Media failing us again, sensationalizing Covid-19

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

EleventhHour

My original question was asking if other flu viruses replicate the virus using host cells, not about immunity or antibodies. Is that what your "yes" answer addressed?
Yes that is what understood.
Cold viruses do as well

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Will Sweden give us data that tells us how many infected survive that did have underlying health issues?
I don't know....I'm pretty much ignoring case figures because testing for the virus is all over the map....just within Canada the province of Quebec is testing lots more people than in my province of Ontario.....more tests means more mild and asymptomatic cases revealed. In Sweden it was only 6 or 7 days ago that they started talking about the need to test front line health care workers.

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
My original question was asking if other flu viruses replicate the virus using host cells, not about immunity or antibodies. Is that what your "yes" answer addressed?
I'm not an expert on infectious viral diseases, I don't know.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yes that is what understood.
Cold viruses do as well
Okay, and thank you. My daughter called and had some information on this matter for me as well, saying it is influenza "A" strains that hijack host cells. I also just found this:

The influenza virus sticks to the cells lining the respiratory tract by means of a special protein called hemagglutinin. On contact with the cells, the virus is drawn into the cell and sheds its coat. The viral genetic material (RNA) enters the nucleus of the host cell, and initiates the replication of viral RNA and production of enzymes that hijack the mechanisms of the cell to produce other viral components. These viral components include enzymes which further the viral domination of the cell.

The produced viral components including genetic materials, enzymes and cell wall components are assembled close to the cell membrane into infective units. These are released from the cell, leaving the cell intact, or released as the cell dies from viral activity and bursts. Maturation of the infective units takes place as they leave the cell or later as they float around in extracellular fluid.

Large numbers of the virus are produced even before widespread destruction of the cells of the respiratory tract. Thus, the infected individual can spread the virus even before he actually feels sick. Typically, the infected person can spread the infection from one day before, to five to seven days after the onset of symptoms. source

That is relative to other flu viruses. My daughter said something about this virus (Covid-19) not being drawn into the nucleus of the host cell. I find knowing how these things function from a purely scientific standpoint fascinating.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
yeah and this exact mentality is one of the virus continues to spread like wildfire because people down playing the threat

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
yeah and this exact mentality is one of the virus continues to spread like wildfire because people down playing the threat
The virus is a threat, its real....same as the flu is a threat to cancer patients every year....anyone who has undergone chemo knows all about the measures being taken everywhere, cancer patients during flu season live with this as reality every year...avoid large crowds, keep your distance, wash your hands frequently....because an immune system fighting cancer and possibly undergoing chemo may not have the ability to fight off the flu virus strains that circulate.

So coronavirus is a threat.....but how big?

Is this the biggest threat we've ever faced? With the way its being reported one would naturally think it is....that it is the biggest threat that the world has maybe ever faced.

The flu is also a threat, one that can and does kill over 60,000 Americans some years.
Driving is a threat, one that kills roughly 38,000 Americans every year with 4.4 million more needing medical attention.
Cancer is a threat, it kills over 600,000 Americans every year.....

Threats are all around us....and based on those threats we can make choices. One might decide to get the flu shot, and to avoid social contact during flu season. One might decide to restrict driving to only those trips that are absolutely essential....cancer is a threat, and there are lifestyle choices one can make to reduce the risk.

What can one do to limit the risk of contracting coronavirus? The only really effective way to eliminate it is to become a hermit imo. Amazon has fulfillment centers working with 100s, probably thousands of employees, they're taking transit, going shopping....to the gas station and pharmacy. In an earlier post I mentioned retirement homes...with doctors, nurses, psws, cleaners, cooks, technicians.

There's lots of people staying home from work now....but not all....there are literally armies of people still out and about. And if coronavirus is as contagious easily transmittable as we're told (and I believe it is) then there's precious little we can do to stop it in my opinion.

That's just reality as I see it.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Kenneth Copeland is the textbook definition of bat poop crazy
And I'm not going to say the entire charismatic movement is bad but you see a lot of such charlatans in the charismatic movement

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Kenneth Copeland is the textbook definition of bat poop crazy
And I'm not going to say the entire charismatic movement is bad but you see a lot of such charlatans in the charismatic movement
Guys like Copeland were the reason why, for a number of years, I was reluctant to proclaim myself a Christian....I didn't want to be lumped in with those who follow his preaching, now I don't worry about it. But it does bother me...

If someone starts selling a miracle oil or something, saying that it will protect you from the coronavirus, they could be charged with fraud and fined....maybe even imprisoned. Why would a Christian fear coronavirus in any case? Jesus' own disciples were stoned and crucified themselves....confident in the knowledge that they'd received full pardon for all their sins and would be received in heaven by the King of kings and LORD of lords.

