Mary Magdalene

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
In John 20:17 Why does Jesus say to Mary "Do not hold on to me" Is it because she is holding on to the human form of God? Many thanks 😊

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
In John 20:17 Why does Jesus say to Mary "Do not hold on to me" Is it because she is holding on to the human form of God? Many thanks 😊
John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Jesus did not allow Mary to touch him because he was the first fruits from the dead.

The wave offering of the first fruits…. in which the first fruits of the spring barley harvest we’re presented as an offering too God in the temple, was to occur that same day…. Jesus Christ would now replace that offering as the true first fruits from the dead.

Normally the priest presenting the offering would go to the temple to present it before the Lord….. Hence the meaning of the expression “I ascend to my father and to your father and to my God and to your God”. Christ would go up to… and as the highest priest present himself before God as the first fruits from the dead. It does not refer to the ascension to heaven which was still 40 days away.

In preparing to present himself as the first fruits, Christ would (in accordance with the Old Testament law) keep himself separated until it was accomplished.

The wave offering of the first fruits was a public offering…. meaning ….it was performed by the priests on behalf of the nation. Therefore, a priest would maintain a state of ceremonial purity before bringing the offering before the Lord at the temple. …Besides (himself) being the first fruits offering, Jesus was the priest making the offering. He was showing himself as the true high priest to Israel.

The scripture in John 20:17 reflects the first day of the week, (our Sunday) the day after the weekly Sabbath….. According to the Old Testament law …the first group wave offering was always done on the day after the weekly Sabbath during the feast of unleavened bread.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Jesus did not allow Mary to touch him because he was the first fruits from the dead.

The wave offering of the first fruits…. in which the first fruits of the spring barley harvest we’re presented as an offering too God in the temple, was to occur that same day…. Jesus Christ would now replace that offering as the true first fruits from the dead.

Normally the priest presenting the offering would go to the temple to present it before the Lord….. Hence the meaning of the expression “I ascend to my father and to your father and to my God and to your God”. Christ would go up to… and as the highest priest present himself before God as the first fruits from the dead. It does not refer to the ascension to heaven which was still 40 days away.

In preparing to present himself as the first fruits, Christ would (in accordance with the Old Testament law) keep himself separated until it was accomplished.

The wave offering of the first fruits was a public offering…. meaning ….it was performed by the priests on behalf of the nation. Therefore, a priest would maintain a state of ceremonial purity before bringing the offering before the Lord at the temple. …Besides (himself) being the first fruits offering, Jesus was the priest making the offering. He was showing himself as the true high priest to Israel.

The scripture in John 20:17 reflects the first day of the week, (our Sunday) the day after the weekly Sabbath….. According to the Old Testament law …the first group wave offering was always done on the day after the weekly Sabbath during the feast of unleavened bread.
Why did Jesus let Thomas touch him?

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
It appears to me that Ms. Magdalena jumped the gun.

I suggest she assumed the event described by Dan 7:13-14 & Phil 2:9-11
had already taken place. In other words: her posture was appropriate, but
not timely, i.e. it was too soon to be associating with Jesus as a divine being
because he had not yet undergone coronation: and wouldn't for another
forty days.

PS: I don't know about everybody else but if ever I'm called to meet with
the king of the Jews for a one-on-one; I will definitely take the knee and
avert my gaze until he tells me it's okay to stand up and look him in the eye
because Jesus the man makes me nervous enough, but Jehovah Jesus
makes me really nervous.
_

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
John 20:17
Berean Literal Bible
Jesus says to her, "Do not touch Me, for not yet have I ascended to the Father. Now go to My brothers and say to them, 'I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.'"

