Marriage by law

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lisa79

Is it possible to be married to another in God's eyes but not in the eyes of the government? And vice versa? " What God has joined let no man put usunder" Mark 10:9-19 ......if it parts and "Love never fails" 1Cor 13:8 .....if it parted was it joined by God? If it failed was it ever really Love? "Render unto Caesar what is Ceasar's. Render unto God what is God's" Mark 12:17 It seems that marriage by mans law is for taxation purposes.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Is it possible to be married to another in God's eyes but not in the eyes of the government? And vice versa? " What God has joined let no man put usunder" Mark 10:9-19 ......if it parts and "Love never fails" 1Cor 13:8 .....if it parted was it joined by God? If it failed was it ever really Love? "Render unto Caesar what is Ceasar's. Render unto God what is God's" Mark 12:17 It seems that marriage by mans law is for taxation purposes.
I believe that it is indeed possible, both ways. You are on the right track about the taxation purposes by the government, ultimately it is about control, in the eyes of God it is about love and freedom of expression.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Lisa79,

Whenever you post a question, you usually have an interesting point of view.

Why don't you give us your opinion on this?

Oct 31, 2011
Marriage is a deeply spiritual happening of two becoming one. It is not done in a court of secular law, but spiritually and the sex act is the sign of it being completed. However, it is also true that unless both parties are able to commit to each other in a secular legal way, one of them is almost certainly holding back on the spiritual happening. There is always a spiritual connection between the world God gives us to live in and the spiritual world of absolute truth.

1 Corinthians 13 is not talking about the marriage bond, but about agape love, a more universal love. When we try to add to what scripture means with our own thoughts, we can too easily distort the words of the Lord. We are told to accept the word as truth, all of it, without adding or taking away from it. There are plenty of instructions in scripture about the relationship that is Godly in the marriage relationship that we know is for that special bond between humans.

D

Delivery

Yes. you can be married in the eyes of God without being married in the eyes of man or man's government. In the bible, there's actually no such thing as premarital sex. because sex is marriage. In the bible you are considered married to the person once you have sex with him.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Same sex marriage may be in man's eyes but definitely not in God's.

May 15, 2013
Whatever God has joined together, no one is able to separate them, but God alone is able. There's been people trying to get out of an relationship, but find themselves going back to it for some odd reason; but no matter how hard they had tried to separate from this relationship, they still whine back up being together. Sometimes God put us in relationships so that we can learn from them, and most of the times, if the person that a person in a relationship with is an Adulterer, God had put them together for a reason, and sometimes it to show you how He feel and then you are able to explain to others with compassion (and which that is showing love for the One that you are speaking for) what they are doing to God.

Hosea 1:2 When the Lord began to speak through Hosea, the Lord said to him, “Go, marry a promiscuous woman and have children with her, for like an adulterous wife this land is guilty of unfaithfulness to the Lord.”

L

lisa79

I feel like the closer you get to God the more clearly the devil. You begin to understand that even he subject to God and only has the power he is allowed to have from God. I believe Christ gave us a clue to understanding this during round 3 of the temptation in the wildreness. He said "Get behind me Satan" to tell us if you truly walk with God (as a friend) you will have satan at your back. It tells me I need to give him something to witness. My God lives through me. If God is love and the devil wants to be God and he imitates God "roars LIKE a lion" then his most clever deception was not in making the workd believe he doesnt exist but that he IS God. He even knows Gods word in every way and in every language. He will talk about God but hates the nThe true evil of this world is in pretending to love and in breaking hearts because once he has done that his job is done and people take it from there. I believe that my hearts desire to see in the flesh the love I feel in my heart will guide me but that I can not do it alone.

L

lisa79

If I have made a wrong choice in marriage it was because I want to be obedient to God. I am to love my husband as I do Christ and I do but if me adding action to that by serving him is making him think that I am not his equal then I am no longer serving God with my marriage. What I do for my husband I do to add action to how I feel about Christ. If that love is not being returned now because it is being taken for granted and if my right hand keeps offending me I must ask....what if my right hand is my husband?

Dec 12, 2013
I would think so as what was it that consummated marriage in God's eyes????

Jun 4, 2014
True marriage has nothing to do with how we view it today. Marriage is a union of the flesh, which is the husband, and the spirit of that flesh, which was the wife given to everyone. What God has put together, let no man tear asunder.

That paper issued by your State is only for business purposes and taxation on what by law, is a merger of two corporations. That means that what that union produces (children) are then born property of that State.

L

lisa79

Excellent point!

Jun 4, 2014
Excellent point!
Malachi 2

11 Judah hath dealt treacherously, and an abomination is committed in Israel and in Jerusalem; for Judah hath profaned the holiness of the Lord which he loved, and hath married the daughter of a strange god.

