Melchizedek

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

flight316

Other than being the king of Salem, who and what is Melchizedek in relation to God and Jesus Christ?

Sep 7, 2012
There is not enough information in scripture to know who this figure is and anyone who says otherwise is just guessing.

Shilo

Aug 31, 2011
He is Jesus / Yeshua the Messiah

Genesis 14:18-20
And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. (He was priest of God Most High.) And he blessed him and said, “Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!” And Abram gave him a tenth of everything

Hebrews 5 For every high priest taken from among men is appointed for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins. 2 He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness. 3 Because of this he is required as for the people, so also for himself, to offer sacrifices for sins. 4 And no man takes this honor to himself, but he who is called by God, just as Aaron was.5 So also Christ did not glorify Himself to become High Priest, but it was He who said to Him: “You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.” 6 As He also says in another place:
“You are a priest forever According to the order of Melchizedek”; 7 who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear, 8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. 9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him, 10 called by God as High Priest “according to the order of Melchizedek

Hebrews 7 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2 to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all, first being translated “king of righteousness,” and then also king of Salem, meaning “king of peace,” 3 without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, remains a priest continually.
4 Now consider how great this man was, to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils. 5 And indeed those who are of the sons of Levi, who receive the priesthood, have a commandment to receive tithes from the people according to the law, that is, from their brethren, though they have come from the loins of Abraham; 6 but he whose genealogy is not derived from them received tithes from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. 7 Now beyond all contradiction the lesser is blessed by the better. 8 Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives. 9 Even Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak, 10 for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him.11 Therefore, if perfection were through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need was there that another priest should rise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be called according to the order of Aaron? 12 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. 13 For He of whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no man has officiated at the altar.
14 For it is evident that our Lord arose from Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood.[a] 15 And it is yet far more evident if, in the likeness of Melchizedek, there arises another priest 16 who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless life. 17 For He testifies:
“You are a priest forever According to the order of Melchizedek.” 18 For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, 19 for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.20 And inasmuch as He was not made priest without an oath 21 (for they have become priests without an oath, but He with an oath by Him who said to Him:

“The Lord has swornAnd will not relent,‘You are a priest forever According to the order of Melchizedek’”),

22 by so much more Jesus has become a surety of a better covenant. 23 Also there were many priests, because they were prevented by death from continuing. 24 But He, because He continues forever, has an unchangeable priesthood. 25 Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. 26 For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens; 27 who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people’s, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself. 28 For the law appoints as high priests men who have weakness, but the word of the oath, which came after the law, appoints the Son who has been perfected forever
Psalm 110:1-7

A Psalm of David. The Lord says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.” The Lord sends forth from Zion your mighty scepter. Rule in the midst of your enemies! Your people will offer themselves freely on the day of your power, in holy garments; from the womb of the morning, the dew of your youth will be yours. The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind, “You are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.” The Lord is at your right hand; he will shatter kings on the day of his wrath.

Jul 12, 2012
He is Jesus / Yeshua the Messiah
Pretty much all there is to it.

Melchizedek, king of Salem.
a.k.a.
Righteous King, king of Peace.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Other than being the king of Salem, who and what is Melchizedek in relation to God and Jesus Christ?
The name translates King of Righteousnous King of Peace. He has no known beginning, and He is a priest to the Most High God, Yahweh. This order, His order, is an everlasting order. This gives me a very good idea Who it is, however, because it is not declared outright anywhere in the Word, this will remain a slight mystery for until the Day when Yahweh, God, reveals all. He is so good, amen.

N

nathan3

Melchizedek is Christ. was Christ in the old testament .

jb

Feb 27, 2010
For those interested, in This study (Jesus Prays For His Own), from Page 148 onwards, you can find a section on Melchizedek (Gen 14v18-24), there are also references to the Lord Jesus as our Great High Priest after the Order of Melchizedek throughout the study...

Yahweh Shalom

Apr 6, 2012
The first human king noted in the Bible as being righteous was Melchizedek, king-priest of Salem. Aside from Jesus Christ, who is King and High Priest combined, Melchizedek is the only God-approved ruler to have held both offices.(Genesis 14:18) Melchizedek’s nationality, genealogy, and offspring are left undisclosed in the Scriptures, and that with good reason, for he could thus typify Jesus Christ, who by Jehovah’s sworn oath “has become a high priest according to the manner of Melchizedek forever.”-Hebrews 5:10; 6:20; 7:1-3.

In a notable Messianic prophecy the sworn oath of Jehovah to David’s “Lord” is: “You are a priest to time indefinite according to the manner of Melchizedek!” (Psalms 110:1, 4) This inspired psalm gave the Hebrews reason to regard the promised Messiah as the one in whom the office of priest and king would be combined.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The first human king noted in the Bible as being righteous was Melchizedek, king-priest of Salem. Aside from Jesus Christ, who is King and High Priest combined, Melchizedek is the only God-approved ruler to have held both offices.(Genesis 14:18) Melchizedek’s nationality, genealogy, and offspring are left undisclosed in the Scriptures, and that with good reason, for he could thus typify Jesus Christ, who by Jehovah’s sworn oath “has become a high priest according to the manner of Melchizedek forever.”-Hebrews 5:10; 6:20; 7:1-3.

In a notable Messianic prophecy the sworn oath of Jehovah to David’s “Lord” is: “You are a priest to time indefinite according to the manner of Melchizedek!” (Psalms 110:1, 4) This inspired psalm gave the Hebrews reason to regard the promised Messiah as the one in whom the office of priest and king would be combined.
What about Abram who left his country and his people when he believe Yahweh, God. Of course we all know King Mechizedek has no beginning? Let me know please.......

F

feedm3

Melchizedek is Christ. was Christ in the old testament .
Interesting. I have always thought of Him being a type of Christ, and Jesus the anti-type, but never Christ himself.

I

iamcricket

Through my lens= Messiah Yeshu'ah, being both savior and priest, allows me a knowing that the 10th (tithe) is Avram's way of saying to YHWH (IAM IAM) "Thanks;" thus, my tithe is given prior to Torah, my tithe is given as my own "Thanks to YHWH," and in honor of YHWH giving Avraham the position of "Friend."

Melchizedek becomes an important interface between what we are given and what we do with what we are given. My Love is the Joy felt by Avraham (Abraham) as he approached the Priest and my pleasure is being able to tithe w/o needing Torah to do so. Gen 15: and Gen 17:5 interfaced w/ Heb 5:6

L

Laodicea

Melchizedek was both king and priest a type of Christ who is also both king and priest