Mental illness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Stewart

Thanks for understanding
=student

Some mental illness are nothing to do with lifestyle choices,as I know people who no fault of their own have schizoprenia,manic depression ect which have developed in their lives on their own.Mental illness are created in a persons life through a variety of causes. Yet in many cases there is a spiritual source..yet some churches may/may not belive in the power of the holy spirt or strongholds satan can build into a persons life through a variety of methods

Dec 19, 2009
I knew that. I pushed God away...not just the love...but also the commandments, the Holy Spirit, the sanctity of faith until I could not stand my life anymore. Then I tried to die...and God pulled me back...through the commandments, into the sanctity of faith with the Holy SPirit. In the meantime, I felt hated and loathed by people who seemed to condemn.

In my lifetime, I committed many wrongs. And failed to learn many things...even forgetting that I pushed God out of the picture for a reason. It was indeed absurd. I was so hurt.

I did something right once and was complimented on it. Almost immediately, I did it over again, this time the wrong way on purpose. I loathed compliments and praise...and refused anything resembling pride...at least pride in what's right.

Seeds are planted in children...small and older...weed seeds and good seeds.

Wrong choices come from decisions to water the seeds...whether good seeds or weed seeds...that is our choice in life.
I was not too wise at 5...and yet I knew God..so I was not ignorant either.

I hate this part...but to be honest, to be true...I was the immoral substance abuser.
I am in God's world today.
I chew nicotine replacement gum and eat too much sugary stuff.

Still a work in progress. God loves me...tears..and I'm very thankful. Somedays I wonder if anyone else ever will.

Other days I wonder if anyone understands anything at all.
I'm late...for church again.
Love always...-student
Sounds like you've gained much wisdom. You might want to break that nicotine habit.

S

Stewart

:rolleyes: hi there student if anybody can understand that part of the immoral substance abuser I sure can I lost my husband of 26y he was minster of music/word and I ran from GOD and every thing I knew and walked into the world of addiction by one choice I made that all most took my life I liad 2 years ago on life support fighting for my life due to overdose but my parents who were pastors stood on gods word and never doughted I would live and 14 days later I woke up with no affects I told my parents I had enough I went to a program through the Pentecostal assembly of god called teen,adlut challenge that's were god transformed my life now I'm interning to work with addicted people

Praise god for your testimony...my mental illness intensified through drug abuse too as well as playing the wrong kind of music.It is amazing how god can turn our darkest moments into a blessing by using us to help others who are on similar parts to where we had gone.

you have a place in the purpose of god and may god bless you life always

student

Jul 20, 2010
Thanks, Grace. I have worked in mental health...a group home designed for dual diagnosis. I worked on an LADC degree...but failed ethics...I didn't like the unit on abortion and told the professor who subsequently flunked me. God responded, "Now I'll teach you." Within the year I was taking ministry classes by video at church. I like to work one on one with people who hurt so much they have no friends. Usually it's an unpaid position...unpaid only in wages for I have seen these people shine ... I never told them I was working for the Lord... I was only being a friend...not a worker for mental health, not a paid employee...just a friend. I had learned how important that was...having been on the other side of that picture. When the hour is up, the hour is up and whatever pain the client is in just has to wait another week. No, not a good system. I do understand it, but it really doesn't work. I hung pictures for a picture 'hoarder' for two hours. an inch from top of the wall to an inch from the floor, every wall covered with pictures and trinkets precious to this lady. I looked back at my 'work' and saw how crooked the frames were. SHe did n't care about that...for which I was much relieved...she cared that someone took the time to help her. I gave her a birthday party and brought a church mentor...I'd tried to talk Jesus to her. SHe wasn't open to me. SHe heard my friend witness and proclaimed "Jesus IS my savior". Two weeks later she died. I miss her. Difficult, contankerous, sad dear friend.

Jesus would have done it for one. My life resume ... the one that matters... has about a dozen people on it...just time spent with someone who desparately needs the time. GOd says it's more than that. I don't know...I guess these are the ones I fought for with my heart and soul and life. I'd lay it down for any one of them.

I have a hard time...I'm dealing with this now...I have a hard time understanding someone who has experienced extremely painful things, blaming another for their choices and having no compassion for still others in that same situation. Just judgements...

If I wasn't at some point at least, close to this person who judged so harshly, maybe I could think it through.

Here's my latest lesson:
The golden eagle...not the bald eagle...goes into a molting stage...losing feathers..his beak and is cold and alone. He cannot feed himself for he has no beak. He cries out in the form of a whistle...in pain and anguish.

