mental illness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 5, 2011
I am sick of the ignorance I see and hear from Christians and churches about mental illness. They act as if it is demon possession, like the mentally ill person has done something wrong and evil to deserve to be mentally ill. Many people are born with mental problems, a lot of children today have autism and adhd. It makes me angry how some churches treat people who talk about their mental illness like they are evil and lost, and tell them Jesus can heal their illness, like they don't need to see doctors, psychiatrists and counselors. Many psychiatric illness can be controlled with medicine. God does not heal everyone's problems the moment they become saved. There is no magic cure that all our aches and pains and sickness is going to go away, that we will be perfectly healthy is we would just trust the Lord. That is unrealistic.

However, faith and love in God does relieve us of anxiety and depression, it lightens the burden of mental problems.

Another thing is sometimes people with disabilities get government financial aid, both physical and mental disabilities, the mental ones are harder to prove. Judgmental Christians have trouble accepting the disabled getting government money.

I am tired of being judged by snobs, hypocrites, and idiots. They don't know who I am, and how far I have come in my walk with the Lord Christ. I forgive them, and I hope they learn better.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
If this is what you have heard and seen and experienced from those who call themselves Christians then my dear they are not Christians

J

JustAnotherUser

I am sick of the ignorance I see and hear from Christians and churches about mental illness. They act as if it is demon possession, like the mentally ill person has done something wrong and evil to deserve to be mentally ill. Many people are born with mental problems, a lot of children today have autism and adhd. It makes me angry how some churches treat people who talk about their mental illness like they are evil and lost, and tell them Jesus can heal their illness, like they don't need to see doctors, psychiatrists and counselors. Many psychiatric illness can be controlled with medicine. God does not heal everyone's problems the moment they become saved. There is no magic cure that all our aches and pains and sickness is going to go away, that we will be perfectly healthy is we would just trust the Lord. That is unrealistic.

However, faith and love in God does relieve us of anxiety and depression, it lightens the burden of mental problems.

Another thing is sometimes people with disabilities get government financial aid, both physical and mental disabilities, the mental ones are harder to prove. Judgmental Christians have trouble accepting the disabled getting government money.

I am tired of being judged by snobs, hypocrites, and idiots. They don't know who I am, and how far I have come in my walk with the Lord Christ. I forgive them, and I hope they learn better.

I'm so sorry that you are treated this way. I know how it feels to not be taken seriously or simply get mocked because of mental illness. It's something that someone will never truly know about unless they've dealt with it themselves, unfortunately.

There are people out there who understand.

Jan 27, 2015
If this is what you have heard and seen and experienced from those who call themselves Christians then my dear they are not Christians
They may very well be Christians. Some people are just a bit ignorant when it comes to mental illness, Christian or otherwise.

Jesus can heal illness, so they are not wrong for saying that. But sometimes it is in God's plan for a person to have a sickness or disability, so that through that person He would be glorified. They do need to understand that.

John 9:2-3 - And His disciples asked Him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?" Jesus answered, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him."

U

Ugly

I have depression. My gf has OCD and ADHD. Her son has ADHD and may have OCD as well. One of my best friends years ago was bipolar. All of us are Christians. None of us are depressed.

If you're going to fume over ignorant Christians then you're going to spend a lot of your time mad. Best thing to do when you see such people is walk away and let it go, because you aren't going to change them. Nor is it your job to. Rather than fighting with people over it and sitting around upset use that time to reach out to people in need.

student

Jul 20, 2010
I have been diagnosed with schizo affective disorder. I left a church over ignorance. I came to another church with hope. I still tried a few times to go without medication. It only proved to warrant another nightmare on park street. EMT's said, "Get better or we're not helping you anymore." Psych doc said, "If you don't get better, it's Haldol and a key lock". (In so many words). Minister said, "People with mental illness need only to immerse themselves in the Word and they'll get through it."

