Marijuana and Christianity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Kayny14

Jan 15, 2020
So I would like to ask this question then. Is it ok for a Christian to drink and own a bar? If it is, how is this different than using recreational marijuana and owning a business that sells it?

Feb 29, 2020
1 Timothy 5:23
[23] ...use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

I would stay away from any other intoxicating substance.

As to the question of hookers; the Bible is quite clear regarding whoremongers:

Hebrews 13:4
[4] Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

K

kaylagrl

So I would like to ask this question then. Is it ok for a Christian to drink and own a bar? If it is, how is this different than using recreational marijuana and owning a business that sells it?

Neither is ok. Bible says shun the very appearance... We aren't suppose to be doing the same thing as the world is doing getting drunk and high. Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
and we are being "conformed to the image of the Son" in this life.

May 21, 2020
I would like to know what people think about being a Christian and using marijuana. Also, would it be acceptable for a Christian to run a recreational marijuana business as long as it is somewhere where it is legal?
Legal doesn't always mean morally correct. As many people have already mentioned, though in different ways, (recreational) marijuana use is not treating your body as a temple. It helps people with parkinsons, or cancer patients, calm down and quit having tremors or violently throwing up. However, for recreational users this calming effect is excessive. For example, your stomach slows its work significantly and just sits there. Not exactly harmless. People smoke for the "high" and the fleeting moment of what seems to be a happy calm before being thrown back into the turmoil of the world. We as Christians don't need that, as we can turn to God for a better, everlasting joy no matter what happens.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Any Christian that is seriously considering the plant for any reason beyond medicinal usage (and there is a fine line there btw) better well understand what Pharmakeia (witchcraft, sorcery) is before "partaking".

The state is unaccountably different from drunkenness, except in the stereotypical way that it is portrayed in the media. There are some where it's something like drinking...but there are others where the cerebral/spiritual element can be channeled to one's own purposes. This doesn't necessarily have to be purposely aligning one's self toward evil blatantly...but the issue is setting up your own will as "god" in your life. Pursuing your life as you see fit, setting yourself up as god with the Lord being secondary and almost deistic in relationship.

I would say for some the drinking and sobriety element could hold sway as an argument. To others that this has no power over because it appears to work positive mental/spiritual change allowing for more personal control, understand that there is something very deep at work and I think unless you have clarity before the Lord, there is a damning element. Pharaoh's magicians were likely to have been very clear headed in the traditional sense, spiritually this was NOT so.

Consider the Rastafarian sacramental element as well. I am not denying it can be used this way, what I will debate is that it can be used as a sacrament unto the Lord. Who are you worshipping? If you choose to pursue it further into the recreational/spiritual category just be aware of what it "could be" and not from some random person on the net. Seek him on it.

I am not unaware of some of these elements. Unfortunately, much like sex outside marriage, this feels like it may be in the same category.

There's a lot more to be said, but since this issue has "sat" for a while without clarification and there are temptations in forbidden knowledge that I struggle with and "why" it's wrong (not that I don't think it's wrong) I'll leave that element here.

There are topics I won't discuss here except to say to stay away and that they are written in plain scripture. You reap what you sow and Cannabis feels like autocannabalism in a way potentially (virgin's oil?). Sourcing from yourself or perhaps the enemy...or from the Lord but sort of "peeking" ahead, using a shortcut, cheating yourself out of learning to eat the meat of the word and skipping to dessert...Except, it's not time for dessert yet is it? He isn't back yet. So then, any feasting that is done on something that cannot be properly enjoyed until it is the proper time for feasting is error. The marriage of the bridegroom has not yet occurred and there are many things the enemy can use to steal from us and divert us into spiritual harlotry in the meantime. Be wary, and exhaust all avenues prior to engaging it, there's always something else you can do and it pains me at times but choosing the Lord's way isn't usually as "delicious" but I have faith that someday it will be and we will get to rejoice and glory in him properly not just in tiny snippets.

