Memory loss, saved or not

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I don't think you really understand the depth of the question.
I do not understand the reason for the question. These matters belong to God not to man. From scripture I would declare that once saved forever saved. Gods memory was not effected by the accident.

What troubles me is when we have people asking questions that engender strife and differences of opinion. Like asking the question how many angels can dance on the head of a pin or can God create a rock so heavy that even He cannot lift it.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
We could always bring out the big guns and dig as deep as you want.

1571244761610.png

G

Godsgirl83

Now I have the lyrics to a song called "DEEPER" by (christian band ) DELIRIOUS stuck in my head.......
Opening line:
"I wanna go deeper........."

Oct 13, 2019
WELL...........
since we're talking hypothetical scenarios here.........

Hypothetically speaking:
I'm going to join a forum site as a new member.
I won't introduce myself or start interacting with anyone on the site that's been there for a while.
I will however (in my hypothetical story here) open a new thread with hypothetical scenarios, and stay primarily ONLY in that thread.
I'm hoping someone will give the answer that I want so I can say "see I've proved MY point"
and if they don't, I'll just brush them aside and keep pushing until someone does.
SO,
Hypothetically speaking here,
CC friends and family.........
how would you view me (hypothetically speaking of course ;) )
Those are your guidelines for a new member, not mine and many others.
You can't answer my question, and you don't like that your answer isn't taken as sufficient.
If I didn't have an answer, or someone refused to accept my answer, I wouldn't hang around trying to prove MY point with weak attempts at derision.
Defensive Christians when faith is tested, I get it, don't worry.

G

Godsgirl83

You can't answer my question, and you don't like that your answer isn't taken as sufficient.
If I didn't have an answer, or someone refused to accept my answer, I wouldn't hang around trying to prove MY point with weak attempts at derision.
Not guidlines......
observations......
and you are NOT the first to do this....

Now then........
I can be pretty sure I'm not the only one wondering this, so I'll go ahead and ask it:
How do YOU answer this?

Oct 13, 2019
Not guidlines......
observations......
and you are NOT the first to do this....

Now then........
I can be pretty sure I'm not the only one wondering this, so I'll go ahead and ask it:
How do YOU answer this?
I don't ask questions I know the answer to.

G

Godsgirl83

fair enough......
so what are your thoughts on it?

Oct 13, 2019
fair enough......
so what are your thoughts on it?
When answering difficult questions, I like to exaggerate them for a broader perspective.
If someone is a true Christian, loses their memory completely, then becomes a Satanist. I could imagine they would lose their salvation.
God won't save half of their spirit.
I can imagine God making exceptions for certain circumstances, like disabilities and birth defects.
But if someone loses their memory, which includes faith. They are still alive and capable of making a decision to come back to God.
I doubt God would let a Satanist into heaven, who's been in sin for 70 years, only because they were faithful and 'saved' for 1 year.

As for multiple personality disorder, I can assume God knows their true personality, and will excuse the others.

Dec 12, 2013
God is omniscient. He knows everything! So, he would know that this person was going to lose his memory in a year. And certainly, if his heart is quickened this man will turn to Christ, long before he turns 90. Simply because the Holy Spirit would make it happened.

But, your whole question is utter nonsense! Following Jesus is not just head knowledge, but a heart that is changed. Memory loss cannot change the state of one's heart!

"2 You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone, 3 revealing that you are a letter of Christ, delivered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on stone tablets but on tablets of human hearts." 2 Cor 3:2-4

26 I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit within you. I will remove the heart of stone from your body and give you a heart of flesh." Ez. 36:26

"So then, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; what is old has passed away—look, what is new has come!" 2 Cor 5:17

This is the real gospel! If God has changed his heart and made him into a new creation, then a lack of knowledge will not be a stumbling block.
amen....saved is saved is saved is saved is saved is saved is saved..........

Jul 23, 2018
It is a forum.
Opinions is what most discussions are based on.
Since it is hypothetical, most any opinion is valid in their minds.

