Manifestations/persons difference

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
I am a firm believer in the trinity

Jesus is God

Holy Spirit is God

Father is God

They are coequal, co eternal, co-existing

One being.. God

So what is the issue with calling them manifestations?

How is that different from persons?

I'm not oneness Pentecostal but I don't see a lot of difference

So how do you define the difference?

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
@EternalFire this is sort of a long video and it starts off sort of slow, can you summarize?

I made it about five minutes and the meat is difficult to see.

At this time I don't feel that the typical response of it being "a mystery" is unreasonable. I don't use the word trinity really at all except that the concept of distinctions is seen in scripture.

Jesus didn't say, I'm going away so that I can come back again in a different form since I can't serve the body globally in the flesh. Maybe that's what he meant? That's a bold claim I am unwilling to make.

In the Old Testament there is the personhood of the word of the Lord and The Lord, but I think that's the Father. There are many distinctions actually that it seems impossible (outside Christ) to be conclusive.

Father, Son, Holy Spirit all being God is not unreasonable to me. I cannot say for certain what all this means but it stands to reason that it's beyond me and I just can't "get it" other than to know that there is an interlocking and holy agreement present at all times. It is unreasonable for me to presume that I can "understand" it in my own mind unglorified.

I think when you can answer what the difference between a glorified body and what we have now is you'll have your answer :)

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Ya the video saying we are duped.. but is plain in scripture that aside from the Father.. Jesus and the Holy Spirit have equal power and receive equal worship

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I really like how @p_rehbein put it:

God OF us (Father)

God AS us (Son)

God IN us (Holy Spirit)

:)

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Manifestations apply to just one person showing up in different ways.
Oh.. I think I finally get the difference..

Doing that would create inequality and inferiority between Father, Son and Holy Spirit

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Except Jesus is not a man...He has taken back his glory and is God on throne and judge of the world!
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 1 Timothy 2:5

Dec 12, 2013
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 1 Timothy 2:5
Yep....and the Father judges no man, but hath committed all judgement unto the Son....and I saw the Dead stand before GOD and the books were opened...........!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yep....and the Father judges no man, but hath committed all judgement unto the Son....and I saw the Dead stand before GOD and the books were opened...........!
I am not sure what that has to do with your contesting that Jesus is/was AS us...

For this reason He had to be made like His brothers in every way, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, in order to make atonement for the sins of the people. Hebrews 2:17

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who was tempted in every way that we are, yet was without sin.
Hebrew 4:15

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
This one may help you with the "logic." No sound and shorter. Enjoy.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
God is God.
I'll take God, however called in the Bible I accept Him, we know His person and what He's like so it's not like you can mistake God's character for someone else, once you know Him.
And His manifestation also surpasses human language a little, because He's kind of.......... you know......... V A S T :geek:
In Old Slavic language that was used in Orthodox church since its foundation, it's basically called "faces" instead of persons or manifestations that is used in other languages.
I think words may be failing mankind in this case.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
God is God.
I'll take God, however called in the Bible I accept Him, we know His person and what He's like so it's not like you can mistake God's character for someone else, once you know Him.
And His manifestation also surpasses human language a little, because He's kind of.......... you know......... V A S T :geek:
In Old Slavic language that's used in Orthodox church it's basically called "faces" instead of persons or manifestations that is used in other languages.
Yes, I always trip over 'persons' because it makes me think of entirely seperate beings.. whereas God is one triune being.
Then manifestations.. like Nehemiah6 posted- can be God manifesting as Jesus at one point.. and then not as the Holy Spirit or the Father at the same time.

Just gotta let the scripture speak for itself I guess and not get too worried about it :)

E

EleventhHour

God is God.
In Old Slavic language that was used in Orthodox church since its foundation, it's basically called "faces" instead of persons or manifestations that is used in other languages.
Yes....person comes from Latin "persona" meaning faces / mask as in classical plays... the role they played.... interesting.

E

EleventhHour

God is God.
Agree that words can be very limiting.