This word used in this scripture is not just a touch ----it is more of a clinging to ---

Strong's Concordance
haptomai: touch.
I fasten to; I lay hold of, adhere to, cling to

In John 20:17, μή μου ἅπτου is to be explained thus: Do not handle me to see whether I am still clothed with a body; there is no need of such an examination

I say
Maybe Mary just wanted Jesus to stay and so she was trying to fasten herself to him or cling to Him so He wouldn't leave again -----their relationship was about to change from the Physical to the Spiritual -----so she needed to let go of her reliance on the Physical Jesus and have Faith in the Spiritual Jesus which was to come -----So Jesus is telling her not to cling to or fasten herself to this Glorified body she sees as He will disappear again -----

With Thomas Jesus wanted to rebuke His unbelief of the resurrection and lack of Faith in Jesus Himself ----so He offered His body as real proof of His resurrection -----and then Thomas Believed ---

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
Berean Literal Bible
Jesus says to her, "Do not touch Me, for not yet have I ascended to the Father. Now go to My brothers and say to them, 'I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.'"

This word used in this scripture is not just a touch ----it is more of a clinging to ---

Strong's Concordance

In John 20:17, μή μου ἅπτου is to be explained thus: Do not handle me to see whether I am still clothed with a body; there is no need of such an examination

I say
Maybe Mary just wanted Jesus to stay and so she was trying to fasten herself to him or cling to Him so He wouldn't leave again -----their relationship was about to change from the Physical to the Spiritual -----so she needed to let go of her reliance on the Physical Jesus and have Faith in the Spiritual Jesus which was to come -----So Jesus is telling her not to cling to or fasten herself to this Glorified body she sees as He will disappear again -----

With Thomas Jesus wanted to rebuke His unbelief of the resurrection and lack of Faith in Jesus Himself ----so He offered His body as real proof of His resurrection -----and then Thomas Believed ---
This makes sense thanks 😊

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Jesus told Mary do t touch me “because I haven’t yet ascended to my father and God “

he told her also go tell
My brethren” i ascend to my father and your father my God and your God “

then later on after she told them Jesus returned to them after he had ascended to the father , now he I gives Thomas to touch him and look that’s when Thomas says of Jesus “ My Lord and My God and Jesus acknowledges that finally he believes ….

Jesus spoke to Mary before he ascended to God and to Thomas after he had ascended and been glorified

notice Jesus didn’t have any issue with being touched before he rose from the dead or after he told Mary “ go tell my brethren I ascend to your father and my father your God and my God “

It was only the moment after he rose before he ascended . I believe because Mary was the one who wouldn’t leave and was so broken he took a moment to give her joy before he ascended but couldnt be touched by flesh until ascended to his glory

I think someone’s explaination about the firstfruits in the thread is a good one as well makes sense anyways to me

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Ummmm....
Extreme emotion is in play here and a very rough translation.

If someone you loved came back in bodily form from the dead....don't you think that you might give them a hug and squeeze them tight such a long time to the point that they might think you were never going to let them go?

Yeah....something along those lines.

These aren't cardboard cut outs of people....very real people with real emotions, flaws, and quirks.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
Ummmm....
Extreme emotion is in play here and a very rough translation.

If someone you loved came back in bodily form from the dead....don't you think that you might give them a hug and squeeze them tight such a long time to the point that they might think you were never going to let them go?

Yeah....something along those lines.

These aren't cardboard cut outs of people....very real people with real emotions, flaws, and quirks.
I was asking why Jesus said to Mary don't hold on to me. I wasn't talking about what would I do or what would any or you do if a dead love one came back from the dead. Rather why did Jesus not want Mary to hold on to him.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
It’s really a beautiful scene Mary’s love for Jesus comes shining through and she actually becomes the very first person who’s called and annointed by Jesus to preach the good news of his resurrection to the church soon to be born of his spirit

“The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre. Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him. Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre. So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre. Then the disciples went away again unto their own home. But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre, and seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him. And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away. Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master. Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples ( the first messenger sent to the disciples by the risen lord ) that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.”
‭‭John‬ ‭20:1-4, 10-18‬ ‭KJV‬

marys true love for Jesus and her broken heart really has always shown in this to me it’s lovely the whole scene that unfolds she really was distraught over his body thinking someone took it away

i love how Jesus always takes time for individuals who need him in moments Mary here , the woman at the well , the woman who was to be stoned for adultery , Lazarus , the hound damsel , the blind and sick the woman with the issue of blood who touched him

jesus always took a moment with the person or Peter after his three denials he takes him off and asked him three times if he loves him to reconcile the denials knowing Peter needed it having such bitter repentance after he denied him

jesus is personal to all of us and meets us in our own unique situations and he cares and always is there as he claims to be

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020

That was eight days later.