I turned fully to God, take my meds, and I'm free. Free to tell them they're wrong, if I choose. Perhaps the day will come when I throw away the meds. I'm not worried. God loves me and I'm saved. My children and grandchildren are saved. With God's guidance, I am off disability...about 85% off. I help others who have MI. To show them and understand with them the stigma that comes from all avenues. I'm thankful I wasn't born a century earlier when straight jackets and labotomy's were in full swing as well as crowded, dirty asylums. I'm thankful for grace, mercy and peace on the journey. I don't know everything about God. I'm not a college graduate...though I spent many years trying. I realized God is greater than a degree and that wasn't his desire for me. I learned what I needed to know for the journey. And the best part - I LIKE who I am. That didn't come easy, but it's mine.

-student

S

sassylady

My daughter has a lot of problems and is on meds and I've been through similar things, as well as myself having a food card and Medicaid. As if I'm not doing my part because I have help. I'm used to the attitude and don't care, but if you dwell on it, it does get discouraging.

If you see a person in a wheelchair or with a cane their disability is obvious. But with mental illness a person can look and act perfectly normal, so it's easier to judge against them unfortunately.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
At least 90% of people in this world have some kind of illness, it is extremely rare to find a person who by definition is in perfect health and mental illness is widely defined term. People in Jesus days thought that sickness and illness were the result of sin and it's surprising that people to this day still believe this

student

Jul 20, 2010
The best we can do is forgive: Ourselves, hold no resentment for ignorance and pray for others as well as educate and lift up those who are burdened.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
My daughter has a lot of problems and is on meds and I've been through similar things, as well as myself having a food card and Medicaid. As if I'm not doing my part because I have help. I'm used to the attitude and don't care, but if you dwell on it, it does get discouraging.

If you see a person in a wheelchair or with a cane their disability is obvious. But with mental illness a person can look and act perfectly normal, so it's easier to judge against them unfortunately.

I disagree with your last two sentences here. Disabilities CAN be invisible. I have epileptic seizures, but you'd never know it unless you witnessed me having one. I don't "look" disabled. People tend to think of disabled people as being in wheelchairs, or using a cane, but many MANY disabilities are invisible. My neighbor has a bad heart, but the way she moves heavy stuff around, you'd never know it. Here in Vermont, I use the bus to get to where I need to go, 90% of the time. The bus fare is one dollar, but I pay the discount fare of 50 cents, because it's offered to disabled people. I have other disabilities than just epilepsy, but that's a story for another thread. Anyhoo, the drivers are instructed to ask the people who pay the discount, just one question: "are you disabled"? I get looks quite often of "yeah right" because I DO NOT look disabled. So even though the driver may have some doubt, he has to give me the discount fare. The majority of the people here who ride the bus are either disabled, elderly or both. In most cases, it's obvious that they're disabled. But for cases like mine, it's harder to tell.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
At least 90% of people in this world have some kind of illness, it is extremely rare to find a person who by definition is in perfect health and mental illness is widely defined term. People in Jesus days thought that sickness and illness were the result of sin and it's surprising that people to this day still believe this
Are you saying I'm a crazy lunatic?!! :mad: huh??! huh?!! Maybe you need to give me an exorcism, and smack the epileptic demons outta me.. :cool:

V

VioletReigns

Are you saying I'm a crazy lunatic?!! :mad: huh??! huh?!! Maybe you need to give me an exorcism, and smack the epileptic demons outta me.. :cool:

Please tell me you don't bite your own ankles!! :eek: hahahaha

Disclaimer: I'm joking about people who think everything is a demon. No disrespect to you, my dear Lady Blue!!!

