Mark 2 1-5

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 28, 2024
2 A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home. 2 They gathered in such large numbers that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them. 3 Some men came, bringing to him a paralyzed man, carried by four of them. 4 Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus by digging through it and then lowered the mat the man was lying on. 5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralyzed man, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”

I have listened to several studies on the above verses. In all the studies I have heard the talk about the paralyzed man wanting to get to Jesus to be healed. I wonder why everyone assumes he came before the Lord because he wished for healing. It says that when Jesus saw their faith he told the paralyzed man his sins were forgiven. What is to say that was not the true reason he came before Jesus. Isn't it saying that Jesus replied to their faith? Wouldn't he have healed him if that was what their faith wanted? Am I weird for thinking that?

Jul 18, 2017
I wonder why everyone assumes he came before the Lord because he wished for healing.
Because that is exactly what we find in Scripture. To break through a roof to get to Christ showed that he and his friends desperately wanted to see him healed. But he also needed healing for his soul. So his sins were forgiven and he was also healed physically.

Also, you translation is incorrect and so are your assumptions. Jesus had NOT "come home". He was "in the house" (KJB) (presumably the house owned by Peter and Andrew). Also the passage says nothing about Jesus "replying" to their faith. It says that "when He saw their faith".

Jul 18, 2017
Why presume that? There is zero reason to.
There is every reason to if you know your Scriptures. "Presumably" because it is not stated explicitly. But Peter and Andrew were the ones who owned a house in Capernaum, and Peter's mother-in-law lived in it.

MATTHEW 8: PETER'S HOUSE
5And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him... 13 And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour. 14 And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever. 15 And he touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them... And forthwith, when they were come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John... And again he entered into Capernaum after some days; and it was noised that he was in the house. (Mark 1:29;2:1)

Mark 1:29-31 relates the same incident about Peter's mother-in-law as in Mathew 8. Then Mark 2 speaks about Jesus entering Capernaum "after some days" and the healing of the paralytic.

So you should have studied your Bible before responding. I did not need to post all of this. That modern version quoted in the OP says "He had come home" which is TOTAL NONSENSE. Christ said He had no home. And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head. (Mt 8:20)

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
2 A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home. 2 They gathered in such large numbers that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them. 3 Some men came, bringing to him a paralyzed man, carried by four of them. 4 Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus by digging through it and then lowered the mat the man was lying on. 5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralyzed man, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”

I have listened to several studies on the above verses. In all the studies I have heard the talk about the paralyzed man wanting to get to Jesus to be healed. I wonder why everyone assumes he came before the Lord because he wished for healing. It says that when Jesus saw their faith he told the paralyzed man his sins were forgiven. What is to say that was not the true reason he came before Jesus. Isn't it saying that Jesus replied to their faith? Wouldn't he have healed him if that was what their faith wanted? Am I weird for thinking that?
It's an interesting idea. I'm not sure anyone realized at that point that Christ had come for the forgiveness of sins. However, if the man did have faith that Jesus could forgive his sins, then that would indeed be an example of great faith.

Jul 25, 2024
Why presume that? There is zero reason to.
Hi @Magenta

While I do agree that we can't know with any certainty that it was Peter's house, historically it seems that there were a number of apostles who were 'from 'Capernaum. Peter, John, Andrew, James and Matthew are all noted as being 'from' Capernaum. So it was likely in one of their homes. We know that it wasn't Jesus' home because he had no familial connection, that we're told of, in Capernaum. Certainly not where his mother and father would have lived and Jesus didn't have a home of his own.

But again, that is not something that the Scriptures make clear to us, whose home it was.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

a notice there’s usually contemporary verses in the other gospel accounts

“And, behold, men brought in a bed a man which was taken with a palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him. And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in because of the multitude, they went upon the housetop, and let him down through the tiling with his couch into the midst before Jesus.

And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.

And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone? But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts? Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house. And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that whereon he lay, and departed to his own house, glorifying God. And they were all amazed, and they glorified God, and were filled with fear, saying, We have seen strange things to day.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭5:18-26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And they come unto him, bringing one sick of the palsy, which was borne of four. And when they could not come nigh unto him for the press, they uncovered the roof where he was: and when they had broken it up, they let down the bed wherein the sick of the palsy lay. When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee. But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts, Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only? And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts? Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house. And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭2:3-12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

In the Old Testament God had promised to come to thenm and forgive thier sins and iniquities . Often Jesus is fulfilling prophecy to proclaim who he is

he was telling them “ I’m the messiah the promised son of man who came from God and I can forgive your sins and heal you make you whole”

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hi @Magenta

While I do agree that we can't know with any certainty that it was Peter's house, historically it seems that there were a number of apostles who were 'from 'Capernaum. Peter, John, Andrew, James and Matthew are all noted as being 'from' Capernaum. So it was likely in one of their homes. We know that it wasn't Jesus' home because he had no familial connection, that we're told of, in Capernaum. Certainly not where his mother and father would have lived and Jesus didn't have a home of his own.

