Loud Preachers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 17, 2013
Before I make my comment. Please don't take this the wrong way. When Jesus taught, and shared, and preached, Did he necessary feel the need to shout? I know he shouted in anger when he went into the temples and saw the temple being used as a den of thieves. But Did he shout when he was preaching to the people? reason why I'm asking this, God bless the preachers today in churches, they preaching the gospel. But they are speaking through a microphone which then is amped through loud speakers, yet they still feel the need to shout. is that necessary? I mean no wonder why people are coming forward with prayer because they have gone deaf, is it to much? why do they need to shout? they can share the gospel without shouting surely? Not disrespecting them. Just find it unnecessary to do. I may be wrong?
No Jesus didn't shout or jump or run. But, everyone He touched did.

H

HSfilledlady

Jesus yelled when he was rebuking others (not his followers). God is a God of order, but He does also say He would rather we be hot or cold not lukewarm...so, there is that. Yelling is not a fruit of the Spirit but occasionally yelling out of passion is ok; it should be directed toward sin. We should hate sin as God hates sin, with a passion. Some preachers preach the whole sermon yelling, I think this approach is much like vain repetition of words--simply for affect--it quenches the Holy Spirit and is ungodly.

C

CDavid

Some preachers get loud when they see folks nodding off.
I always prefer a to here an enthusiastic, zealous, praise the Lord preacher, than a dry, dull, boring sermon from some mamby pamby minister.
I believe it's time to make some noise, and wake people up.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I always prefer a to here an enthusiastic, zealous, praise the Lord preacher, than a dry, dull, boring sermon from some mamby pamby minister.
I guess the question would be, should it be the volume that wakes 'em up OR the Truth?
If the former, they will eventually fall back into their slumber.

I referred to Johnathan Edwards earlier, who allegedly monotonously read his sermon 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God' and as a result a great revival (1st Great Awakening) ensued.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ( Puppy dream)

C

CDavid

A Spirit filled charismatic preacher sometimes will be loud, enthusiastic, zealous, and bold in season and out.
Loudness is part of the job.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
A Spirit filled charismatic preacher sometimes will be loud, enthusiastic, zealous, and bold in season and out.
Loudness is part of the job.
But- My puppy dream:[

B

BishopSEH

I think you have to remember that most preachers did not go from seminary to the pulpit and that only a tiny fraction of our time is actually spent in front of a microphone. During our schooling and after most of the time we are giving sermons ans lessons only by the power of our voices. Those with small voices tend to stand in the middle and turn as they speak. Those with much more powerful instruments tend to stand in front of a group.

When you listen to a loud preacher take note of the words he used and how he speaks them. Certain words to to fall flat even when yelled but change the way in which they are said and suddenly they carry a long distance. Most of what you in the congregation are experiencing is an ingrained habit that has been trained in. Most of the time, a preacher can tone it down but when the Holy Spirit is speaking we often lose control of our equipment so caught up are we.

That said, before you sit in church and let the power of your pastor's voice overtake you, stop my a hardware store and get some earplugs. I prefer the yellow squishy ones. I simply set them in across the opening of the ear rather than inserting them and it lowers the volume a bit but not so much that I can't hear the person singing next to me. (judge for yourself if that is good or bad)

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I think you have to remember that most preachers did not go from seminary to the pulpit and that only a tiny fraction of our time is actually spent in front of a microphone. During our schooling and after most of the time we are giving sermons ans lessons only by the power of our voices. Those with small voices tend to stand in the middle and turn as they speak. Those with much more powerful instruments tend to stand in front of a group.

When you listen to a loud preacher take note of the words he used and how he speaks them. Certain words to to fall flat even when yelled but change the way in which they are said and suddenly they carry a long distance. Most of what you in the congregation are experiencing is an ingrained habit that has been trained in. Most of the time, a preacher can tone it down but when the Holy Spirit is speaking we often lose control of our equipment so caught up are we.

That said, before you sit in church and let the power of your pastor's voice overtake you, stop my a hardware store and get some earplugs. I prefer the yellow squishy ones. I simply set them in across the opening of the ear rather than inserting them and it lowers the volume a bit but not so much that I can't hear the person singing next to me. (judge for yourself if that is good or bad)

In Christ,

Bishop SEH
HA HA.I had a pastor friend tell me turn on your Walkman and wait for Communion...at least you'll hear the Gospel.