Jhn 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

Jhn 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Berean Literal Bible

Strong's Concordance

I say

very good points..

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
There is no record of Thomas actually touching Jesus as he claimed he would have to and as Jesus invited him to. In
fact, the record leans the other way, for Jesus told Thomas,
“Because you have seen Me, you have believed." (John 20:29)

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
It’s really a beautiful scene Mary’s love for Jesus comes shining through and she actually becomes the very first person who’s called and annointed by Jesus to preach the good news of his resurrection to the church soon to be born of his spirit

“The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre. Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him. Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre. So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre. Then the disciples went away again unto their own home. But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre, and seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him. And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away. Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master. Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples ( the first messenger sent to the disciples by the risen lord ) that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.”
‭‭John‬ ‭20:1-4, 10-18‬ ‭KJV‬

marys true love for Jesus and her broken heart really has always shown in this to me it’s lovely the whole scene that unfolds she really was distraught over his body thinking someone took it away

i love how Jesus always takes time for individuals who need him in moments Mary here , the woman at the well , the woman who was to be stoned for adultery , Lazarus , the hound damsel , the blind and sick the woman with the issue of blood who touched him

jesus always took a moment with the person or Peter after his three denials he takes him off and asked him three times if he loves him to reconcile the denials knowing Peter needed it having such bitter repentance after he denied him

jesus is personal to all of us and meets us in our own unique situations and he cares and always is there as he claims to be
You are right it is a very beautiful scene between Jesus and Mary. The love Mary had for Jesus was great but the love Jesus had for Mary was amazing. In that moment that Jesus refilled himself alive to Mary all her grief was gone. Once more for me I see Jesus mending all Mary's brokenness again 🥰

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
There is no record of Thomas actually touching Jesus as he claimed he would have to and as Jesus invited him to. In
"Now Thomas, one of the Twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe." Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you."

"Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe." Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." (John 20:24-29)

I think there was contact between Thomas and Jesus.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023

Have you ever considered associating Zec. 3 to this ascension of Jesus as the firstfruits?

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
I was asking why Jesus said to Mary don't hold on to me. I wasn't talking about what would I do or what would any or you do if a dead love one came back from the dead. Rather why did Jesus not want Mary to hold on to him.
Paul said that he once knew Christ according to the flesh but did so no longer. Jesus said it is better for us to trust in His resurrected presence without having his physical body as evidence of his delivering presence.. Mary had been delivered by Jesus from seven demons. So, it's possible that Jesus was trying to wean her off having to have the physical Jesus present with her to feel safe from repossession by demons

However the reason Jesus gives is FOR I have not yet ascended....

I think Jesus was expecting to be caught up into heaven to present himself the Father as the firstfruits from the dead at any moment, and perhaps did not want her dragged along with him into heaven. Or Zec. 3 is a vision of this firstfruits offering, and Jesus was still imputed with our sins and not yet glorified, and he was not yet in a position to provide Mary with the protection she craved; not until he was glorified with the glory he had had with the Father before the world was, which he would receive after ascending as the firstfruits, according to Zec. 3.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
However, the women on their way to Peter to report Jesus resurrection did hold on to Jesus feet. So something changed between Jesus meeting Mary Magdalene and Jesus meeting the other women.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I think there was contact between Thomas and Jesus.
There is no record of it in the text. The record goes straight from Jesus inviting Thomas to do what
he said he would, to Thomas making one of the greatest confessions of faith in the gospels.