Loving and Graceful or Austere and Reproving, What should our attitude be?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Andrew1

Senior Member
May 11, 2013
160
10
18
Curious as to opinions in regards to how Christians ought to address false teachings in the Church and open opponents of Christianity. Should we address them in a loving and graceful manner or should we be more austere and reproving in our approach? Perhaps our approach depend on the circumstances, If so what are those circumstances? Please provide scriptures in support of your view.
 
I will throw a few comments out.

The Apostle Paul referred to Judaizers as "dogs" so he used some pretty rough language toward them (Philippians 3:2). He wasn't confronting them directly when he said this, but I imagine he would have used the same language toward them if they were in front of him.

I Peter 3:15-15 indicates that we are supposed to treat unbelievers with gentleness and respect, though. II Tim 2:23-26 also indicates the same sort of treatment toward those who are deceived.

I personally think it requires the Holy Spirit to make the decision on how to approach a particular person, and you need to consider whether they are trying to mislead others. If they are trying to mislead others, it calls for a much sterner approach. Also, if they don't claim to be Christians, perhaps the approach should be more gentler than if they are claiming to be a brother but are teaching false things. The reason is that they may be trying to influence others, and you need to nip that in the bud.

A big issue is being spiritually prepared. It is much easier to be excessively confrontational if you have been neglecting your spiritual life. That's generally where I've made my mistake. If I am not in tune with the Holy Spirit, I can become excessively confrontational.
 
Another thought..even though reason is used to address error, it is really at heart a spiritual battle. It is not about us or the other person always...there are spiritual forces at work.

2 Cor 10:4-6 [SUP]4 [/SUP]For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. [SUP]5 [/SUP]We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, [SUP]6 [/SUP]being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.

I view these verses not only in light of my personal struggles to bring my own sinful, vain and prideful thoughts into subjection, but also to bring the errant thoughts of unbelievers and errant believers into subjection to Christ. God can use us that way.
 
I will throw a few comments out.


I personally think it requires the Holy Spirit to make the decision on how to approach a particular person, and you need to consider whether they are trying to mislead others. If they are trying to mislead others, it calls for a much sterner approach. Also, if they don't claim to be Christians, perhaps the approach should be more gentler than if they are claiming to be a brother but are teaching false things. The reason is that they may be trying to influence others, and you need to nip that in the bud.

A big issue is being spiritually prepared. It is much easier to be excessively confrontational if you have been neglecting your spiritual life. That's generally where I've made my mistake. If I am not in tune with the Holy Spirit, I can become excessively confrontational.

Such good words! Best not to say anything until you have spent time with the Lord discerning what He would say to the person. Few actually do that. And I've had to learn the hard way.

And even when you finally do speak, be aware of the 3rd presence there - Jesus Christ.
 
Curious as to opinions in regards to how Christians ought to address false teachings in the Church and open opponents of Christianity. Should we address them in a loving and graceful manner or should we be more austere and reproving in our approach? Perhaps our approach depend on the circumstances, If so what are those circumstances? Please provide scriptures in support of your view.
Tares in the grain field. Matt. 13:24-30

Loving and caring (I don't do graceful or elegant, but I can love and care) until otherwise notified. But always weary they might just be tare. If tare, than remove. Just remember, they look the same, until the end product is ready for harvest.
 
Paul wanted to live Christ, and be found in Him.
Philip 1:21; 3:9.