U

Ugly

I know Jesus is our example, but i sometimes think people take this idea too far. Jesus didn't shout when he taught, so neither should we? Come on. Some people are just loud and excitable. Jesus may not have been that way, but that doesn't make it wrong or bad if someone else is.
And i'm sure some people do it on purpose, just to copy others. But we don't know why someone does it. If you don't like it, fine, i'm not a fan of it myself, but if that's how someone naturally is, or chooses to be, what do i care? I'll just go somewhere else and not worry about it.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Nicely explained Ugly- it doesn't feel right calling you ugly. I would like to know why you chose the name ugly? then i am going to rant on and on about how someone woke me from my puppy dream because someone has to pay

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
When they start doing all that yelling, my mind just goes ''click'' and i dont recieve anything they say. A man preached a revival at my church. He did all that yelling. I didnt go back the next night

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
I mean no wonder why people are coming forward with prayer because they have gone deaf, is it to much?
Meh. Some of those folks attend clubs and gigs with music blaring at uncomfortable decibels and they don’t complain about it, but if a preacher raises his voice a tad bit to emphasize his point and keep the congregation attentive they do...hypocrisy much? Just sayin'.:rolleyes:

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
How about in their normal everyday life they speak normal but behind the pulpit they speak in KJ-eese.

J

jinx

ahhh..... I think when the SPIRIT gets a-hold of the preacher he will sometimes yell. THAT doesn't bother me. the occasional yell, grab your attention, getting excited with what GOD has shared with the preacher to give to GOD's people. BUT WHEN ALL THEY DO IS YELL CONTINUOUSLY IT GETS A LITTLE ANNOYING. ALMOST WANT TO STOP YOUR EARS UP WITH A COTTON BALL, OR A TENNIS BALL. DOES MY CAPS BOTHER ANY BODY????? lol.

S

SeekingJC

There's a guy on TV that I like not big into tv stuff but he always seems to get me engaged forgot his name Bishop something... Oh well need sleepy....

God Bless

Ps He's a yeller sometimes I'm worried he'll have a stroke I tell my tv to calm it down a bit but it doesn't get through need to work on more interactive tv....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Feb 17, 2013
ahhh..... I think when the SPIRIT gets a-hold of the preacher he will sometimes yell. THAT doesn't bother me. the occasional yell, grab your attention, getting excited with what GOD has shared with the preacher to give to GOD's people. BUT WHEN ALL THEY DO IS YELL CONTINUOUSLY IT GETS A LITTLE ANNOYING. ALMOST WANT TO STOP YOUR EARS UP WITH A COTTON BALL, OR A TENNIS BALL. DOES MY CAPS BOTHER ANY BODY????? lol.
The difference is the anointing, Somebody yelling that's not anointed is an awful thing to sit through. However, if it's an anointed message, then yell on!!!

M

moretalman

richie_2uk : Preaching loudly can be a legitimate way to preach the gospel. Your speaking with authority, with, passion, vehemence & conviction. It is a form of expression, not just what you say, but how you say it. The question we need to ask is: Is it genuine? Or just theatrics? A person certainly is at liberty to preach loudly. Are they being inspired by God to do so? I think they can be. Sometimes it's a genuine part of the preachers personality. Just like some preachers or teachers are more mild mannered, or soft spoken.

Teachers are a little different then preachers or perhaps I should say teaching is different than preaching. I once heard a minister say to teach is to explain, to preach is to proclaim. When explaining something it would seem more likely that one would be more unemotional, calm, & clear generating an atmosphere that would more enable the hearers to engage their minds. But preaching or proclaiming can be something meant to stir the heart. Preaching is more of a prophetic office. The speakers are speaking under inspiration from God many times. God sometimes wants to set a fire under people. They need it. Things need to be expressed with passion & extraordinary conviction.

Here's what I do. Anytime I'm listening to a minister I adopt a posture of receiving. I hold my hands palms up maybe just very discretely in my lap, other times I'll be more open & raise my hands to one degree or another. As I do this I pray to my self Father enable me to receive what ever it is you would bring to me thru this man & in like manner enable me to discern error or deception, knowing or unknowing.

Usually When I do this it enables me to receive something I wouldn't have other wise received. I'm saying "God I'm going to trust in you with all of my heart & lean not to my own understanding" Don't let personal preferences stop you from hearing a speaker. You've heard of those with itching ears?
Many Blessings <> Johnny

Last edited: