Marks of Discipleship / AW Tozer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 23, 2021
AW Tozer is an author , who walked the walk . Rather than listening to what He has to say , which the Spirit of truth bears witness to and receiving it. Off we go trying to find out who he is . I am 73 in a few months, Tozer to my generation is one of many of those men of God whom the Lord provided for the church along with the likes of Charles Finney, Charles Spurgeon, Billy Sunday, DL Moody, Torrey, Andrew Murray. I honestly feel empathy for you guys , because I with many others who recognize works by Tozer , like "The pursuit of God'. He was along side the others I mentioned by in seventies during an outpouring of the Spirit and his works along side of theirs available in Christian bookstores. I suppose to receive the message one would have to be in somewhat of a relationship to the Holy Spirit to recognize that the Spirit Himself bears witness to the words of Tozer as with the others mentioned. He is talking about disciples and walking the walk. Follow Jesus, sound like a plan ?

Nov 23, 2021
Those ministries are given for the purpose of equiping the saints. That equiping is a synonim for discipling. It is the call of the ministers according to the directive given by Jesus to make disciples. Tozer makes discipleship the responsibility of the convert which is dead wrong. It is the responsibility of the ministers to make disciples.
First of all . There is nothing you can do once converted apart from Christ. The Holy Spirit will lead you and guide you . Christ will work within you to will and to do and soveirgnly direct your steps. Seeing Jesus on the right hand of God according to scriptures by faith and seeking to know Him and find out His will , Calling and plan for you has nothing to with a pastor in the sense you are saying as an absolute "it is the pastors job to disciple you." Wrong. It is your job to decide if you are going to love God and follow on to know the Lord to seek Him and His plan for you , your calling,your place in the Body of Christ , etc. No man can do this . Jesus said no man can come to me except they are drawn by my Father. You can't even go to Jesus , except you are drawn by His Spirit . The Apostle , the prophet , the evangleist , the PASTOR , the teacher . a.k.a. are equippers imparting spiritual gifts , and preparing the church and every member in particular for the work of their ministry , the ministry of reconciiiation which every born again believer receives whether they like it or not. It is not the Pastors job to disciple it is yours . You must position yourself to hear from God and cultivate your relationship with Jesus Christ. His will is that you would grow in the knowledge of Himself and His ways. He showed his acts to Israel He showed His ways to Moses. You need Jesus and a hunger for God and His Word. "You need not that anyman teach you ". 1 John 2:27

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
I do not believe you can ever learn the truth by asking someone for theirs.

Tozer's book "The Pursuit of Holiness" is short, too the point, and can even be read for free here:

http://www.thepursuitofgod.net/preface.html

Read it, then decide. It's the only way to escape the hog-wash!

Nov 23, 2021
This being reformation day, i cant help myself but make reference.
This scathing accusation is similar to the edict drawn up by Aleandro against Martin Luther when he came against the false teachings of Rome and particularly Pope Leo.
Of coarse Martin said show him his error by scripture. And thussly so do I.
What i see in scripture is Jesus; when turning His earthly ministry over to his disciples, giving a directive to make disciples. Not one passages that i know of suggests that anyone disciple themselves.
Even the pastoral epistles themselves are the Apostles discipling said pastors
"Oh that you would altogether hold your peace and that would be your wisdom". Job. Buddy, hate to say it but you need to stop your religious dialogue. Go directly to God by faith and surrender your whole soul , mind , body , spirit , feet , hands , life to Him.