12 The Lord will cut off the man that doeth this, the master and the scholar, out of the tabernacles of Jacob, and him that offereth an offering unto the Lord of hosts.

13 And this have ye done again, covering the altar of the Lord with tears, with weeping, and with crying out, insomuch that he regardeth not the offering any more, or receiveth it with good will at your hand.

14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the Lord hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.

15 And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

16 For the Lord, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the Lord of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

Jun 4, 2014
Let NONE deal treacherously with the wife of your youth. Let no man tear that marriage asunder!

M

MidniteWelder

True marriage has nothing to do with how we view it today. Marriage is a union of the flesh, which is the husband, and the spirit of that flesh, which was the wife given to everyone. What God has put together, let no man tear asunder.

That paper issued by your State is only for business purposes and taxation on what by law, is a merger of two corporations. That means that what that union produces (children) are then born property of that State.
This is true,
Which is the reason the State misleads one into agreeing to obtain a license in order to marry.
"Sign ones Rights away in order to agree to make it a privilege granted by the State."
By the states doing so we are coerced into signing our rights away by consenting to the state.

Then the state has been granted power over ones marriage and children.
Common law is actually a better way to go in this sense as Common law is the Law of the Land and our rights granted to us sovereign by our Creator whom we actually serve.
The state should not be given that authority over our sovereign rights.

Jun 4, 2014
This is true,
Which is the reason the State misleads one into agreeing to obtain a license in order to marry.
"Sign ones Rights away in order to agree to make it a privilege granted by the State."
By the states doing so we are coerced into signing our rights away by consenting to the state.

Then the state has been granted power over ones marriage and children.
Common law is actually a better way to go in this sense as Common law is the Law of the Land and our rights granted to us sovereign by our Creator whom we actually serve.
The state should not be given that authority over our sovereign rights.

I'm just trying to get people to see that the same reasoning applies to money as well. If you choose to accept it, you are then bound by its rules, with fines and imprisonment attached to it. It starts with your birth certificate and social security card. We simply need to give back to Caesar what is his.

May 15, 2013
If I have made a wrong choice in marriage it was because I want to be obedient to God. I am to love my husband as I do Christ and I do but if me adding action to that by serving him is making him think that I am not his equal then I am no longer serving God with my marriage. What I do for my husband I do to add action to how I feel about Christ. If that love is not being returned now because it is being taken for granted and if my right hand keeps offending me I must ask....what if my right hand is my husband?
For one thing you have learned how God feel about those that claims to be Him but aren't. But now you can relate what God has been going through and still is and how much love He has been giving to those that has been offensive to Him. There has been many of times God has been handing those that have had offended Him to the devil and his angels, but He had taken them back. God has been giving us many of chances and it is hard for Him to give us a divorcement, but if He does, His judgment is true and righteous.

Isaiah 29:13 The Lord says: “These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught.

Matthew 15:8 “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.

2 Samuel 24:16 When the angel stretched out his hand to destroy Jerusalem, the Lord relented concerning the disaster and said to the angel who was afflicting the people, “Enough! Withdraw your hand.” The angel of the Lord was then at the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.
(In those days, the people didn't know whom was the enemy, they had thought that any powerful beings were of God)

Matthew 18:34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
Yes. you can be married in the eyes of God without being married in the eyes of man or man's government. In the bible, there's actually no such thing as premarital sex. because sex is marriage. In the bible you are considered married to the person once you have sex with him.
Even so being possible in some places of the world , but being so that we are commanded by God to obey the governments and all the laws as long as they are just . But in all marriage in a court of Law is good and the law and are we to be law breakers by doing so we are disobeying God but to each his own , but Christ is full authority.

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
Since we live in a country that pertains that you marry through legal processing then we shall obey the local laws and living together without marriage is a sin and even though ye marry through a pastor if no legality is behind it it is not justified , we as ambassadors of Christ must serve as prime examples being representatives of the gospel in all fullness of..

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Asking this, would that include lust for another, in our minds where Christ says if a man has an eye for another in lust from his heart he has committed Adultery with her / him in their heart.
And in saying this said gouge out thy eye, better for part of you to go to heaven than all of you go to hell, and this was him walking this earth under Law and Prophets fulfilling them all, went to the cross for us and rose from the grave to give us new life in Spirit and truth, to learn to walk by the Spirit of truth only in love and Mercy as he did, to us all as we go here in this world, how are we to respond to each and every situation or learn to:
Matthew 10:15-20New International Version (NIV)[SUP]15 [/SUP]Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.
[SUP]16 [/SUP]“I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. [SUP]17 [/SUP]Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. [SUP]18 [/SUP]On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. [SUP]19 [/SUP]But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, [SUP]20 [/SUP]for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

Are we not to be Married to Christ to Father as one. read Romans 7, about that allegory to whom we are to be espoused to.