Lost salvation or name not in the book

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Does the "invitation" extend to all people, or only chosen people?
All people.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

oyster67

May 24, 2014
2 Peter 3:9
“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”

oyster67

May 24, 2014
He creates some clay pots for destruction
No, that's Calvinism, not Christianity. The only reason that the pot should not question the maker is because the pot should just trust the Maker.

Just trust and wait with no validation?
This is what we call "living by faith." We just trust in Him and His love. Father knows best and leave it at that.

Hebrews 11:1
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

Just how I fit into all this.
Very humbling, actually...

Luke 17:10
“So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.”

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Hi Everybody,

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I am new here. The thing that brought me to a Christian forum is to explore some ideas regarding Christian faith and salvation. In particular, how do you know you are saved? Can you believe in God, believe that Jesus is the Messiah and be respectful towards God and yet not have your name in the book of life?

The thing that has me asking is, in the past I felt like my connection to God was validated through prayer. I would pray, then events would occur, usually never in the way I expected, that would bring me to what I believe was a God driven outcome.

Additionally, I felt like I saw the world in a way that only a Christian could and I thought that was through the eyes of the Holy Spirit.

Now, it seems like I pray and the answer is dead silence. I am not even sure the Spirit is there. Maybe my name is not in the book of life. I have been the grateful recipient of some wonderful gifts but God can bless the saved and unsaved as He chooses. Plus, I have shamefully shared some frustrated, angry words with God. I'm sure He wasn't too happy about that.

I have never been end times focused, beyond basic curiosity, but assumed the time of Christs return would be well past my lifetime. Given the state of current events, and I'm not just referring to war in Israel, I'm not so sure any more. Things seem different today, in a very bad way, and I have never felt so disconnected from God. Perhaps I have fallen from His favor or perhaps I was never really saved to begin with. I believe there will be lots of people who will be surprised to find out their name isn't on the list.

Interested in your thoughts on this topic. Thanks!
I was struck by that phrase "my connection to God validated through prayer"

I was reared in a devout Catholic home, I always believed in Jesus, always believed God was my Father in heaven, my closing thoughts were always directed to God.

I can remember distinct times when God answered prayers, distinct times when God intervened in my life, I was miraculously saved from death or severe harm twice, Yet in growing up in the crazy 60s I fell away from church, yet still believed.

One day I was reading Romans 1. in the Living Bible where Paul lists that catalogue of sins people commit I turned the page and read "Well you may be saying what terrible people you are talking about but wait a minute you are just as bad ... when you are saying they are wicked and must be punished you are talking about yourselves!"

That fell on me like a ton of bricks, the Living bible has that ability. Wow it was the first time I considered myself a sinner.

I didn't get saved just then but it was like a first step in the right direction. Recognition of my status as a sinner worthy of punishment led eventually to a better understanding of the cross and the pardon Jesus purchased for me personally. Now I was ready for the new birth, new life, new spiritual life with a heart made clean.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
yea who hasnt done terrible things
Only the Pharisees thought they were above God. I think some people get above themselves when they are 'chosen' , as humans, we are earthbound and weak and fleshy. Even if we fly to the moon, we still have to go toilet.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
yea who hasnt done terrible things
Only the Pharisees thought they were above God. I think some people get above themselves when they are 'chosen' , as humans, we are earthbound and weak and fleshy. Even if we fly to the moon, we still have to go toilet.
“as humans, we are earthbound and weak and fleshy.”

“Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die:

but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:12-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

paul teaching more about this

“This I say then, Walk ( act speak and move in ) in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:16-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬
We don’t have to keep serving satans Will in the flesh we can accept the spirit and overcome the flesh and walk following the lord and his word instead

“if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.”

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

….Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭6:63, 67-69‬ ‭

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
‭‭John‬ ‭4:24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.”
‭‭John‬ ‭18:37‬ ‭

The apostle Paul

if so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

that ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4:21-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

We need to begin to think and speak and act like Jesus taught us on the gospel as of we believe what he was saying about things like God , ourselves , other people , the world , life , death ect like the new born again man but we can’t until we let the old sinful man die with his thinking prior to herring and believing the lord word of truth in the gospel that promises believers life everlasting and freedom from condemnation and death

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The apostle paul

“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath

made me free from the law of sin and death.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, ( doctrine ) then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free…. Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. ….If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8:31-32, 34, 36‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The apostle Paul

“What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey;

whether of sin unto death,

or of obedience unto righteousness?

