9 When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases,
This is very interesting because in verse 40 the disciples were “not able to drive out the demon”. We have been given the power and the authority to cure diseases, so why is it that some can’t? Right now we are seeing a “cancel culture” attacking Christians who take a stand for righteousness. For example Goya came out in support of these values and AOC called for their being “cancelled”. Instead, sales doubled. We have the power and the authority to drive out this demon. Mike Lindell was attacked and they have worked to get him kicked out of all the big box stores. He has a powerful testimony of being saved, standing for Jesus, standing for helping other addicts recover (he was a former meth addict) and he was a very visible supporter of Donald Trump. The day he was kicked out of Bed, Bath and Beyond, Kohls and a bunch of other stores he went onto some of these platforms and told his story. As a result the online orders surged and the next day he said that they are busier than ever. We have the power and the authority to drive out this demon. If we stand together the big box stores that cancelled him will all go under, they are already on the brink of bankruptcy. Meanwhile his business will grow and soar, not merely because he is a Christian but also because the products are great.
2 and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.
The Kingdom is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. I think there are many today that want to proclaim righteousness, peace and joy. I think there are many today that want to heal one form of sickness or another. How to heal climate change? How to heal the racial divide claimed by the Black Lives Matter movement? The Lord has sent us out to do this, inwardly we may have a burden to do this, so then, how do we do it?
3 He told them: “Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt.
We need these things and there are ministries that are set up where many of those who are involved provide these things. They worry about logistics. There are other words in the New Testament that describe these functions. But this is giving you the first and most important thing you must do. Step one you are fully dependent on the Lord, trusting in Him, and walking by faith. Imagine you are just learning to drive a car. The first time you sit in the driver’s seat you now have the power and the authority. If I am teaching you and this is your first time driving the car I want to be sure you are not distracted with anything else but are fully focused on the task at hand and are giving me your full attention. In the same way Jesus is giving the disciples the wheel, but He is in the passenger seat, He wants them fully tuned into what they are doing and listening to Him. Don’t worry about all the other stuff right now, just focus on listening to the Lord. Let me share an experience. Our church had a softball game with all the young people and singles. Some of the singles were in their thirties, some in their twenties, we had a number of teenagers and we also had two young boys that were around ten, maybe younger. One of these kids was on my team and was having a terrible time trying to hit the ball. People were yelling all kinds of great advice: choke up on the bat, dig your feet in, widen your stance, etc. Finally I asked him if he wanted me to help him get a hit, he said yes. Then I told him I wanted him to watch the first two pitches to go by, don’t swing, just watch them go by. I asked if he could do that? Oh yeah, he could do that. But I emphasized I really wanted him to watch the pitches. The most important thing in hitting is to see the ball, when you first start hitting it can be overwhelming to think of all the other things, so I just wanted him to watch the ball. After the first pitch I yelled “good eye, good eye”. He gave me this look that said “what is that supposed to encourage me?” I ignored him. After the second pitch I yelled, “good eye, good eye”. This time he gave me this desperate look that said “now what am I supposed to do?” I got angry and then I yelled at the pitcher, “hey throw something he can swing at, what’s wrong with you anyway?” He yelled “I’m trying”. Immediately he understood. He started to dig his feet in, his stance widened a little, his hands inched up the bat a little. He coiled and he got a hit. The most important thing with ministry is the word, focus on that. Everything else will fall into place. This is what the Lord is telling them.
4 Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town.
Complete your mission. I became a teacher working for NYC public school. I picked up the burden for inner city youths, primarily young men of color. By many different measures they were not being well served and my burden was to heal the situation. Statistically students at my school would score in the bottom 25% of NYC schools. I felt that if I could have my students perform as well as students at the highest rated high schools in the country, schools in the top 3% of NYC, then we would have healed that situation. It takes years. Be persistent. Stay until you accomplish that goal. Right now there are threats from the left to take those that supported Trump (basically conservative Christians who are pro life) and “reeducate” their children. The proper response to this is for these Christians to pull their kids from the public school. There are 75 million people who voted for Trump. So then how could they all pull their kids? Simple, you set up the one room school house at the church again. You need one adult from the church to supervise 20 kids. These kids need a laptop and the church needs wifi. That’s it. In the last year teachers all over this country have created online curriculum to teach their subject. Half of these teachers are Christians and can easily share this material with their church. Khan academy and a number of online platforms teach every subject with online material. I have a complete course in both Earth Science and Chemistry that is online. We share this with the Body of Christ. In addition you have libraries with books, tapes and documentary movies. Get a retired teacher to supervise and you are up and running in no time. If 50% of the kids in the public school walked out you would immediately send a message about who is in charge. We have an arm like God, we have a voice like God, it is time to use it.