A chicken in that situation would be pecked to death...by other chickens. Not so with the golden eagle. A formerly molted eagle will come down and feed the younger one and stay close until the molting is finished.

The finished eagle has a beak 1/3 longer than before. Has feathers stronger than those lost. Has the use now of a 'third eye'. He can now fly into the sun and see his way. He has special features...shutters on his eyes for the rain.

He can fly into the glory of the sun uninhibited.

----

We as EAgle Christians must feed the word to the lost and lonely and starving and naked...

God is the Eagle in my life feeding me...continuously...I sometimes can't see through the rain/tears.

I know there will come a day when I fly high.

------
"Delight yourself in the LOrd and He will give you the desires of your heart."

P

PerfectImperfection

It's great to know I'm not alone. I am living with PTSD, Major depression, and generalized anxiety disorder. My illnesses have made it very hard to keep my eyes on the Lord. I have been looking for Christian resources and bible studies I could do on the subject and keep coming up empty handed. I think a group devoted to this topic (with strict guidelines) would help tremendously.

S

Stewart

It's great to know I'm not alone. I am living with PTSD, Major depression, and generalized anxiety disorder. My illnesses have made it very hard to keep my eyes on the Lord. I have been looking for Christian resources and bible studies I could do on the subject and keep coming up empty handed. I think a group devoted to this topic (with strict guidelines) would help tremendously.

Hi thank you so much for your contribution...you are most certainly not alone in regards to mental illness.I myself have suffered mental illness and it is Gods will for those struggling with mental illnesses to be acknowledged and to experience his power and guidance through the darkness that it brings.

I will have a look around in regards to materials for you as I am sure Iam there must be stuff around.I don't think it is gods will for you to suffer and struggle in isolation.
Maybe we could set up a group that members can join bit must either have a mental illness themselves or have an interest in it or are neutral in the views they have yet don't hold inappropriate views about it..
lets commit this to god and see what happens then!

Funny enough that there is even a group set up for those struggling with sexual sin yet nobody seems to post anything (maybe because it is to intimate)

U

Ugly

Nobody posts in it because private groups always die. There is no alert or reminder that they exist or when posted in. So it's easy to forget they're even there.

S

Stewart

Nobody posts in it because private groups always die. There is no alert or reminder that they exist or when posted in. So it's easy to forget they're even there.

Gosh..that 's a real pitty as they hold so much potential

jenniferand2

Mar 19, 2016
No, but I do think a lot of mental illness is the result of bad lifestyle decisions.
Nope actually most mental illness Is handed down by parents.. Also the other factor is child hood trauma those are the two number one causes of mental illness.... Childhood trauma is not some choice a child can make... oppps i see you have been banned my bad

Last edited:

student

Jul 20, 2010
We all have some sort of trauma in our lives. From the first spanking perhaps to the last sharp remark someone made...it's added up and processed. It's our choices on how we deal with it and ... and this is huge ...what we've learned to that point. I learned at 3 how important forgiveness is...yet was dealt an unforgiving card...I couldn't fathom how that could even work in life...that's the reason I pushed God away. I knew in my heart to forgive was greater, yet here were adults who refused to forgive one another...and they were my mentors.

A lost set of memories and a worsening situation created deep turmoil lasting a lifetime. God showed me the past to remind me. No longer lost in it, I'm almost ready for what he has in store for the future.

I am, a bit gun shy to this stuff..even after all this time. Here's some great quotes on the subject:

• “Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward.” – C.S. Lewis.
  • “Decisions sometimes prove to be the hardest to make, especially when it’s a choice between where you should be and where you really wanted to be.”
  • “Let God have your life; He can do more with it than you can.” Dwight L. Moody
  • “It hurts to let go, but sometimes it hurts more to hold on.”
  • “Let go of the past so that God can open the door to your future.”
  • “When you finally let go something better comes along.”
  • “To heal your wound you need to stop touching it.”

The last one left me laughing a little...I was always good at trying to debride a wound that wasn't in need of debridement.
God bless!

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
There are groups for mental illness...hard to maintain as people - err, at least I , forget to dig into them. 1 in 4 people has a mental illness. I'm one in four. Wiser today than on the day of diagnosis. Praise God for that. -student
Hi Student how are you?
I dated a woman with mental illness for a year until recently, her trouble related to love of money, waiting for a rich man to rescue her, one in 7 have this trouble: Revelations 3:15; but according to Revelations 1 in 7 don't have mental illness, the Lord had nothing to say against them, the Church of Philadelphia: Love of the brethren: until we walk in Love we have mental illness.