But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin,( past tense ) but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.”( present tense )
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:15-18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Of his own will begat he us ( gave us birth ) with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:18, 21-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

We should speak of our sinful lives as if they are behind us , that’s part of coming out of it all we have to hear and believe first and put away that old mind that accepts sin as the law of man and accepts the gospel of man’s reeemption that has the power to change those who accept it

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Revelation 3:5 - "He who overcomes I will never blot out his name from the book of life." The "overcomer" mentioned in this letter to Sardis is the Believer/Christian. Compare this with 1 John 5:4: "Everyone who is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith. Certain people read Revelation 3:5 as if God’s pen is poised and ready to strike out the name of any Christian who does not overcome every possible struggle in life that there is to overcome. They read into it like this: "If you don't overcome every struggle in life and win the victory through sinless perfection, then you’re going to lose your salvation! But that is NOT what the verse says. Jesus is giving a promise here, not a warning.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
There are three ways the book of life is referred to in the Bible. The book of the living (Psalm 69:28), the book of life (Philippians 4:3; Revelation 3:5; 20:12, 15), and the lamb’s book of Life (Revelation 13:8; 21:27). There are those who hold the view that the first two phrases refer to a book which contains the names of every person who has physical life upon the earth and the third phrase, the Lamb’s Book of Life, refers to a book which contains the names of every person who has eternal life in Jesus Christ.

The alternative view is that there is only one book of life and when unbelievers die, their names are removed from the book of life. Revelation 13:8 indicates that names have been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world. In Psalm 69:28, we read - May they be blotted out of the book of life and not be listed with the righteous. In Revelation 20:12-15, we read that books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life, and anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

Outlander

Oct 16, 2023
There are three ways the book of life is referred to in the Bible. The book of the living (Psalm 69:28), the book of life (Philippians 4:3; Revelation 3:5; 20:12, 15), and the lamb’s book of Life (Revelation 13:8; 21:27). There are those who hold the view that the first two phrases refer to a book which contains the names of every person who has physical life upon the earth and the third phrase, the Lamb’s Book of Life, refers to a book which contains the names of every person who has eternal life in Jesus Christ.

The alternative view is that there is only one book of life and when unbelievers die, their names are removed from the book of life. Revelation 13:8 indicates that names have been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world. In Psalm 69:28, we read - May they be blotted out of the book of life and not be listed with the righteous. In Revelation 20:12-15, we read that books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life, and anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.
Thank you Dan, and everybody.

I am concerned about this question for myself but I also assume there are others who have the same questions and doubts even if they don't say it out loud.

I have no doubt that the great author knows how all the chapters of his great narrative end.

I believe it is true to say that not all will be redeemed from death.
I believe its true to say that "a great many" will not be redeemed from death.
I believe that a great many who believe they will be redeemed from death, won't be.

I believe there will be a lot of people not being redeemed.

I do not have a problem with believing. I believe. I do not have a problem with praying. I pray. I do not have a problem reading the bible. I read the bible.

I believe He is aware of everything I do, type, pray...

I believe I feel His presence, out there, just beyond sight, but I do not hear Him. Maybe I'm just pompous in believing I deserve to get a tangible response. It's not like 1-555-God-Phone: "Hello, what do you want from Me today?"

If you are saved, and you pray, and assuming your prayer isn't something dumb like praying for concert tickets or to win the lottery, should you anticipate a definitive response? Where you can say, "that was in response to my prayer." And what does it mean if you don't?

I admit some of my prayers are selfish. I believe prayer, rightfully, should primarily be directed towards helping others. Buuut..it is hard to focus on the problems of others when you have this beam in your eye! "Please remove this beam so I can start praying for the needs of others!" It's like Maslow's Hierarchy of needs. Its easier to be altruistic in your thinking/Prayer when your foundational needs are met.

However, prayer without effect, that says something too, doesn't it?

That's where I'm at. I am not testing God. "If you are real, make that chair float through the air!" I just feel like my prayers are going out with no return. The circle isn't complete.