I understand your concerns in memory loss. We become born again by an inward work and the finished work of Jesus.
But our minds need renewing. Our minds need to conform to Gods word and testimony.
It is near impossible to serv God without a mind.
So i see your concern.
But salvation would be sustained ,even though the mind is damaged.
My focus would be on that persons healing/restoration.
When Jesus shows up things change.
Healing is the childrens bread. When moses lifted up the serpent on the pole,ALL WERE HEALED that looked on it.
The pole pointed to the cross with the serpent being a type of Jesus(pointing to healing being a part of our covenant)

I would declare that person's pedigree.saved,healed,delivered,and restored . we are family. Family of God,and have a right to our fathers stores(healing...devine heath...it is our portion).
Thank you Jesus for obtaining our healing on the cross !!!!
Brain injury has no authority. It must yield to the king.
So make it yield.
Make it go.

Jul 23, 2018
I love this song. Deep cries out to deep

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
Hypothetical:

A person, 19 years old, comes to Jesus with an incredibly strong unshakable faith, fully dedicating their lives to Him.
Shortly after they are in a car accident and lose their memory from the past year.
They live a full life and pass away at age 90.

1 year of their life was lived as a true Christian.
70 years was lived without any faith or desire to come to Jesus.

Is this person saved?
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, ... or peril, ... ? Romans 8:35 (KJV)

Once a person is saved, they're saved for eternity.

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38-39 (KJV)

Jun 10, 2019
you are not your memory. i can prove it.

name all the people in your 1st grade class! go!

can't?

that doesn't mean you never went to 1st grade.
I can’t remember going to the first grade more less naming people, hahaha

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
There are some who lose all memory with a full personality change.
This includes some who were once nice loving people, turned to anger filled psycho's.
Heart in biblical terms is referring to the intentional mind, which is affected in some accidents.
Throughout the Bible, the heart actually refers to a person's spirit, not their mind.

1 Chronicles 28:9 — “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever."

Its an important distinction.

What's more important is:
-Our understanding of eternal security.
John 10:27–28 — “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand."

-God knows our heart even if we don't 1Kings 8:26; Proverbs 15:11; 1John 3:20
-Sheep wander and get lost, but our Shepherd will not lose any of us, not even one. John 18:8-9; Ezekiel 34:11-35
-If you are a believer, your name was written in the book of life before the foundation of the world. Revelation 13:8; Luke 20:10; Psalm 139:16
There is no instance in the Bible where God has erased a name from the Lamb's book of life. If your name is in there, its because God knew you would freely chose Him, so He wrote your name in there before you were born, then drew you to Himself because He knew you would chose Him when the opportunity came.

We are not holding on to God, He is holding on to us, guaranteeing our inheritance and salvation 1Peter 1:3-5

M

Miri

Absolutely God can being someone with memory loss to him, my aunt is living proof of that. God is above everything even memory loss!

She has dementia, heart failure, chronic kidney disease, end of life COPD.She became a born again Christian many years ago in her 40s (she is 84 now).The stresses and strains of life took over and she stopped going to church and reading the bible etc. I often worried about her spiritual state as she got old, then she got all of the above too.

A couple of years back I work up to hear her crying so went into her. Despite the dementia and confusion.

She was sobbing and apologising for all the trouble she had caused she asked me to pray with her. Then she said sorry to God for all the trouble and problems she had caused.

I was crying along with her it was such a touching moment. That night she re dedicated her
life back to God, then the confusion was back again the next day.

Ever since I have often heard her praying or seen her praying, even despite the dementia.

I believe God lifted the veil of confusion that night and drew her to back to Himself.

He is God and we are not!

M

Miri

People with memory loss, dementia etc have brain damage.

Yes they may say awful things or even do strange things but they are innocent.
In my aunts case she is like a little child, she is incapable of lying she does not
have the ability to make things up or be deceitful any more.

Even if what she says sounds strange, in her mind it’s the honest truth.
People with dementia are the most honest truthful people you will come across.

God’s Grace surpasses even brain damage.