I realize this is a lot, I had already let this thread slide but it was bumped. Things are a bit clearer to me now than they were then, I had lost sight of what was in store and had misplaced that faith for tantalizing moral decadence as the only thing in sight and to resist it...but it seems now it's easier to resist because my focus is on eternity more, which is cool.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I have heard it taught by an anointed brother in Christ that is can be a way to enter the spiritual realm, but it is an illegal way.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Really? You come back months later to stir it up again, don't answer any of the main points anybody has made, and keep arguing that it should be okay?

Two possibilities:
1 - You are a troll who enjoys making and perpetuating arguments.
2 - You want to justify using marijuana so you won't feel guilty about using it yourself.

Either way, I'm out. You will do what you want and there is no profit in arguing with you.

Kayny14

Jan 15, 2020
Really? You come back months later to stir it up again, don't answer any of the main points anybody has made, and keep arguing that it should be okay?

Two possibilities:
1 - You are a troll who enjoys making and perpetuating arguments.
2 - You want to justify using marijuana so you won't feel guilty about using it yourself.

Either way, I'm out. You will do what you want and there is no profit in arguing with you.
I never saw a response in my email till yesterday. You're the one getting all bent out of shape. I responded because your logic does not sink up. I am not a troll. I am not arguing. I am asking sincere questions. You're the only one on here being disrespectful.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I never saw a response in my email till yesterday. You're the one getting all bent out of shape. I responded because your logic does not sink up. I am not a troll. I am not arguing. I am asking sincere questions. You're the only one on here being disrespectful.
What/who are you directing this too?

Dec 9, 2011
Hmmm... the OP is a new member with one post, and that one post starts a thread, and that thread is a well known hot topic that is sure to create arguments...

*Lynx goes off to dig around in the closet for the "Please do not feed the trolls" sign.
Topics might have different names but pretty much every topic In CC has been discussed over and over again and this Is a site for people to post their thoughts so then why make a post that discourages posting?

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
From a plain biblical standpoint there is no ok for anything mind altering or addictive, medication or not.
From a opinionated standpoint you can say something different in whatever direction. But plain biblically marijuana, alcohol, cigarettes etc. should be avoided.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Scripture speaks to the importance of sobriety, which would include not using drugs recreationally :)

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Hi Demi! Great to see you once more. Holy Spirit, that we are supposed to be guided by, has never directed anyone to excess.
Blessings

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
this probably isn't Holy Spirit led either-

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I would like to know what people think about being a Christian and using marijuana. Also, would it be acceptable for a Christian to run a recreational marijuana business as long as it is somewhere where it is legal?
Hello Kayny14!

The answer to your question would be a definite no! As it is not an acceptable practice with God. Marijuana, among others, is a drug which is translated from the Greek word 'pharmakeia' which is where we get our English word pharmaceutical from.

Strong's Concordance
pharmakeia: the use of medicine, drugs or spells
Original Word: φαρμακεία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: pharmakeia
Phonetic Spelling: (far-mak-i'-ah)
Definition: the use of medicine, drugs or spells
Usage: magic, sorcery, enchantment.

HELPS Word-studies
pharmakeía (from pharmakeuō, "administer drugs") – properly, drug-related sorcery, like the practice of magical-arts, etc. (A. T. Robertson).

============================================

"And the rest of the men who were not killed by these plagues did not even repent of the works of their hands so that they will not worship the demons, and the golden and silver and bronze and stone and wooden idols, which are able neither to see, nor to hear, nor to walk. And they did not repent of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their sexual immorality, nor of their thefts.

This would be referring to all who are engaging in recreational drug use, even though they are not casting spells or performing incantations. Recreational drug use also falls under sorcery or magic arts.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Hi Demi! Great to see you once more. Holy Spirit, that we are supposed to be guided by, has never directed anyone to excess.
Blessings
Helloooo nice to see you to. Agreed. Excess can be defined in many different ways though.

R

Reformyourself

Although I'm all for cannabis being used as a medicine to cure things like cancer and treat the symptoms of multiple sclerosis, I think using it for recreation might even be worse than using alcohol and cigarettes for recreation. Because of its effects on the mind, recreational use of cannabis might be more similar to sorcery than drunkenness.
O yes, forgot about the sorcery. Thankyou for the reminder...I have used it when young, so need to repent 🙏