Perhaps I've just been fooling myself all along. Not that God exists. You have to be painfully blind or painfully obstinate to believe that. But that I ever really had that kind of a relationship with God to begin with. One that includes some form of 2 way interactive communication? Without it, how can you be assured that you are saved? Because you read it in a book?

Faith doesn't mean, belief in something you have no rational justification for believing. Faith is trust. Isn't trust based on knowing?

I appreciate all your thoughts on the matter!

Thank you!

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
In particular, how do you know you are saved?
You go by this: And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. (Acts 16:30,31)

And you go by this (John 3):
14And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God...
36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

So what does it mean to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ?
1. It means to believe that God the Son (the Son of God) became a sinless Man to die for your sins. To pay the full penalty for your sins.
2. It also means to believe that He was buried (entombed) and rose again after three days and three nights so that you might have eternal life, and be justified by grace through faith.
3. It also means that now that you know this you must acknowledge to God and Christ that you are in fact a sinner who needs to be saved, and therefore you a sincerely repenting (turning away from all your sins and idols and putting your past life behind you). You are also asking God's forgiveness.
4. It also means that you speak to the Lord Jesus Christ and tell Him that you are now receiving Him as your Lord and Savior, and will live in obedience to Him.

There is no uncertainty in any of this. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (John 1:12,13)

Oct 14, 2023
Hi Everybody,

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I am new here. The thing that brought me to a Christian forum is to explore some ideas regarding Christian faith and salvation. In particular, how do you know you are saved? Can you believe in God, believe that Jesus is the Messiah and be respectful towards God and yet not have your name in the book of life?

The thing that has me asking is, in the past I felt like my connection to God was validated through prayer. I would pray, then events would occur, usually never in the way I expected, that would bring me to what I believe was a God driven outcome.

Additionally, I felt like I saw the world in a way that only a Christian could and I thought that was through the eyes of the Holy Spirit.

Now, it seems like I pray and the answer is dead silence. I am not even sure the Spirit is there. Maybe my name is not in the book of life. I have been the grateful recipient of some wonderful gifts but God can bless the saved and unsaved as He chooses. Plus, I have shamefully shared some frustrated, angry words with God. I'm sure He wasn't too happy about that.

I have never been end times focused, beyond basic curiosity, but assumed the time of Christs return would be well past my lifetime. Given the state of current events, and I'm not just referring to war in Israel, I'm not so sure any more. Things seem different today, in a very bad way, and I have never felt so disconnected from God. Perhaps I have fallen from His favor or perhaps I was never really saved to begin with. I believe there will be lots of people who will be surprised to find out their name isn't on the list.

Interested in your thoughts on this topic. Thanks!
Hi Outlander. Very good question.

Most of the responses to this question, here and elsewhere, don't take into account what the Bible actually teaches as a whole on this subject.

People wear out, and largely misuse, John 3:16. There are specific verses in the Bible that state plainly that belief/faith is not enough. Most new Christians desperately want to believe that they can profess to be a Christian and be immediately enrolled in "Heaven" without changing a single thing in their life and can go on living any old way they like. That's just not what the Scriptures teach us at all.

Some are teaching the tired rumor that once you claim to be a Christian, all the sins you've ever committed, AND all those you will ever commit, are forgiven. That's not what the Bible teaches. Many are teaching, or implying, that once we profess faith, we don't have to do a single other thing and we're automatically righteous saints.

No.

Those who passionately seek the Lord, and seek Truth in His Word, will come to find that Salvation is a process and it most certainly involves obedience and continued effort. Contrary to some of the most ridiculous, and very common, claims, obedience to God is not a sin that God will punish with damnation. On the contrary, it is exactly what He intends and expects from those who claim to love Him.

Jesus taught the 10 Commandments.

He obeyed all of them, taught all of them and His close followers that walked along side Him obeyed them even after His Crucifixion. It is only corrupt modern Christendom who has created a stigma upon the "action" of obedience to God's Law.

Jesus defines what it means to be a saint and what it takes to get to Heaven in Rev. 14:12.

"Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the Commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus Christ."

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Hi Outlander. Very good question.

