May I have this dance (poetry)

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rosyshine

Senior Member
Feb 26, 2017
122
15
18
"May I have this dance?" He asked, with love filling His eyes.
"I'd like to dance this dance with you and never leave your side."
"Oh, gracious King, my Lord," I said. "For what have I caught Your eye? I'm just a girl in pauper's shoes, and my heart is scared to try."
"My lamb, have you forgotten that I am a gracious King? When I brought you to My Kingdom, I gave you all new things. Your clothes are white as cotton now - no more stains or tears. I washed the dirt of the world from you and cast away your cares. I adorned your hair with gilded flowers. On your head I placed a crown. And on your feet are princess shoes, which peek from beneath your spotless white gown.
Now, precious child, let's delay no more. The song has already begun. There are many songs that await us, and many dances are yet to be done."
I smiled and placed my hand in His and began to take a step. Yet within my heart I felt that, somehow, doubt had slowly crept.
"But everyone is watching, Lord, and I'm afraid I have two left feet. I'm afraid I'll take a tumble, and You'll regret having chosen me."
Expecting Him to give up on me, I slowly looked up at His face. But instead of seeing disappointment, I saw compassion in its place.
"I know your fears and failures," He said. "All your doubts and sins. Yet more, my love, I know each dance, how each shall end and begin. There will be difficulty. Some steps are very hard. There will be times you'll trip and fall, but you'll fall into My arms.
Some dances you will master. Some you will enjoy, like the waltz of ease, the tango of love and the swing of unexpected joy.
But I've created every dance, and I'll be with you every step. Though at times you'll twirl at a distance, I'll know your every breath.
So, child, the floor is ours. The music has begun. Don't think about your fears, My love. Think on what I've already done."
I smiled and nodded gently, as joy rose within my chest.
"May I have this dance," He asked again.
And I answered, softly, "Yes."

----
Note: I wrote this as I was thinking about how it can be hard at times for some ladies (including myself) to believe that they're precious to God, and to trust Him and step out into the plans He has for them.