marriage with non-christian is matter in your country?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 8, 2019
Hi. I am a man from Korea. My family is all Christians.

I have a girlfriend that I would like to get married. But she is non-christian and does not want to go to church.
My mother is telling us if she does not go to church, this marriage cannot be accepted.
We have encountered a serious problem in marriage because of this religious problem.
Many Christian and non-Christian couples in Korea are having this problem like me.
I wonder if this is the case also for other countries. How do Christian and non-Christian couples get married in your countries?
Do they have the same problem like me?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
It's the case for ALL people. God tells us not to be unequally yoked with an unbeliever.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014

I have a girlfriend that I would like to get married. But she is non-christian and does not want to go to church.
My mother is telling us if she does not go to church, this marriage cannot be accepted.
We have encountered a serious problem in marriage because of this religious problem.
Many Christian and non-Christian couples in Korea are having this problem like me.
I wonder if this is the case also for other countries. How do Christian and non-Christian couples get married in your countries?
Well being of different religions is going to create a disagreement on some of the most basic things in life right at the heart of your marriage. The most harmonious option is that you're both so nominal about your faith that you get along just fine in your marriage, but your children and friends get the impression from you that religion is a non-essential hobby that's good if you need or like that kind of thing. Is that the view of faith you hold and want to pass on? And while it's hard, it's important to remember that when the words were written commanding believers to marry only other believers there were even fewer other believers around to choose from.

Differing religions is a serious problem when you're thinking about combining two lives together in marriage. It's a breeding ground for resentment in the relationship when your spouse and your faith are competing with each other for your time. The difficulty is inherent in the situation, but I would say the problem is more that people allow themselves to become emotionally attached to and in love with people who have a different faith, rather than that two people of different faiths stumble over the religion issue when they start talking about marriage. At this point, you ultimately have to make a choice: is your faith important enough that it's going to prevent your from marrying a woman who doesn't share that faith or is being married to a particular woman important enough that you're willing to build a partnership and life together with someone who opposes your faith?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Let's say you marry and have kids. What if your wife does not want to have the children raised as Christians? Are you going to cause problems by ignoring her and teaching them anyways? Or are you going to compromise your walk and give in to her? Either way you lose.
Or how will you handle it? Going on the unlikelihood that your marriage will last when you get older how will you feel living each day knowing the person you chose is going to hell?
And let's say you're able to raise your children Christian, how will you then explain to your children that you made a choice to marry a woman, their mother, who is bound for hell? How will you console your children about Your Choice?
Biblically the male is the spiritual head of the family. How will you take on this biblical role if your wife (and possibly kids) dont recognize that position for you, or even the spiritual beliefs you hold?
Do you find it using wisdom to tie yourself down to someone invested in the world?
What if, by not having a bible based moral code she decides to engage in worldly activities that are sinful?
Forget what other cultures and countries do. And trying to find the magic answer to make things work so you can feel justified in doing something you know, deep down, you shouldn't.
So many couples of mixed faith have struggles because it's a bad idea. Regardless of country and culture. You have proof all around you and you're purposefully ignoring that to do what you want. A complete and utter lack of wisdom, and to be quite honest, a good bit of selfishness.
Some may come in here saying it's acceptable and maybe a story of someone they know where it worked out. But most don't. You can place your future on the hope that maybe it might work out (though odds are against you) and risk spending the next 5, 10, 20 years in a bad marriage, or spare yourself wasting large chunks of your life.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
Give her a chance and wait for her to be equally yoked with you first. Otherwise, be firm and say goodbye. You are not being manipulative if you do that but being honest because it is important for a marriage.

M

Miri

Maybe the definition of a Christian needs exploring in this thread.

To be honest I cannot see that a genuine born again spirit filled Christian,
would even need to ask this question. If this question is being asked then
most probably the OP isn’t a Christian or they are very young in the faith and
haven’t really yet got a grasp of what a Christian is.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018

I dont thinks sinful but highly discouraged as Blue said Unequally yoked is a problem and I've had my own personal problems with it and suggest rethinking or at the very least taken it slower.