews, and Paul calls these the law of Moses. God gave us the Holy Spirit to guide us, now.

If you read "the law of Moses" as all of the law that God gave in the old testament, then you believe God contradicts Himself, for Jesus told us that He did not cancel any thing His Father said, yet many believe that Paul tells us He did. You are not reading Paul correctly. If Paul disagrees with Christ, then we must listen to Christ. Christ is God, Paul is not. Rom. 3:31, Rom. 6:2, Rom 6:15, Rom 7:7, Rom. 7:13, Gal. 2:17, Gal 3:21. Paul agrees with Christ, you are misreading Paul.