Mega Churches - Opinions?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

Oblio

Perhaps a team of various ministers could assist the congregation in the development of their gifting.

TNMustang

Jan 21, 2022
Christ's church is a megachurch, and according to his final command, the more mega, the better.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Christ's church is a megachurch, and according to his final command, the more mega, the better.
The global body of Christ isn't the same thing as a "megachurch." I've heard this argument before, usually from people who want to justify the megachurch they attend.

The body of Christ shouldn't be confused with the "megachurch." The body of Christ has no building other than the members themselves; the megachurch does, and it requires a lot of tithers to sustain it.

Odelschwanck

Jan 7, 2015
I'd say they aren't my thing - but now that I think of it, I've never been to one. Still probably aren't my thing. There's supposed to be a community aspect to church, right?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
OP mentioned mega churches that have restaurants I cant recall any that Ive been to that actually had a restaurant open for fine dining.

I know some have kitchens and do community meals and some have cafe type seating but I wouldnt call them restaurants....

I know a Bible college had a cafe. If one did have a restaurant I would wonder if it had a Jesus theme menu..like would it have loaves and fishes for free or something.

wiki states this...havent really seen any in my area https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafe_church

R

RichMan

I'm speaking of my experience. YMMV
When it comes to the total of all churches and pastors, your experience is limited just as all of us so we should never judge all by that limited experience.

R

RichMan

Many of us have come to the conclusion that it's highly unlikely Jesus would have set apart men to act as pastors in a sect, this would go against His own want and prayer. Whereas some individuals in said groups may have been called and chosen of God, and He may have left them there for a while to wise them up, He won't leave them there forever. Those pastors are a product of their denominational system, not of God. "Therefore come out from their midst and be separate," says the Lord," and do not touch what is unclean, and I will welcome you."
See post #127

C

ChristianTonyB

Well, if you can point out a person that is calling themselves a pastor or the like, that is truly godly in behaviour, I might believe you. But I certainly haven't come across one in my nearly 40 years of being a Christian, and I've searched far and wide for them. It seems like there are many others here on CC that have had the same experience!

KarynLouise

Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
OP mentioned mega churches that have restaurants I cant recall any that Ive been to that actually had a restaurant open for fine dining.

I know some have kitchens and do community meals and some have cafe type seating but I wouldnt call them restaurants....

I know a Bible college had a cafe. If one did have a restaurant I would wonder if it had a Jesus theme menu..like would it have loaves and fishes for free or something.

wiki states this...havent really seen any in my area https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafe_church
I've seen coffee shops in large churches.

R

RichMan

Well, if you can point out a person that is calling themselves a pastor or the like, that is truly godly in behaviour, I might believe you. But I certainly haven't come across one in my nearly 40 years of being a Christian, and I've searched far and wide for them. It seems like there are many others here on CC that have had the same experience!
Just because you have not come across anyone that meets your standards does not mean they are all ungodly.
As I stated, our access to all is very limited and we should not judge all by the limited number we have come across.
I will not judge all when I have not met all.

C

ChristianTonyB

Just because you have not come across anyone that meets your standards does not mean they are all ungodly.
As I stated, our access to all is very limited and we should not judge all by the limited number we have come across.
I will not judge all when I have not met all.
... so, you have not met one either then?

R

RichMan

... so, you have not met one either then?
During my 60 plus years of serving my Lord, I have met good and bad pastors, good and bad churches.
There are those I know today that I will fellowship with, and those I will not.
I do not use the fact that some pastors and churches are not perfect as an excuse to condemn all and refuse to assemble with, fellowship with, and worship with, as many of you people do.

Why not just admit that you believe you are to holy to assemble with us sinners saved by grace?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
When it comes to the total of all churches and pastors, your experience is limited just as all of us so we should never judge all by that limited experience.
I've visited a bunch of them all over America and around the world.

So I'm going to say my experience has been more than most people's experience.

R

RichMan

I've visited a bunch of them all over America and around the world.

So I'm going to say my experience has been more than most people's experience.
And?

C

ChristianTonyB

During my 60 plus years of serving my Lord, I have met good and bad pastors, good and bad churches.
There are those I know today that I will fellowship with, and those I will not.
I do not use the fact that some pastors and churches are not perfect as an excuse to condemn all and refuse to assemble with, fellowship with, and worship with, as many of you people do.

Why not just admit that you believe you are to holy to assemble with us sinners saved by grace?
You say you have served the Lord, but have you! Where has your loyalty really been, and to who? To men and their traditions, to your own ego, to your own want? I did issue a specific generality, to give space for comment, but let me be more specific to yourself. If your pastors that you refer to are a product of a denomination or the like, and serve their institutions and their peculiar traditions, then it is not possible for them to be serving God. Hence my comment, "they are ungodly".

R

RichMan

You say you have served the Lord, but have you! Where has your loyalty really been, and to who? To men and their traditions, to your own ego, to your own want? I did issue a specific generality, to give space for comment, but let me be more specific to yourself. If your pastors that you refer to are a product of a denomination or the like, and serve their institutions and their peculiar traditions, then it is not possible for them to be serving God. Hence my comment, "they are ungodly".
So here we are. You see yourself as someone more holy and righteous than the rest of us.
You have decided to defy the command to assemble and have come up with an excuse to justify your actions by judging and condemning people and churches you know nothing about.
I will not waste anymore time on such stupid people.

S

SophieT

Becky asked for opinions

not public stonings

Becky has not been here since Dec. 30th

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well the biggest church in my area (not sure if qualifies as a 'mega church, ' but its the biggest one I know) is in mourning as one of their youth pastors got killed in an accident where the church roller doors fell on her.

This happened at a youth service. Im not kidding. About 2 weeks ago.

The bracket came loose and crushed her. This church had several auditoriums, a huge carpark, a cafe area, and was behind a shopping complex.

Worksafe and the police are investigating the incident...but church members never expected their youth leader to go to heaven quite so soon.