M

Miri

It would be really bad to have a forum specifically for mental illness.
The site leaders on CC aren't medically qualified to deal with the issue which would arise
out if it.

It would have serious repercussions for a non medical, non clinical forum to
try to manage such a forum. There could be severe safe guarding repercussions.

M

Miri

Just wanted to say, there is something called Big White Wall which I think
operates in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and the US. A mental health forum.

Its not Christian but I think it's anonymous and has trained staff in mental illness
so people can discuss things safely. Someone was telling me that part of it is aimed
at service people and those who have PTSD.

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
How better to change those attitudes than to discuss these issues openly and freely, giving personal testimony and also sharing the Word as it relates to the healing Jesus came to do in Isaiah 61 also seen and testified about by Jesus in Luke 4?

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
This could suggest that the average person and the church leader is to steer away from addressing and dealing with emotional issues, I hope that isn't what you mean.

As in the un-biblical split or distinction between laity and leadership within the church, I personally think that saying that it is "dangerous" to have normal everyday people (who aren't credentialed and experienced mental heal professionals) can openly discuss emotional challenges they face and how their faith and joy in Jesus (and experiencing Him through His Body) has been their strength can create an unneeded split in a way as well. Such comments can also create unneeded fear and actually distance people from openly sharing their needs and concerns.

Granted appropriate boundaries and provisions are needed and persons advising need to not practice medicine without a license (for example), however much care and comfort can come from the Body ministering to it's members! Appropriate provisions need to made for managing those who come with severe or crisis needs as well.

As a Mental Health professional and Ordained minister, I'd be pleased to help in the setting up and managing of such a sub-forum.

U

Ugly

How better to change those attitudes than to discuss these issues openly and freely, giving personal testimony and also sharing the Word as it relates to the healing Jesus came to do in Isaiah 61 also seen and testified about by Jesus in Luke 4?
People don't want to learn. I've dealt with many over the years that insist mental illness isn't real. That it's purely spiritual/demonic. Or a lack of faith. The same kind of minds that insist Elvis was satanic and rock music will send you to hell.
Religious, ignorant and closed minded. People like that don't listen. Just visit the BDF and see for yourself.

Dec 28, 2016
All have some sort of mental illness of one sort or the other. Conversion put's us on the path of renewing our minds, to renovate out minds, Romans 12&c. This doesn't mean that all mental issues will then be healed due to salvation.

Note Titus 3:5; 2 Corinthians 4:16; Ephesians 4:23; Colossians 3:10.

Those who attack other believers due to their mental issues are simply showing us they too are mentally ill. Just pity their deficiency and ignorance, they're sick and this is how their personal sickness manifests itself. They, in their alleged solid mental state and conversion (alleged) are incapable of showing God's grace to others. They need more mind renewal, renovation. Pray for them.

Many pastors have been noted as to having mental illness. Charles Spurgeon suffered from depression. There are more. Many believers suffer from various forms of mental illness. This is a result of the fall so we are all deficient mental health wise in one way or another.

D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones has a wonderful sermon series that will be of great help to those who suffer spiritual depression.

God didn't promise to heal all of our maladies, whether mental or physical. Don't get caught up in the lie that He does. It is appointed for us not only to believe, but to suffer as well, Philippians 1:29 &c. Christianity isn't escape from suffering and reality.

My late brother suffered from schizophrenia, others in my family with depression and anxiety. Some have higher degrees of suffering, some lower degrees and lesser mental illness.

If we'd all see the human race in the same boat, spiritually (which is our psyche, by the way) and the Gospel of Christ our only hope, we would do well.

Hang on all converted, there is a new world coming. There will be no more suffering.

Last edited:
M

Miri

I think it's good to discuss and especially from a Christian perspective.

But it does need careful moderating and trained people if a forum was set up.

For example if someone was severely depressed and suicidal, a thoughtless
response could do more harm than good. If someone is self harming than
thoughtless comments even unintentional can make a person worse etc.

Thats why I don't think it would be good to have a mental health forum
in an untrained setting like CC; and especially with the various differences of
opinion which everyone gets thrown at them.

Feb 28, 2016
anyone born into this fake-fallen world will suffer some sort of 'mental illness' in many
points of their lives - after conversion, The Holy Spirit begins the real work of healing us
and teaching us how to recognize where they came from and how to over-come them...
it's an on going process, the un-doing of satan's deceptions and deceptive ways...

we will be taught how to 'walk in our Saviour's Light, this is but one of His many gifts to us...