Love Me?—Love Me Not!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

NetChaplain

Nov 21, 2018
One may have an appearance to obey the Lord Jesus (Jhn 14:23, 24), but it is the test of time that will determine its genuineness, for it will never cease. The Lord Jesus said, “He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved” (Mat 24:13). In other words, only whosoever is saved will endure unto the end, as those who are not reborn (saved) will eventually affirm “they were not of us” (1Jo 2:19; 2Ti 3:9, 13; Heb 10:39; also Num 32:23).

The primary manifestation of hypocritical love to God is the absence of love to others (Jhn 13:35)—especially when this concerns our “brother,” which are those within “the household of faith” (Gal 6:10; Eph 2:19; 1Jhn 4:20, 21; also Mat 12:50). Walking in practical love develops from first having the desire to love, which is an inherent ability solely from the Spirit at rebirth (Gal 5:22), using the implanted “life” and “nature” of Christ (Col 3:4, 10; 2Pe 1:4).

It is the ongoing desire to love others that manifests the presence of the indwelling Spirit the most, and as this desire grows within we eventually begin practicing more all the time God’s love to others (again and very important, esp. when it concerns the saved). I believe the well-known acronym JOY describes Scripture’s definition for God’s love best: Jesus, others, then you, i.e. we put Jesus first when we put others before us. This is clearly demonstrated by passages such as Phl 2:3, 4; Ro 12:10; Eph 4:2; 5:21. I’ve found that being concerned how we should respond to others more than being concerned how others respond to us aids well in supporting a more consistent adherence to these truths.

Since the works deriving from walking in the Spirit cannot be practiced one-hundred percent of the time (due to the ongoing indwelling of the “old man”), I believe God’s greatest work in us rests in the retaining of this desire to love (which produces continued growth in it), which then is in us—the crux of His “work” (Phl 2:13). May God give us to remember to keep a constant check on the intentions of our actions, that we may, more all the time, be love-centered; without which our testimony cannot be God-glorifying (Jhn 15:8). God be blessed above all!

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
One may have an appearance to obey the Lord Jesus (Jhn 14:23, 24), but it is the test of time that will determine its genuineness, for it will never cease. The Lord Jesus said, “He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved” (Mat 24:13). In other words, only whosoever is saved will endure unto the end, as those who are not reborn (saved) will eventually affirm “they were not of us” (1Jo 2:19; 2Ti 3:9, 13; Heb 10:39; also Num 32:23).

The primary manifestation of hypocritical love to God is the absence of love to others (Jhn 13:35)—especially when this concerns our “brother,” which are those within “the household of faith” (Gal 6:10; Eph 2:19; 1Jhn 4:20, 21; also Mat 12:50). Walking in practical love develops from first having the desire to love, which is an inherent ability solely from the Spirit at rebirth (Gal 5:22), using the implanted “life” and “nature” of Christ (Col 3:4, 10; 2Pe 1:4).

It is the ongoing desire to love others that manifests the presence of the indwelling Spirit the most, and as this desire grows within we eventually begin practicing more all the time God’s love to others (again and very important, esp. when it concerns the saved). I believe the well-known acronym JOY describes Scripture’s definition for God’s love best: Jesus, others, then you, i.e. we put Jesus first when we put others before us. This is clearly demonstrated by passages such as Phl 2:3, 4; Ro 12:10; Eph 4:2; 5:21. I’ve found that being concerned how we should respond to others more than being concerned how others respond to us aids well in supporting a more consistent adherence to these truths.

Since the works deriving from walking in the Spirit cannot be practiced one-hundred percent of the time (due to the ongoing indwelling of the “old man”), I believe God’s greatest work in us rests in the retaining of this desire to love (which produces continued growth in it), which then is in us—the crux of His “work” (Phl 2:13). May God give us to remember to keep a constant check on the intentions of our actions, that we may, more all the time, be love-centered; without which our testimony cannot be God-glorifying (Jhn 15:8). God be blessed above all!
"Amen"

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
For some reason while I was reading the OP my music-nerd brain kept playing:

Love me love me
Say that you love me
Fool me fool me
Go on and fool me
Love me love me
Pretend that you love me
Leave me leave me
Just say that you need me

Off topic? Not quite. A lot of christians live this way.

NetChaplain

Nov 21, 2018
For some reason while I was reading the OP my music-nerd brain kept playing:

Love me love me
Say that you love me
Fool me fool me
Go on and fool me
Love me love me
Pretend that you love me
Leave me leave me
Just say that you need me

Off topic? Not quite. A lot of christians live this way.
Thanks for the reply, on which I agree, that there are many in Contemporary Christianity that are confused concerning the love of God. But thankfully we know that those who are genuine Christians will eventually be led into the truth of all things (Jhn 16:13).

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
"Love me tender,
Love me sweet,
Never let me go.
You have made my life complete

And I love you so".