Most of the responses to this question, here and elsewhere, don't take into account what the Bible actually teaches as a whole on this subject.

People wear out, and largely misuse, John 3:16. There are specific verses in the Bible that state plainly that belief/faith is not enough. Most new Christians desperately want to believe that they can profess to be a Christian and be immediately enrolled in "Heaven" without changing a single thing in their life and can go on living any old way they like. That's just not what the Scriptures teach us at all.

Some are teaching the tired rumor that once you claim to be a Christian, all the sins you've ever committed, AND all those you will ever commit, are forgiven. That's not what the Bible teaches. Many are teaching, or implying, that once we profess faith, we don't have to do a single other thing and we're automatically righteous saints.

No.

Those who passionately seek the Lord, and seek Truth in His Word, will come to find that Salvation is a process and it most certainly involves obedience and continued effort. Contrary to some of the most ridiculous, and very common, claims, obedience to God is not a sin that God will punish with damnation. On the contrary, it is exactly what He intends and expects from those who claim to love Him.

He obeyed all of them, taught all of them and His close followers that walked along side Him obeyed them even after His Crucifixion. It is only corrupt modern Christendom who has created a stigma upon the "action" of obedience to God's Law.

Jesus defines what it means to be a saint and what it takes to get to Heaven in Rev. 14:12.

"Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the Commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus Christ."
You are conflating salvation with sanctification. And the question isn't whether Christians will obey. That's a given. The question is the source of the power that leads to obedience. That source is Christ living in us. Eternal life is given in an instant. Figuring out how to live that life to its fullest takes a lifetime.

Oct 14, 2023
You are conflating salvation with sanctification. And the question isn't whether Christians will obey. That's a given. The question is the source of the power that leads to obedience. That source is Christ living in us. Eternal life is given in an instant. Figuring out how to live that life to its fullest takes a lifetime.
You believe all professed Christians obey the 10 Commandments?

That's a very unusual delusion.

Eternal life might be given early on, but that means that John 5:28-29 reveals believing Christians being resurrected to damnation - just as Matt. 7:21-23 shows true believing Christians being rejected for living in iniquity.

In that case, I agree.

If you believe that Christians can profess their faith in Christ and live in daily habitual sin and still go to heaven, you are woefully mistaken.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

He obeyed all of them, taught all of them and His close followers that walked along side Him obeyed them even after His Crucifixion.
The Sabbath command is nowhere iterated in the gospels, and according to
the religious leaders of Jesus' day, Jesus (and His disciples) broke the Sabbath.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
You believe all professed Christians obey the 10 Commandments?

That's a very unusual delusion.

Eternal life might be given early on, but that means that John 5:28-29 reveals believing Christians being resurrected to damnation - just as Matt. 7:21-23 shows true believing Christians being rejected for living in iniquity.

In that case, I agree.

If you believe that Christians can profess their faith in Christ and live in daily habitual sin and still go to heaven, you are woefully mistaken.
If I believed that, you would be correct. So those living in habitual sin void of repentance and recognition of their sin aren't actually Christians.
And one so concerned with the law, I would think, would be more careful than to make a practice of demeaning others in their responses. It's also a poor practice to ascribe positions to others to try to bolster your own position.
Since eternal life is defined for us in John 17:3, you either possess it or not. Once you do, God will lead you into all truth. But just as no parent expects a newborn baby to understand how and be able to fend for itself, neither does our heavenly Father expect a newborn believer to do so either. And distinguishing between wheat and tares is impossible for sinless angels, let alone sinful men.
Remembering the graces and mercies of God that we encountered along the way helps us enormously with such understanding.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
And one so concerned with the law, I would think, would be more careful than to make a practice of demeaning
others in their responses. It's also a poor practice to ascribe positions to others to try to bolster your own position.
Isn't that the general modus operandi of legalists?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Isn't that the general modus operandi of legalists?
It often is. A penchant for the word of God is admirable when it is attended with grace. Otherwise, it tends to yield condemnation.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Who believes this nonsense? You seem to be another one focused on sin instead of righteousness. Plus you do not really understand the Gospel.
Here's a good example of someone who is thoroughly clueless about the Gospel.

Since apparently you have just come on board recently, you would be wise to firstly learn what the Gospel is and then post things which are true.