Mental Health forum

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tasha66

I don't know if this has already been suggested, but I've been pretty much concerned with all the poor lost souls on here, with obvious mental health issues. We could post practical suggestions and encouragement.
Cheers

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
"Obvious mental health issues"??

We can post suggestions and encouragement, without the need for a forum. For that matter, the Health forum could be a good place.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I suggest a thread on the miscellaneous forum. I did it for co-occurring disorders called CRA, (Christians in Recovery Anonymous) :cool:. We've had over 7,000 views and over 600 posts.:cool:(y) There's on right now about online Christian counseling.

S

Susanna

I don't know if this has already been suggested, but I've been pretty much concerned with all the poor lost souls on here, with obvious mental health issues. We could post practical suggestions and encouragement.
Cheers
The Goldwater rule comes to mind...but since you’re probably not a professional that would be no problem...

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Cheers
It's been suggested. But I believe the risk of taking on such a claim is too great. Many people may mean well, but actually spread false ideas that can be more damaging.
The site may then be held responsible for providing an area aimed at this problem.
On the surface it seems like a good idea, I agree. But you have to be aware of all that can go wrong as well.
Also many on this site have unhealthy and damaging views on mental illness. So for them to get in and spread their ignorance to a group of vulnerable people all at once could create a Lot of problems.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
It's been suggested. But I believe the risk of taking on such a claim is too great. Many people may mean well, but actually spread false ideas that can be more damaging.
The site may then be held responsible for providing an area aimed at this problem.
On the surface it seems like a good idea, I agree. But you have to be aware of all that can go wrong as well.
Also many on this site have unhealthy and damaging views on mental illness. So for them to get in and spread their ignorance to a group of vulnerable people all at once could create a Lot of problems.
Actually there already is one sort of. The CRA thread For co-occurring disorders aka Dual diagnosis recovery. that means people with addictive disorders co-mingled with mental or emotional disorders.. They then to feed off of each other and an emotional or mental problem such as bipolar disorder will rekindle addiction and visa versa. Contrary to most 12 step groups we identify Jesus as our higher power and do not discriminate against people taking prescribed medications that includes but is not limited to psych & pain meds. We know that addiction, physical pain and mental illness are real so we get real about it.

Prayer works but often prayer is not enough. I has been a little disappointing that more don't talk about things besides addiction including alcoholism there but we're here and we're listening. I'm the OP. Drop in, your all welcome if you can refrain from being judgmental or condescending. Jesus is Lord of recovery.

T

tasha66

"Obvious mental health issues"??

We can post suggestions and encouragement, without the need for a forum. For that matter, the Health forum could be a good place.
I don't think many people really understand what mental health means. It's not just about people wanting to commit sucide etc. I thought I'd post some links to clarify things a wee bit:
https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/what-is-mental-health

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/mental_health

Mental Health issues can be as 'simple' as you are not coping with some sort of stressor in your life, ie: divorce, or you are just going through a bad time but can't voice why you feel that way. A million people for example might have depression, but there are different types of depression, & though those people might describe their depression in similar terms, everybody will feel just a wee bit differently. Sir Winston Churchill described his depression as his 'black dog' that followed him around - the Black Dog Institute was named for this.

Mental Health is anything that affects YOU personally, irregardless of what others think or feel, or of your circumstances. For example, a teenage girl who has split up with her boyfriend (bf), and that bf has blocked her on Facebook, will see this as the end of her life. But adults might just think: Oh well she will grow up & just get over it. But she may not see it this way.

And blue, if you don't think people on here stating outright that they are suicidal isn't a Mental Health issue, I honestly don't know what is!

BTW suicidal ideation in any form (written, voiced, etc), especially with a plan to commit suicide, should always be taken seriously and never be dismissed under any circumstances. People just cannot 'get over things. This is why they then have to see a health professional, or Mental Health nurse/practitioner.

T

tasha66

@ lady blue - also there is not health forum that I can see.
There is a natual health forum that I can see only.
Maybe we should start a health forum?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
@ lady blue - also there is not health forum that I can see.
There is a natual health forum that I can see only.
Maybe we should start a health forum?

We don't need a second health forum, since one already exists. :) Mental health could be included in that forum. It isn't only for remedies.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
@tasha66
I believe everyone that has posted in this thread is knowledgeable about mental health, either by study or experience or both. So I'm not sure why you believe we are so ignorant on the topic. Nor am I quite sure what experience/study you have to speak ao condescendingly towards others on the topic.
I've had mental illness most of my life, and have strived to understand it better. Blue has had problems with it as well. Bob has had issues with addiction in the past. And if I recall correctly Susana is well studied on the subject. So I'm not sure what gives you the impression we aren't understanding what mental health is.

M

morefaithrequired

Yes I feel sorry for all those poor lost souls whose mental health is just not up to par.
Whats that?
You think I'm one of those poor lost souls?
Oh come on. Now if there were a Mental Health Exam on here I would ace the test! Top of the class!
And my spirituality rates highly too. Im easily one of the best pray- ers here. If you want to know what God thinks just ask me.

M

morefaithrequired

I find the name Miscellaneous a disappointing name for a sub forum anyway. Its like "bottom of the barrel" topics??

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I find the name Miscellaneous a disappointing name for a sub forum anyway. Its like "bottom of the barrel" topics??
It's for the topics that don't really fall into the category of the other forums. Or just for random stuff.. :)

M

morefaithrequired

I'd like to see a morefaithrequired sub forum. Bound to be popular.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Why not just post in natural health. Thats how I got mentally well anyway, through living healthy naturally. Or gardening.

I sure do miss my gardening forum. I had an entire one created from another site but, some of the mods overseeing the site became bullies and I left. (But not on this particular forum) Its probably still there. I hope so. That some good came of it.

T

tasha66

Yes Lan they don't seem too keen on new forums since I've been here, but maybe it's due to lack of money or moderators, IDK. I thought it might have been a way to help people with a separate forum, but there you go.
Sorry to hear re your gardening forum. I don't have a garden where I am. I do miss gardening sometimes and growing stuff, but water is so expensive down here. I noticed many people are just letting their gardens get dry, or replacing the lawn with coloured stones or whatever. Growing in pots is good, I might grow some herbs & veggies that way - I like fresh cherry tomotoes, hmmm. Just gotta watch out for summer that's here now, and that sweltering Aussie sun!!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Tasha, @Subhumanoidal explained why they don't create more forums. There needs to be enough demand and interest in the topic being proposed. There are already several mental health threads on here, anyway.

But if you want to create a new one, the Natural Health forum would be the best place. :)