But again, that is not something that the Scriptures make clear to us, whose home it was.
Jesus took the first to follow Him to where He lived. Not to where any of
the other apostles lived, because no others were following Him yet.

It seems @Nehemiah6 is unaware of this also.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Jesus took the first to follow Him to where He lived. Not to where any of
the other apostles lived, because no others were following Him yet.

It seems @Nehemiah6 is unaware of this also.
“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples; and looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God! And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.

Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou? He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:35-39‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jul 28, 2024
Because that is exactly what we find in Scripture. To break through a roof to get to Christ showed that he and his friends desperately wanted to see him healed. But he also needed healing for his soul. So his sins were forgiven and he was also healed physically.

Also, you translation is incorrect and so are your assumptions. Jesus had NOT "come home". He was "in the house" (KJB) (presumably the house owned by Peter and Andrew). Also the passage says nothing about Jesus "replying" to their faith. It says that "when He saw their faith".
Thank you for replying to my post and giving your opinion. I posted with my honest thoughts just as you have done. While your thoughts are honest I would appreciate it if you would be more polite and less accusatory next time. I realize you may have not meant it that way but unfortunately, that is the way it was received. Also there are many translations of the Bible. Unless you are using a direct translation from the original Hebrew/Aramaic all translations are valid for the glory of God. I truly believe the NIV would not have been permitted unless by the direct authority of God Himself. However, that being said I truly appreciate your reply and your opinions.

Jul 28, 2024
It's an interesting idea. I'm not sure anyone realized at that point that Christ had come for the forgiveness of sins. However, if the man did have faith that Jesus could forgive his sins, then that would indeed be an example of great faith.
That might explain why it is a given assumption he was there for healing

Sep 4, 2013
You can compare the KJV version of Mark 2:1-5 with the Complete Jewish Bible to see any agreement or differences.

1 After a while, Yeshua returned to K'far-Nachum. The word spread that he was back,
2 and so many people gathered around the house that there was no longer any room, not even in front of the door. While he was preaching the message to them,
3 four men came to him carrying a paralyzed man.
4 They could not get near Yeshua because of the crowd, so they stripped the roof over the place where he was, made an opening, and lowered the stretcher with the paralytic lying on it.
5 Seeing their trust, Yeshua said to the paralyzed man, "Son, your sins are forgiven."
6 Some Torah-teachers sitting there thought to themselves,
7 "How can this fellow say such a thing? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins except God?"
8 But immediately Yeshua, perceiving in his spirit what they were thinking, said to them, "Why are you thinking these things?
9 Which is easier to say to the paralyzed man? `Your sins are forgiven'? or `Get up, pick up your stretcher and walk'?
10 But look! I will prove to you that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins." He then said to the paralytic,
11 "I say to you: get up, pick up your stretcher and go home!"
12 In front of everyone the man got up, picked up his stretcher at once and left. They were all utterly amazed and praised God, saying, "We have never seen anything like this!"
13 Yeshua went out again by the lake. All the crowd came to him, and he began teaching them.

As I read it, Jesus was not just offering healing to the man, but to also prove to those who doubted who he was that he had the authority to forgive sins here on earth. (verse 10)

So, he was accomplishing two things at one time by speaking the way he did. IMO.

Jul 28, 2024
You can compare the KJV version of Mark 2:1-5 with the Complete Jewish Bible to see any agreement or differences.

1 After a while, Yeshua returned to K'far-Nachum. The word spread that he was back,
2 and so many people gathered around the house that there was no longer any room, not even in front of the door. While he was preaching the message to them,
3 four men came to him carrying a paralyzed man.
4 They could not get near Yeshua because of the crowd, so they stripped the roof over the place where he was, made an opening, and lowered the stretcher with the paralytic lying on it.
5 Seeing their trust, Yeshua said to the paralyzed man, "Son, your sins are forgiven."
6 Some Torah-teachers sitting there thought to themselves,
7 "How can this fellow say such a thing? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins except God?"
8 But immediately Yeshua, perceiving in his spirit what they were thinking, said to them, "Why are you thinking these things?
9 Which is easier to say to the paralyzed man? `Your sins are forgiven'? or `Get up, pick up your stretcher and walk'?
10 But look! I will prove to you that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins." He then said to the paralytic,
11 "I say to you: get up, pick up your stretcher and go home!"
12 In front of everyone the man got up, picked up his stretcher at once and left. They were all utterly amazed and praised God, saying, "We have never seen anything like this!"
13 Yeshua went out again by the lake. All the crowd came to him, and he began teaching them.

As I read it, Jesus was not just offering healing to the man, but to also prove to those who doubted who he was that he had the authority to forgive sins here on earth. (verse 10)

So, he was accomplishing two things at one time by speaking the way he did. IMO.
Can you tell me where I can find the Complete Jewish Bible in English? I would love to study the Bible from it. It would also help if I could get one for my family. One of my sisters and her kids argue that The Bible is inaccurate. The King James Version was written to please a corrupt king and all newer translations were based on the King James version. My sister says she believes there is a God but does not know who that God is. I'm hoping that if I give her a translation taken directly from the original Hebrew/Aramaic it would help her.