B

biblicalsandy

I disagree with your last two sentences here. Disabilities CAN be invisible. I have epileptic seizures, but you'd never know it unless you witnessed me having one. I don't "look" disabled. People tend to think of disabled people as being in wheelchairs, or using a cane, but many MANY disabilities are invisible. My neighbor has a bad heart, but the way she moves heavy stuff around, you'd never know it. Here in Vermont, I use the bus to get to where I need to go, 90% of the time. The bus fare is one dollar, but I pay the discount fare of 50 cents, because it's offered to disabled people. I have other disabilities than just epilepsy, but that's a story for another thread. Anyhoo, the drivers are instructed to ask the people who pay the discount, just one question: "are you disabled"? I get looks quite often of "yeah right" because I DO NOT look disabled. So even though the driver may have some doubt, he has to give me the discount fare. The majority of the people here who ride the bus are either disabled, elderly or both. In most cases, it's obvious that they're disabled. But for cases like mine, it's harder to tell.
That is like my Rheumatoid Arthritis, I look alright..but my insides not so alright. Mental Health issues, I suffer from PSTD from years of abuse, but I still put on a smile and strive for the day! I figure that there will always be someone, that will judge correctly, or uncorrectly..especially if they have not sat down long enough with me to know truth!

V

VioletReigns

That is like my Rheumatoid Arthritis, I look alright..but my insides not so alright. Mental Health issues, I suffer from PSTD from years of abuse, but I still put on a smile and strive for the day! I figure that there will always be someone, that will judge correctly, or uncorrectly..especially if they have not sat down long enough with me to know truth!
Only when I feel the need to cannibalize myself..lol :p I mean, I am infested with demons, or so some say.. :rolleyes:
I've had counseling most of my life because of long-term abuse from my past. Rather than live in denial, I've chosen instead to resist the enemy (fear & shame), walk in the mind of Christ and accept that I have PTSD. I've been conditioned to cat-like reflexes and go from zero to defense mode in a second if I detect trouble. And still, I trust that the Lord has total control over my life.

B

biblicalsandy

I've had counseling most of my life because of long-term abuse from my past. Rather than live in denial, I've chosen instead to resist the enemy (fear & shame), walk in the mind of Christ and accept that I have PTSD. I've been conditioned to cat-like reflexes and go from zero to defense mode in a second if I detect trouble. And still, I trust that the Lord has total control over my life.
I am like that too!..;)

R

Rudimental

Where have you seen and heard it? Sounds like you need to do Matthew 18:15 to them.

You have pretty much hit the head on the nail though. When the church is going to get with the times and stop living in the dark ages I don't know! Mental illness is not a disease. I don't believe its a weakness either. Nor a "chemical imbalance" either as some whacks like to call it. But simply a mis-understanding. Something we haven't fully understood in full until the last couple of decades really and are slowly slowly starting to realize that it absolutely IS treatable with real help from people who care and not through how we used to treat them and that is to put them in a crazy house and pump them full of drugs! Am I wrong?

Of course, I do believe that medicine still can help because after all, God gives us all things for our benefit. Why am I talking about this? I guess I feel quite strongly about it too like the OP and get riled feathers when I see people being treated wrongly because of their mental health problems which used to go largely mis-diagnosed and mis-treated but we are starting to come round to it as we learn more about it example ADHD, Autism, Bi-polar etc etc so do bare in there and definitely don't crucify anyone for anything as that wont help now. Always reward evil with Good.

I believe that God will reveal more about these things to us in His time and we'll learn more about how to deal with and treat those people who have such mental health issues much much better but in His time, the amount we need to know and not any more until the right time for us. If that makes sense.

Are you sure? I wasn't aware there was a minimum height rule for getting into Heaven...

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Blue your obviously crazy but it's a good crazy it makes all of us feel better about our own sanity :b

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Only when I feel the need to cannibalize myself..lol :p I mean, I am infested with demons, or so some say.. :rolleyes:
That's what you get for eating candy on halloween- for shame..:b

V

VioletReigns

Blue your obviously crazy but it's a good crazy it makes all of us feel better about our own sanity :b
That's what you get for eating candy on halloween- for shame..:b
I'm leaving this thread quickly! I don't even want to SEE what Lady Blue is going to do to you now, Blain! :eek: LOL