Mark of Cain

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
Indeed, the lesson is always bigger than the test. One can focus on a small fact and miss the big picture. Every word, story and lesson are placed before us to grow in faith and knowledge of the richness of God’s glory, and to learn, live and above all “share” this reality, that only comes from God, to those living witout hope, in this fallen world.
It would seem that other oral traditions of men as to the living suffering of hell indicating no rest for the wicked have made that written tradition of God a mark of His word, without effect. Turning it into a literal mark as a sign that some seek after to avoid , therefore not mixing faith in what they do see or hear. The gospel not having any affect to its hearer providing no rest.

Dec 9, 2017
The subject of the text is vengeance vs humbleness and forgiveness ("doing well"). Cain chose a vengeful spirit, so it says God gave it to him, because it is what he chose. Vengeance is a great deterrent to murder but it has also fueled much anger, fudes and wars. To make myself clear: I think the mark of Cain was and still is the mark of a vengeful spirit. Have you ever struggled with it? have you ever stayed your hand because of the vengeance you feared would followed on you?

Mar 28, 2016
The subject of the text is vengeance vs humbleness and forgiveness ("doing well"). Cain chose a vengeful spirit, so it says God gave it to him, because it is what he chose. Vengeance is a great deterrent to murder but it has also fueled much anger, fudes and wars. To make myself clear: I think the mark of Cain was and still is the mark of a vengeful spirit. Have you ever struggled with it? have you ever stayed your hand because of the vengeance you feared would followed on you?
I would agree the subject of the text is vengeance vs humbleness and forgiveness as the beginning of the matter . There Abel humbled himself by the grace of God that worked in him with him and did the good pleasure believing God not seen. And the father of lies a murder from the beginning began his murderous rampage.

When Abel brought the gospel in respect to believing a God not seen, to show Cain had no faith he murdered his brother as in out of sight out of mind . The same reason un converted mankind represented by the unbelieving Jews crucified the Lord of glory. Then I would think another part of the subject matter comes in, in respect to the mark, which I think is like; "mark my word I will bring it to pass". Almost as saying you are not going to get off that easy, I set the standard

Abel's blood was used to represent the gospel it is still crying out .You could say he passed it on to the Son of man who gave His Spirit in jeopardy of His own Spirit for our sin .

The punishment that was more than he could bear is in his work the fruitfulness of it has become all for nothing no future joy to look forward to. The work would be harder no rest for the wicked in that way .No Sabbath rest that could come from having a faith that can please God not seen. A restless wanderer

And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground. And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth. And Cain said unto the Lord, My punishment is greater than I can bear. Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me. And the Lord said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the Lord set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.Geneisis 4:10-15

Only Christ could bear the sins of those he calls to salvation. They have a future hope that gives them daily rest/sabbath as those given the privilege to mix faith in what we do see or hear, believing God not seen and not that of our own selves.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Interesting thread Sipsey. Very interested to see what your study finds. :)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I think the mark of Cain was and still is the mark of a vengeful spirit.
Since it is God who gave Cain his distinctive mark, and God does not give people the desire or tendency to sin, this would be really stretching it. Cain's vengeful spirit came from Satan, but that Mark was actually to protect Cain from being slaughtered. We simply don't know what message was branded on Cain. But it prevented others from taking vengeance against him for the murder of Abel.

Mar 28, 2016
Since it is God who gave Cain his distinctive mark, and God does not give people the desire or tendency to sin, this would be really stretching it. Cain's vengeful spirit came from Satan, but that Mark was actually to protect Cain from being slaughtered. We simply don't know what message was branded on Cain. But it prevented others from taking vengeance against him for the murder of Abel.
I think the message was mark my word I will carry it out . (no literal sign) Because the punishment is more than Cain could bear (no sabbath rest and promise of a future after life.).. Cain does not get to decide whether he would spend of life as a living hell or hope for quick justice. God follows through on his plan no one can stay his hand or move it. In that way as we are informed in Job 23 he is of one mind and always does whatsoever his soul pleases for he perform the things appointed to us working in us with us (Emanuel) Just as in like manner Philippians 2:12

You could say it comes from an act of mercy but Cain is not the recipient of it... its the people he... prevented from killing Cain.