Love> Law shouldnt it always be this way?

• Thread starter wanting2believe
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

wanting2believe

Why do I feel most of us followers of Christ are more subject to the law? instead of the Love givers? I do not know? I hope this takes no offense but just wanted to hear peoples opinion?

M

mori

Because relinquishing the law is also relinquishing control. People pretend they don't like lists of rules and aren't using them to get to heaven, but, well...

W

wanting2believe

hmm I get that? but when Jesus said the greatest of all commandments (law) is to Love God, and to love thy neighbor? but sometimes I see people like focus on the law, wouldnt God also judge them how they judge others? Wouldnt that make it hard on them? lol

Feb 10, 2008
Wanting2Believe, in a perfect world, love is all that is required. But in a world of evil, laws must exist, and be followed to allow love to exist for as many as possible.

Certainly, holding to legality can destroy love, but the laws were first put in place to both define and support love.

S

SpaceCowboy

The truth is that Christians have forgotten their identity. It IS all about Love. When Moses asked God what his name is he said I AM. And we know from 1John that God is love. So love IS. Just like God IS. Love just IS. And to walk in love is to walk with the father and to do his will, through the Holy Spirit, in Jesus name.

Christians have forgotten that WE are the light of the world.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
According to Christ, the Law and the Prophets is all summed up in love. (Matt 22:37-40)

J

Jullianna

Why do I feel most of us followers of Christ are more subject to the law? instead of the Love givers? I do not know? I hope this takes no offense but just wanted to hear peoples opinion?
Because a lot of people who call themselves christians...aren't. They haven't read the scriptures enough to understand what it means to be a follower of Christ and they do not know Him, they just know the Ten Commandments and view christianity as a bunch of does and don'ts. They aren't following Christ at all.

Feb 11, 2012
Many feel if we are under ANY law, such as the righteous requirements of the law then its works salvation, many also believe in faith alone, and any works will cancel out grace, I know not all believe this but there is alot of confusion in Christianity today about the law, love, and righteousness.

Hope this helps:

What is righteousness?

Psa 11:6 On the wicked He shall rain snares, fire and brimstone; and a horrible tempest shall be the portion of their cup.
Psa 11:7 For the righteous Jehovah loves righteousness; His face looks on the upright.
What does it mean to be righteous before an all Holy God? And who are considered the wicked? In the modern Christian teachings today, the righteous are the ones who said a simple prayer, admitted they are sinners, then accepted Jesus into their heart, now they are declared righteous while they are actually still defiled and a sinner at heart, because Jesus took their place, and now any obedience of the heart is optional and those who say otherwise are labeled prideful and self-righteous.
No clearing and purifying the heart through repentance first as commanded by Jesus and the disciples.
Jas 4:8 Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, sinners; and purify your hearts, double-minded ones.
God is not looking for perfection, but a heart made pure through an obedient faith, by doing what is right, because Jesus never came to impute His righteousness on mankind, but to set mankind free from the bondage's of sin once and for all.
This is accomplished through repentance, and Jesus and His follower made it clear:
Mat 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, Repent! For the kingdom of Heaven is at hand.
Mat 9:13 But go and learn what this is, I will have mercy and not sacrifice. For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
So as you can see doing what is right by repenting, and seeking the mercy of God, doesn't make one self-righteous, but it makes you righteous in the eyes of God, as you forsake all known sin and disobedience, and follow His son on the narrow path.
God hates sin, and is angry with the wicked and disobedient every day.
Psa 7:10 My defense is from God, who saves the upright in heart.
Psa 7:11 God judges the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.
So we are declared righteous by God, when His spirit comes upon us and convicts us of sin, righteousness, and judgment, we take heed to it, come to a real repentance and faith, putting the old man to death once and for all.
Gal 5:24 But those belonging to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Jesus didn't come to cloak you in His righteousness, He came to set you free from sin, thus becoming your example of righteousness to follow and obey.
Joh 8:51 Truly, truly, I say to you, If a man keeps My Word, (obeys me)he shall never see death.
To keep His word means we must walk a holy and a separated life unto Him, not mixing with the world and its false ways, standing for the truth no matter what, and doing what is right by following His example, through a heart made pure by faith!
Luk 9:23 And He said to all, If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me.
A real righteousness before God isn't prideful or arrogant, as the Pharisees were, who boasted in the law and ordinances, but it’s a righteousness that come from a truly repentant heart, where the vile sins and disobedience against God have ceased, and are now crucified with Christ once and for all.
Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ, and I live; yet no longer I, but Christ lives in me. And that life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith toward the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself on my behalf.
Now when you are walking in the spirit, you are being righteous by obeying God and His commands.
Rom 8:4 so that the righteousness of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
If you are walking according to the spirit, and not the flesh, then you will meet the righteous requirements of the law. They will be established in our hearts.
Now obeying the righteous requirements of God, in all humility, love and respect for a God who declares us righteous because we obey Him, and just do what is right!
1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who does righteousness is righteous, even as that One is righteous.
But your heart must be cleansed and purified in repentance first, where the sin stops, and the blood of Christ is touched which sets us free from the bondages of sin, Jesus then becomes our great strength and power over the corrupting influences of sin, darkness and the devil.
Act 26:18 in order to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light, and from the authority of Satan to God, so that they may receive remission of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.
Tommy 5-6-12

