Lukewarm Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
The term "lukewarm" is overused by people who think salvation is based on performance, anyone in Christ is either hot or cold, and anyone outside of Christ is lukewarm because they are neither of the two...It has nothing to do with temperature, or being somewhere in the middle, and it has nothing to do with performance.. In Christ you are either Dead in Christ, or Alive in Christ.

Revelation 3:15-16

15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

NIV for those who still didn't see it

15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!
16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

key words " I would thou wert cold or hot." or NIV "I wish you were either one or the other!"
"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."

What an Alive Christian looks like:

Romans 6:8-11

8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with Him. 9For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, He cannot die again; death no longer has dominion over Him. 10The death He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life He lives, He lives to God. 11So you too must count yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Now i am pretty sure you are wondering what of a Dead in Christ christian.. Scripture refers to them as fallen asleep.

1 Thessalonians 4:15
15By the word of the Lord, we declare to you that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who have fallen asleep.

But watch, God is good, He does this...
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel,
and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise.
17After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds
to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

So in short.. the next time you see a brother or sister who is slipping let them know that they have fallen asleep, and not being alive to God. Do not discourage them by telling them that God is going to spit them from His mouth, because that is a lie if they are born again, and in Christ.

Sep 3, 2016
Jesus makes it crystal clear that most Christians love Him, but they just don't love Him first. They date Him while being married to the world.

Study Rev. 2:4-5. We learn something is wrong, despite their zeal. "Because you have left your first love (not "lost" your first love; it refers to a departure from the Cross. This means they fell from Grace, which means they had stopped depending on Christ and the Cross - Gal. 5:4).

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Lukewarm is believers who do not have Christ in them.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
Jesus makes it crystal clear that most Christians love Him, but they just don't love Him first. They date Him while being married to the world.

Study Rev. 2:4-5. We learn something is wrong, despite their zeal. "Because you have left your first love (not "lost" your first love; it refers to a departure from the Cross. This means they fell from Grace, which means they had stopped depending on Christ and the Cross - Gal. 5:4).

Yes i see rev 2:4-5
he is talking about a specific branch that had their focus on him the first time but then ended up focusing on something else. I know what church he is talking about too.. It happens sometimes with traditions people lose the focus of Christ and adapt old pagan ways into the church while keeping some aspects they like...
That's the story of man for you. Removing Holy Spirit from the church is different from completely denying them by spewing them from His mouth though..

As for Galatians 5:4 Paul is talking about those who are still trying to live in the Old Testament, and he is saying if you are going to live that life you had better obey the full law, not only did he say that, but he said trying to live out the fullness of the Old Testament laws would = Christ would have no value to you at all because you would be trying to earn righteous on your own (the hard way)... he goes on to say that as you try to be justified to fulfilling the Old Testament laws you alienate yourself from Christ, and you would fall away from grace. If you fall away from grace it is self inflicted, and it doesn't mean
that it has left you, it means that you are turning away from it, when you are supposed to be facing it instead... A lot of people are like this though, because they think they can "earn" their way into salvation when grace is freely given, and faith in what Christ has done, and living the life the apostles say to live takes place of fulfilling the law of the Old Testament.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
Lukewarm is believers who do not have Christ in them.
what you just said goes against scripture, who told you that?

Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

J

joefizz

The term "lukewarm" is overused by people who think salvation is based on performance, anyone in Christ is either hot or cold, and anyone outside of Christ is lukewarm because they are neither of the two...It has nothing to do with temperature, or being somewhere in the middle, and it has nothing to do with performance.. In Christ you are either Dead in Christ, or Alive in Christ.

Revelation 3:15-16

15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

NIV for those who still didn't see it

15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!
16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

key words " I would thou wert cold or hot." or NIV "I wish you were either one or the other!"
"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."

What an Alive Christian looks like:

Romans 6:8-11

8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with Him. 9For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, He cannot die again; death no longer has dominion over Him. 10The death He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life He lives, He lives to God. 11So you too must count yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Now i am pretty sure you are wondering what of a Dead in Christ christian.. Scripture refers to them as fallen asleep.

1 Thessalonians 4:15
15By the word of the Lord, we declare to you that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who have fallen asleep.

But watch, God is good, He does this...
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel,
and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise.
17After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds
to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

So in short.. the next time you see a brother or sister who is slipping let them know that they have fallen asleep, and not being alive to God. Do not discourage them by telling them that God is going to spit them from His mouth, because that is a lie if they are born again, and in Christ.
Yeah lukewarm in the bible is more of speaking on that a person should not just "claim" to be for him but rather are "honestly" for him,because many can believe they are God's servant without being his servant,because people "keep up appearances" such as going to church or paying tithes,God means that you don't simply claim to be for him but rather you accept Jesus as saviour,and will do what is right for God,because anyone can try to do "just enough" to look good to people but God means he would rather that a person be for him or against him rather than a person claim to be for him yet are against him.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
But that is not the end of the matter. Those who are in Christ must live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world, and be careful to maintain good works. If this is not evident, then they are indeed "dead in their sins and trespasses", but not "dead in Christ". So Christ does assess your performance, and if you doubt that read and study the letters to the seven churches in Revelation.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
what you just said goes against scripture, who told you that?

Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Jesus says to the lukewarm:

Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Repent means to turn to God, Keep in mind who is this to?

"church of the Laodiceans" the church.

Paul refers to such believers as Carnal.

Jesus referred to them also as foolish virgins. In each case it is a serious charge.

Of the carnal Paul says: Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Of the Foolish virgins Jesus says: Mat 25:12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

Of the Luke warm church Jesus says: "I will spue thee out of my mouth."

In all three cases mentioned above the messages are for those who claim to follow God.

Feb 7, 2015
Yeah lukewarm in the bible is more of speaking on that a person should not just "claim" to be for him but rather are "honestly" for him,because many can believe they are God's servant without being his servant,because people "keep up appearances" such as going to church or paying tithes,God means that you don't simply claim to be for him but rather you accept Jesus as saviour,and will do what is right for God,because anyone can try to do "just enough" to look good to people but God means he would rather that a person be for him or against him rather than a person claim to be for him yet are against him.
This person seems to understand, to a certain extent, what John was writing about in that letter.

Aug 8, 2017
Lukewarm is both hot and cold.
Can you boil an egg with cold water? No the cold water is useless. So if someone is both hot and cold their useless.
You have to be one or the other.

James 3:10-12 ESV

From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Keep in mind the imagery used by Jesus here:

Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Lev 18:26 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:
Lev 18:27 (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled;)
Lev 18:28 That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.
Lev 18:29 For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.

Lev 20:22 Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out.

The term is one of rejection, Thus Jesus is saying that the condition of these Christians is of such a nature that Jesus will spue them out if they do not repent.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014