Luke 5 -- The word of God will blow your mind

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ZNP

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2020
51,512
10,732
113
During the last two chapters I was reminded of the story about the man at a wedding feast taking the best seat and then being asked to move because the Lord had someone else he wanted for that seat. The rapture is to the wedding. Right now, on Earth there are many believers who may think that they are something or someone. Perhaps they consider themselves the “super apostles” that Paul refers to. At the rapture those who are raptured will be caught up to the wedding feast. If you are left behind you will then, like these ones who thought they were in the best seats, have to take your place at the back. It seems like this matter of an inflated ego and self importance is a really big issue for those who are left behind. It also explains why those who are taken were taken. This was dealt with from the very beginning. Now my understanding is you can’t go onto chapter 5 till you have successfully repented of and dealt with your ego in chapters 3 and 4.

1 One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret,[a] the people were crowding around him and listening to the word of God. 2 He saw at the water’s edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. 3 He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat. 4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.” 5 Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” This is funny, Peter is a professional fisherman, you can see him struggling with what the Lord tells him and catches himself just in time. It seems he almost says “I think we know how to fish” but instead says “because you say so, I will let down my nets.” I think we all have these experiences. The Lord is speaking to us, it doesn’t make sense, but in the end we decide since you are saying this I’ll do it even though it doesn’t make sense. 6 When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7 So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink. This is the kind of experience you have all the time when preaching the gospel. In college we were distributing gospel tracts our church was publishing. One tract was “Will death solve your problems?” It talked about the verse that after we die we must all appear before the judgement seat. My thought was “This is a stupid tract, no one is going to want this”. But it was what they gave us so I passed it out. Then the brothers and I all noticed people sneaking these into their books and bags to read later. Usually after handing out 100 tracts there will be 65 on the ground, but we didn’t see any. We were stunned. That tract had a huge impact on the campus.
 

Attachments

8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” 9 For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, 10 and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon’s partners.

We thought we repented in chapter 3 when John baptized us. We thought that we dealt with this in chapter 4 when we are in the wilderness for 40 days. To truly deal with your ego and appreciate that Jesus is Lord you have to obey Him to preach the gospel. Many of the experiences cause you to deal with this and know more and more that Jesus is Lord. Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will fish for people.”

11 So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.

That is the revelation you need to become a fisher of men. You simply need to see that Jesus is Lord and you aren’t. Then you will count everything as dung both your accomplishments and your failures. The treasure you are bringing is not yourself. The fact that you are a failure does not diminish the glory of God, rather Jesus shines even brighter that He was able to save you.

12 While Jesus was in one of the towns, a man came along who was covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell with his face to the ground and begged him, “Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.” 13 Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” And immediately the leprosy left him.

When we get this revelation, this light it can lead us to repentance. For example once I was preaching the gospel to a van load of students at the university. We were driving down a two lane highway in rural Texas. A student was driving the van, there were 18 students in the van and I was in the very back. The night before they had been telling stories and jokes around the campfire. So this day I asked if I could tell a story and the guy driving the van said to go ahead. I told them about Adam and Eve and how God came asking “Where are you?” The van became very quiet and many were convicted. The Lord was telling me “tell them they all could die today, that they need to repent now!” I said “no Lord, I preach the high gospel”. Then He said “I don’t have time to waste with you”. Then the driver decided to pass the car in front of us, he crossed the double yellow line, floored it, as we were going up a hill. When we came even with the other car we saw an oncoming car come over the top of the hill. The situation in the van became exceedingly tense as people were pointing but couldn’t even say one word. Inside I was repenting, I knew at that moment I had blown it, if I had listened to the Lord everyone would be praying and repenting at that moment. The driver slammed on the brakes but so did the car we were passing, and we stayed even. So he floored it again, but so did the car we were trying to pass. People in the van were shaking with fear. He then signaled left and pulled off into the shoulder of the oncoming lane avoiding the head on collision. To me this experience revealed I was covered with the sin of rebellion.

14 Then Jesus ordered him, “Don’t tell anyone, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them.” 15 Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. 16 But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.

We need a balance, time in the word, time in prayer, and time preaching the gospel.

17 One day Jesus was teaching, and Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting there. They had come from every village of Galilee and from Judea and Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was with Jesus to heal the sick.18 Some men came carrying a paralyzed man on a mat and tried to take him into the house to lay him before Jesus.19 When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus. 20 When Jesus saw their faith, he said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven.” 21 The Pharisees and the teachers of the law began thinking to themselves, “Who is this fellow who speaks blasphemy? Who can forgive sins but God alone?” 22 Jesus knew what they were thinking and asked, “Why are you thinking these things in your hearts? 23 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? 24 But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.” 25 Immediately he stood up in front of them, took what he had been lying on and went home praising God.26 Everyone was amazed and gave praise to God. They were filled with awe and said, “We have seen remarkable things today.”

So there is something quite interesting about this story, it says that Jesus saw “their faith”. This refers to the men who carried in this paralyzed man and lowered him down, yet the Lord said to the paralyzed man “friend, your sins are forgiven”. Everyone thinks that we are healed by faith and if you aren’t healed then your faith is not strong enough. But in this story there is no indication that the paralyzed man had any faith, yet he was healed. This is what the false prophets do, they tell you to be healed and if you aren’t then it is because your faith wasn’t great enough. No doubt there are going to be many believers who have already gone through this, they have already tried to speak for Jesus, they just can’t do it. They have bought into the lie that their faith is not strong enough. I can picture this paralyzed man not wanting to go before Jesus. He is going to tell me to rise and walk, I can’t do it, then He is going to say “O ye of little faith” and I will be shamed in front of everyone. He was probably very upset with the two who were taking him to Jesus against his will. Those two were obviously desperate, it is a lot of work to take of a paralyzed man. Especially a whiny one saying “I can’t do it, I can’t walk by faith, I’ve tried”. But Jesus didn’t tell him to walk by faith, rather He said “your sins are forgiven”. Then He said something that really gives the whole story away. “Which is easier”. If you know Jesus you know that He doesn’t need to worry about which is easier, that word wasn’t for Him it was for the paralyzed man. Which is easier to say “your sins are forgiven” or to say “rise and walk”? The paralyzed man was saying that it was too hard for him to rise and walk, but can you at least say “Your sins are forgiven?” You probably just cussed out those two people, why not start with them and say “I forgive you”? That is a powerful gospel message. If you have tried and failed to preach the gospel and it is just too hard for you, then I suggest you start with “I forgive you”. It is very possible that your unforgiveness has made it impossible for anyone to receive a word you say.