W

wanting2believe

Awesome this is what I wanted, people expressing opinion to a noob like me lol. Tommy4Christ that was super helpful. In simple to me in my opinion it would be Jesus Christ was the perfect example of love and perfect example of obeying the law, law that supports how to love eachother. One question to all. Would be bad to try to love sinners? Like we know they are wrong but the only thing we can do is love and tell them about God but if they reject God? Shouldn't we love them still and pray for them?

J

Jullianna

We absolutely MUST love them and pray for them. Since it is the heart of Christ to do so, it should be our hearts as well. You can love someone and still not like the things they do. Any parent or spouse can bear witness to this. :)

We have been shown mercy by God. We should SHOW mercy to others as God and those who shared Christ with US have done.

Once we receive Christ it becomes the desire of our hearts to live a life that is pleasing to Him. Jesus said that if we loved Him, we would obey Him. It's not about the law. It's about fulfilling the law by loving the Lord and wanting to please Him. Besides, if we actually care to examine the law closely, we find that the law is all about protecting ourselves and others from harm anyway. WE are the ones who benefit from obeying. :) So, we are foolish not to lovingly obey the Lord.

W

wanting2believe

thanks jullianna :) yep :)

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I totally agree with you. I did not know how judgmental christians could be until I started joining sites like this a few years ago.

Mahatma Ghandi once said, "I like your christ, but I do not like your christians."

W

wanting2believe

zeroturbulence lol Ive heard that before too lol Yea... sometimes we as christians do things that instead of bringing people to God (God to the people) We are like stepping stones..

hhhlga89

Apr 23, 2012
without the law we won't know how to love properly. We will be doing what is 'right in our own eyes' without it.

W

wanting2believe

good point good point but sometimes we focus to much on the law and not on the loving

Aug 27, 2011
We must know that law in order to know what love is about. The law guide us to do what is right, for example; the law says" Do not kill' . If you love some want you will not plan evil against him/her and kill him/her. Again, the law says Do not steal. If you love someone, you will not steal from him/her. Again, it says Love your neigbor as you love yourself. If you love your neighbor as you love yourself, you will never plan anything evil against him/her. etc. We can see that the law is there to guide us on what love is all about.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
What I see is a lot of pride and self-righteousness when christians blatantly criticize and judge other christians. They often will point to how Jesus got angry in the temple (Matthew 21:12-13), but that is not an excuse or a license to treat others with rudeness or insensitivity. Jesus is God and can judge all he wants.

We are not God. We are supposed to follow Paul's description of love towards each other (love is patient, love is KIND..it is not proud, etc...)

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
(1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NIV)

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
(John 13:34-35 NIV)

Last edited:
W

wanting2believe

Ok.. I totally agree with you zeroturbulence. Im not judging but I think if you love, love God with all our hearts ( I know I would be a hypocrite if I were to say that I do) and love (really love eachother) We would be following the law itself to the point because loving implements those fundamental commandments. I hope if I make sense.

T

Timofree

Ok.. I totally agree with you zeroturbulence. Im not judging but I think if you love, love God with all our hearts ( I know I would be a hypocrite if I were to say that I do) and love (really love eachother) We would be following the law itself to the point because loving implements those fundamental commandments. I hope if I make sense.
Praise God, it's not a case of us working up love for God or others, it's just believing and receiving from Him. We love because He first loved us (1 John 4:19), and His love has already been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5).....so we don't have to work up love, just honour, receive and thank Him for His love which works in us and through us!

We could never love Him with all our hearts, that's why He does it for us :)

It says the law is to bring us to Christ, after that point we are dead to the law in regards using it to gain righteousness, or improve our relationship with God! And as you rightly said, in love we will just naturally fulfill the law anyway! Not because we have to!

Everyone living under the law is under a curse (Galatians 3:10), and I know from personal experience, the last thing I felt was love for people when I still thought I had to keep the law to approach God!