Lutheran rosary?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Innerfire89

Aug 23, 2017
I heard a Lutheran pastor talk about using rosary and I was just wondering if that was a common practice by most Lutherans. By what the pastor said, Lutherans don't use rosary the same way Roman Catholics do, they don't ask for intercession from Mary and the beads are more of a reminder to meditate on core beliefs.

I just never heard of this before, so what's the deal?

Feb 7, 2015
Well, you know that Martin Luther was originally a Catholic.

D

Depleted

I heard a Lutheran pastor talk about using rosary and I was just wondering if that was a common practice by most Lutherans. By what the pastor said, Lutherans don't use rosary the same way Roman Catholics do, they don't ask for intercession from Mary and the beads are more of a reminder to meditate on core beliefs.

I just never heard of this before, so what's the deal?
Never heard it either, so googled.

http://www.wikihow.com/Pray-the-Lutheran-Rosary

Innerfire89

Aug 23, 2017
Well, you know that Martin Luther was originally a Catholic.
It's probably safe to say Luther prayed the rosary, and Calvin belived in the perpetual virginity of Mary. I'm not looking to have a dual with a Roman Catholic, but Rome left those early reformers more than the reformers left Rome.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Honestly I don't even know what Lutherians believe so them using a Rosary would be over my head, but I never understood the point of using an item to pray I mean is it supposed to somehow enhance the power of the prayer? and for that matter why do people use oil to anoint a house?

Innerfire89

Aug 23, 2017
Honestly I don't even know what Lutherians believe so them using a Rosary would be over my head, but I never understood the point of using an item to pray I mean is it supposed to somehow enhance the power of the prayer? and for that matter why do people use oil to anoint a house?
As far as I know, Lutherans are one of the most lithigural denominations, I didn't know it went that far though. I think they believe in transubstantiation also, not really sure though.

graceNpeace

Aug 12, 2016
As far as I know, Lutherans are one of the most lithigural denominations, I didn't know it went that far though. I think they believe in transubstantiation also, not really sure though.
Is this supposed to be liturgical...

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Well I suppose in each branch of Christianity they have different ways of doing things, I don't know the depth of each one but I would assume that it probably is different from how I do things. I can't really say that it's wrong to use a rosary when prayer I mean whatever helps you to feel more comfortable talking with God if you need to use a rosary then I say by all means go for it.
However there is a limit to how lenient I am when it comes to prayer such as praying to Mary or using chanting.

But I have only heard of Catholics using those methods so perhaps this may be a new breed of Lutherians

Innerfire89

Aug 23, 2017
Well I suppose in each branch of Christianity they have different ways of doing things, I don't know the depth of each one but I would assume that it probably is different from how I do things. I can't really say that it's wrong to use a rosary when prayer I mean whatever helps you to feel more comfortable talking with God if you need to use a rosary then I say by all means go for it.
However there is a limit to how lenient I am when it comes to prayer such as praying to Mary or using chanting.

But I have only heard of Catholics using those methods so perhaps this may be a new breed of Lutherians
I couldn't support them if they are praying repitive prayers, but if the beads are a simple reminder I see no problem with that.

Mat. 5:7 But when ye pray, do not use vain repetitions, like the heathen do: for they think they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
It all seems so ritualistic to me. I don't like to be told what to pray and in the order of it.

My heart speaks very well by itself.

Innerfire89

Aug 23, 2017
It all seems so ritualistic to me. I don't like to be told what to pray and in the order of it.

Good point, prayer means nothing if you don't mean it.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012

I'm the same way, I mean if I can't talk to him with my heart and express myself in the way that he and I communicate best in then what is the point? For me prayer is more of a conversion than anything

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
It's probably safe to say Luther prayed the rosary, and Calvin belived in the perpetual virginity of Mary. I'm not looking to have a dual with a Roman Catholic, but Rome left those early reformers more than the reformers left Rome.
Hi Innerfire,

It's not accurate that Calvin believed in the perpetual virginity of Mary.

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
Yes, you're mistaken. He views Mary is the correct way; not as the Catholics do.

Jul 23, 2017

I think it has its advantages: Guiding and disciplining the mind, controlling straying thoughts and focus and whatnot.

Innerfire89

Aug 23, 2017
I think it has its advantages: Guiding and disciplining the mind, controlling straying thoughts and focus and whatnot.
True. But we have a guide for prayer already though, the Lord's prayer. And we don't want to pray repitisiuosly.

Now if the the rosary is just being used as a reminder than I guess that's fine.