This is very interesting because in verse 40 the disciples were “not able to drive out the demon”. We have been given the power and the authority to cure diseases, so why is it that some can’t? Right now we are seeing a “cancel culture” attacking Christians who take a stand for righteousness. For example Goya came out in support of these values and AOC called for their being “cancelled”. Instead, sales doubled. We have the power and the authority to drive out this demon. Mike Lindell was attacked and they have worked to get him kicked out of all the big box stores. He has a powerful testimony of being saved, standing for Jesus, standing for helping other addicts recover (he was a former meth addict) and he was a very visible supporter of Donald Trump. The day he was kicked out of Bed, Bath and Beyond, Kohls and a bunch of other stores he went onto some of these platforms and told his story. As a result the online orders surged and the next day he said that they are busier than ever. We have the power and the authority to drive out this demon. If we stand together the big box stores that cancelled him will all go under, they are already on the brink of bankruptcy. Meanwhile his business will grow and soar, not merely because he is a Christian but also because the products are great.
2 and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.
The Kingdom is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. I think there are many today that want to proclaim righteousness, peace and joy. I think there are many today that want to heal one form of sickness or another. How to heal climate change? How to heal the racial divide claimed by the Black Lives Matter movement? The Lord has sent us out to do this, inwardly we may have a burden to do this, so then, how do we do it?
3 He told them: “Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt.
We need these things and there are ministries that are set up where many of those who are involved provide these things. They worry about logistics. There are other words in the New Testament that describe these functions. But this is giving you the first and most important thing you must do. Step one you are fully dependent on the Lord, trusting in Him, and walking by faith. Imagine you are just learning to drive a car. The first time you sit in the driver’s seat you now have the power and the authority. If I am teaching you and this is your first time driving the car I want to be sure you are not distracted with anything else but are fully focused on the task at hand and are giving me your full attention. In the same way Jesus is giving the disciples the wheel, but He is in the passenger seat, He wants them fully tuned into what they are doing and listening to Him. Don’t worry about all the other stuff right now, just focus on listening to the Lord. Let me share an experience. Our church had a softball game with all the young people and singles. Some of the singles were in their thirties, some in their twenties, we had a number of teenagers and we also had two young boys that were around ten, maybe younger. One of these kids was on my team and was having a terrible time trying to hit the ball. People were yelling all kinds of great advice: choke up on the bat, dig your feet in, widen your stance, etc. Finally I asked him if he wanted me to help him get a hit, he said yes. Then I told him I wanted him to watch the first two pitches to go by, don’t swing, just watch them go by. I asked if he could do that? Oh yeah, he could do that. But I emphasized I really wanted him to watch the pitches. The most important thing in hitting is to see the ball, when you first start hitting it can be overwhelming to think of all the other things, so I just wanted him to watch the ball. After the first pitch I yelled “good eye, good eye”. He gave me this look that said “what is that supposed to encourage me?” I ignored him. After the second pitch I yelled, “good eye, good eye”. This time he gave me this desperate look that said “now what am I supposed to do?” I got angry and then I yelled at the pitcher, “hey throw something he can swing at, what’s wrong with you anyway?” He yelled “I’m trying”. Immediately he understood. He started to dig his feet in, his stance widened a little, his hands inched up the bat a little. He coiled and he got a hit. The most important thing with ministry is the word, focus on that. Everything else will fall into place. This is what the Lord is telling them.
4 Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town.
Complete your mission. I became a teacher working for NYC public school. I picked up the burden for inner city youths, primarily young men of color. By many different measures they were not being well served and my burden was to heal the situation. Statistically students at my school would score in the bottom 25% of NYC schools. I felt that if I could have my students perform as well as students at the highest rated high schools in the country, schools in the top 3% of NYC, then we would have healed that situation. It takes years. Be persistent. Stay until you accomplish that goal. Right now there are threats from the left to take those that supported Trump (basically conservative Christians who are pro life) and “reeducate” their children. The proper response to this is for these Christians to pull their kids from the public school. There are 75 million people who voted for Trump. So then how could they all pull their kids? Simple, you set up the one room school house at the church again. You need one adult from the church to supervise 20 kids. These kids need a laptop and the church needs wifi. That’s it. In the last year teachers all over this country have created online curriculum to teach their subject. Half of these teachers are Christians and can easily share this material with their church. Khan academy and a number of online platforms teach every subject with online material. I have a complete course in both Earth Science and Chemistry that is online. We share this with the Body of Christ. In addition you have libraries with books, tapes and documentary movies. Get a retired teacher to supervise and you are up and running in no time. If 50% of the kids in the public school walked out you would immediately send a message about who is in charge. We have an arm like God, we have a voice like God, it is time to use it.