Mental health

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
in Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.
It's a strong undercurrent in Job, too.
@JonathanBentley
and brother, that's the thing. Solomon is the wisest man who ever lived - and he said sorrow is better than laughter, and that the heart of the wise is in the house of mourning.
if you read his three books three things are very clear: he appreciated love, deeply. he spent most of his time in what people would call today depression. his deepest passions were for knowledge of God.

total. goth. bruh.
Ecclesiastes needs 1,000 readings to begin to comprehend, but even one read through, you can't come away with anything but dude, this guy totally dresses in black all day every day.
absolute target for psychologist, but this man was wiser than anyone but Christ Himself.

i think i am on the same page as you on this topic - - the human idea of psychology is on a very wrong foundation. but I would say, to you, there is a real Godly psychology, that consists of humility, brokenness and wisdom. and its worldview is totally opposed to pop psychology - in some cases worldly psychology is not wrong, but in several very basic things, what the world calls bad feelings, God calls good, and right.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
( We are a soul not a brain. ) If this is true why are there approximately 50 scriptures on sound mind? I agree we are a soul...but with a brain...​
the mind is not the brain.
the brain is a vehicle the mind drives, a seat the mind sits in.

If the brain is the intellect, than what the atheist says is true - physical death is total annihilation of the person, and there is no resurrection.

But resurrection is the rejoining of the soul - which physical death does not destroy - with a reassembled body.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
We are NOT a soul. We are spirit beings. We have a soul.
That is NOT what the Bible reveals, We are spirit, soul, and body. We need to stick with what God has revealed. The soul is also frequently called "the heart". Angels and demons are spirit beings.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Spirit and soul are synonymous. Spirit beings are people who have physically died and moved to the spirit world. Spiritualists believe that people do this regardless of their allegiance to a particular faith or even their lack of faith. No thank you.
Rubbish. The Bible is abundantly clear that all people are spirit, soul and body. 1 Thessalonians 5:23 is crystal clear. If spirit and soul are the same, what is the point of Hebrews 4:12? Spirit and soul are different words. God does not waste words and He is not the author of confusion.

Everyone will be resurrected, the lost to judgement and the believing to eternal life. There is no "spirit" world. It's heaven or the lake of fire. Spiritualists are deceived.

Every human being is a spirit, that has a soul and lives in a body. The spirit of the unbeliever is dead to God and mostly dormant. The soul is dominant until a person is born again. That is why the soul and spirit need to be divided by the revelation of God's word.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
That is NOT what the Bible reveals, We are spirit, soul, and body. We need to stick with what God has revealed. The soul is also frequently called "the heart". Angels and demons are spirit beings.
The real person is the spirit of the person. God is Spirit and we are made in His image. It's a subtle distinction. In practice, the interaction is so quick that they function as one.

Does it matter? I believe so. The spirit is the place of communion with God, where we have faith, intuition and conscience. It is where we receive revelation. We are not our body. We are not what we think or feel. We are deeper than that. And that is the spirit.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
We are not our body. We are not what we think or feel. We are deeper than that. And that is the spirit.
Yes. I agree that it is the spirit where the Holy Spirit dwells, and it is the spirit which communicates with God and Christ, and also comprehends spiritual things. This constitutes the "spiritual man" (vs the "natural man"). Yet God does not ignore the soul and body. Indeed He redeems the whole person, and perfects him or her -- spirit, soul, and body.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thess 5:23)

So we need to stick with Scripture.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Yes. I agree that it is the spirit where the Holy Spirit dwells, and it is the spirit which communicates with God and Christ, and also comprehends spiritual things. This constitutes the "spiritual man" (vs the "natural man"). Yet God does not ignore the soul and body. Indeed He redeems the whole person, and perfects him or her -- spirit, soul, and body.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thess 5:23)

So we need to stick with Scripture.
There are three aspects to salvation. First and foremost, is the spirit. It is this that is born again. It is where we gain spiritual knowledge, and as you say, the Holy Spirit is pleased to dwell. The body is saved when we receive the new body, either when Jesus returns or after our physical death. The other salvation is the salvation of the soul, which is the goal of our faith. This is progressive, a lifetime work that needs our cooperation with the work of the Spirit. It includes the renewing of the mind and the will becoming in harmony with the will of God. It also means that we learn to go by principle, truth and the leading of the Spirit, not by emotion.

So we agree mostly. My view is that the soul is the organ of expression. We have a continual choice in this life. Will we be ruled by what we think or feel or by the Lordship of Christ as revealed in our spirit man? These things take a lifetime to work out. I am not my thoughts and feelings. That's where we differ. To be honest, I do not think it's worth arguing the point, at least from my point of view. I'll leave it at that. Peace.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
My nephew is considered handicap but I think God just made him more kind and caring.
Yes, I have seen this. My aunt believed that these types were angels in disguise.

Where in the Bible is mental health?
Luke 8:35
“Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.”

To me, it matters more how Jesus cured him than how he got "sick" in the first place. "Take them all to the Lord in prayer" is what I say.

Obviously, these handicaps of all types came in under the fall.

I was actually diagnosed with 'too spiritual'. I got the doctor's notes for our adoption of a baby boy. Can you believe that!
Yes. Now that I am old, I am no longer shocked by the degree of utter darkness and depravity that this world is under. Lord Jesus, pity the children who are being born into this sewage-tank of a world. Lord Jesus come quickly.

Jul 14, 2019
You gotta be careful who you call insane lest you blaspheme the holy Spirit

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Yes most Christians don't fast 40 days like I have. And most Christians aren't completely abstinent till marriage like I was. And most Christians don't attend Bible college like I did. And let's just be honest every Christian can type probably as you displayed, even if they never did anything.
Didn't take that long to see. Its why you listen and watch and be in the spirit. Praying.. its best not to boast about this stuff for we then take the glory. And saying "most" is very unwise since no one knows what most some few do or don't do. But it was not about most it was about you. But I think I under stand now what you are really talking about 1st post.