I don't fear death, I'm not anxious for it, I won't embrace it....but I know its coming. I know I can do nothing to extend my earthly life, all I can do is wash myself in the blood of the Lamb so that I'm ready for the next and eternal life. That's why I have a lot of empathy for those who wish to gather in worship right now...for Americans exercising their rights under the 1st Amendement to their Constitution.

My church isn't gathering during this time, and I miss it. If another church does open before mine does, I might just go to it....

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
My church isn't gathering during this time, and I miss it. If another church does open before mine does, I might just go to it....
Many churches have moved to meeting online at this time. Has yours not considered it, or... ?

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Many churches have moved to meeting online at this time. Has yours not considered it, or... ?
That's what's been done....I gave my testimony on Palm Sunday, and it was broadcast via streaming....I went to the church the Wednesday prior, there was a guy doing the technical stuff, my Pastor and myself....and we kept our distance, even measured it off so as to not accidently encroach.....there are members of my church who are very worried and who would be mortified if we so much as did an elbow bump.

But its not the same....the place doesn't matter, its the solemnity, joining in song....hearing the sermon and seeing it being delivered live. There are times (not often enough) when I suddenly feel I don't exist, when I am wrapped in joy, awe and wonder....and as soon as I become concious of it, its gone. Nothing close happens watching my TV.

Jul 23, 2018
I could simply use the phrase "certain ignorant persons" believe this or that..and let you guys sort them out into different camps between Pentecostals, charismatics and Word of Faith people...

A great theologian used that wording in some of his diatribes toward Anabaptists. I suppose that would work..
No,that antichrist spirit controlling you has all full gospel believers falsely depicted as Copeland followers.

So you will never get it right.

You basically are not allowed to get it right.

Jul 23, 2018
Go ahead. I don't attend a Baptist church, although I am like a Reformed Baptist in my theology.

Westboro Baptist Church was formerly a Southern Baptist Convention church. They pretty much allow about anything. And Westboro is basically a rogue family outfit. Everyone knows that.
Oh no,no,no.

You OWN it.
I will invoke your template. Lets put that same garbage can on you.
YOU DEFINITELY ADHERE TO AND WORSHIP ALONGSIDE WESTBOROUGH BAPTISTS.EVERY FALSE SPEW FROM THEIR MOUTH IS EXACTLY LIKE IT CAME FROM YOU.
WEAR IT PROUDLY.

Jul 23, 2018
As I understand it all but John were martyred. And we don't know how they died but we just hear they were killed.
Lastly, Copeland is Satanic. And employs witchcraft in his sermonizing. You need to get a memo if you think we're in charge and God left all to us.
As to your question about Jesus, are you a false Christian?
I do not follow copeland or listen to him.

But you will be judged for calling him satanic.
You definitely will need to pray for crop failure.
Your paycheck,when it comes ,will be bitter...very bitter.

See, i made your same mistake when my wife was a follower of Hagin. I opposed him and could not stand the man.
When all hell broke lose,I looked to heaven.
It was revealed I had no real faith. And i saw what happened.
Your faith will be dwarfed,by attacking the man of faith.
You mark my words.

Read as a prelude,what david did to anyone not honoring saul. A wicked Godless king but was anointed by God FOR AN OFFICE.
David Knew.
David did what was right.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have a resident in my street who comes from Wuhan and has family and loved ones here. I can share with you a vid on what its like there if anyone wants to see.

Its really sad what happened there and people are still dealing with it. we need to be praying not condemning ppl. Dont worry there is english translation for those of you who have no clue how to speak or read chinese

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
I do not follow copeland or listen to him.

But you will be judged for calling him satanic.
You definitely will need to pray for crop failure.
Your paycheck,when it comes ,will be bitter...very bitter.

See, i made your same mistake when my wife was a follower of Hagin. I opposed him and could not stand the man.
When all hell broke lose,I looked to heaven.
It was revealed I had no real faith. And i saw what happened.
Your faith will be dwarfed,by attacking the man of faith.
You mark my words.

Read as a prelude,what david did to anyone not honoring saul. A wicked Godless king but was anointed by God FOR AN OFFICE.
David Knew.
David did what was right.
:ROFL: Copeland will answer to God for his satanic witchcraft sermonizing. I don't respect Hagin either.

Jul 23, 2018
:ROFL: Copeland will answer to God for his satanic witchcraft sermonizing. I don't respect Hagin either.
You know,your deal is impossible.
You can believe what you want,right or wrong.
But Jesus destroyed your deal.
When accused of ,like you say operating under the power of the devil,he told them their little deal was impossible. "how can satan cast out satan.
But since you are obsessed with wild inaccurate blathering,you have kinda blinded yourself in the process.
But regardless of any sane observations of Jesus words,you will not hear anyhing but" burn the barn to kill the squirrels"