Mental illness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Scarlett7297

Mar 28, 2020
My mother's delusional disorder flared up yesterday and she fought with my dad again , days after we thought everything is back to normal. She made him resign his job and now he has to show up to the head of his company to finalize his plan of resignation on Tuesday.
I am not perfect in my ways , but I can't overlook the fact that there is no happiness in this house and that every attempt at being happy is taken away from you by some issue (a family member). I can't put in words just how much there is going on here. I just ask for your prayers.

G

George0115

My mother's delusional disorder flared up yesterday and she fought with my dad again , days after we thought everything is back to normal. She made him resign his job and now he has to show up to the head of his company to finalize his plan of resignation on Tuesday.
I am not perfect in my ways , but I can't overlook the fact that there is no happiness in this house and that every attempt at being happy is taken away from you by some issue (a family member). I can't put in words just how much there is going on here. I just ask for your prayers.
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I don't know anyone with a mental illness, but I'm sure its got to be really hard to deal with. I hope God restores health to your mother. The power of prayer is very real. Like I hear people say, God is in the miracle business. Miracles happen everyday in the world.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"Lord, I pray comfort and peace to come upon this family."
'Amen'

man-praying - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
Take it easy on your mom. Your dad is putting up with it for a reason. Either it's his love for your mom or their are issues you do not understand. Just because they're your parents doesn't mean you know everything behind closed doors.

I didn't find out about my dad's infidelity issue until I was in my 30s. There were times I thought my mom was to blame. Even now I have mixed feelings. There are people in my family with different mental disorders. Bipolar/Schizophrenia disorder which... was brought on by childhood rape for a family member. When you see the symptom, you're missing the cause.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
will pray. if someone in the group you're talking about is unsaved, please suggest salvation thru our Lord Jesus Christ.

Nov 17, 2017
I am praying for you scarlett.

Scarlett7297

Mar 28, 2020
Take it easy on your mom. Your dad is putting up with it for a reason. Either it's his love for your mom or their are issues you do not understand. Just because they're your parents doesn't mean you know everything behind closed doors.

I didn't find out about my dad's infidelity issue until I was in my 30s. There were times I thought my mom was to blame. Even now I have mixed feelings. There are people in my family with different mental disorders. Bipolar/Schizophrenia disorder which... was brought on by childhood rape for a family member. When you see the symptom, you're missing the cause.
Thank you blueluna5. In my house , my brother who has Schizophrenia is abusive and perverted/lewd towards us (his sisters!) and speaks lewd things and always back bites about me to my parents for no reason , overhears my conversations on phone , read my diary, brings my name in fight with everyone else to harass me , stares for no reason , makes me feel unsafe in my own house. Life here is distressing and I try to forgive a lot of times and I still feel harassed in this house and subjected to a lot of pain and still forgiving each time but when you are subject to your privacy , your diaries being scrutinized , your laptop being searched and you having to lock your diaries and laptop inside whenever you leave home and you wanting to be inside your room so you are not stared at , and still for no reason your name is being brought and you are accused about things for nothing , it feels so distressing living in this house.
I am 26 already. I have to move out but Indian parents won't allow you to live alone if you are a girl , but this house itself is unsafe since he threatened rape and one day asked to lie down next to him ( I feel so disgusted typing this, and because of this I refuse to speak much about it or bring it up!) These are traumatizing events for me to recall and imagine staying in such a house because your parents will judge you as a characterless girl if you start living alone. I am so distressed
I also have been in this house for 26 years and so have no idea how to even start from scratch if I live alone , but then they won't even allow me to , they will suggest me to get married instead. I am not ready for marriage yet. If you have to leave an Indian household , it should be for marriage according to them. And what do I say to the misbehavior I am being put up to ? He has a mental illness, can I say anything to them? And I have told them multiple times , but he gets away in the name of mental illness. And I keep trying to forgive but lewd things aren't easy to forget. I try to stay away from him in this house but he keeps on saying my name around this house , spies on my things , my conversations , my life and if that isn't enough , speaks ill of me for NO reason , for doing NOTHING but sitting inside my room.
What do I say to God about leaving this home? According to Him , I must honor and obey my parents and they want me to be in this house and not go out of it for any reason except marriage or higher studies. And about higher studies? I gave an exam day before yesterday to get into a college for post graduation and I made so many mistakes. I know nothing is impossible with our God. I am waiting for the results.
I don't feel well. Please pray for me. :(

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Thank you blueluna5. In my house , my brother who has Schizophrenia is abusive and perverted/lewd towards us (his sisters!) and speaks lewd things and always back bites about me to my parents for no reason , overhears my conversations on phone , read my diary, brings my name in fight with everyone else to harass me , stares for no reason , makes me feel unsafe in my own house. Life here is distressing and I try to forgive a lot of times and I still feel harassed in this house and subjected to a lot of pain and still forgiving each time but when you are subject to your privacy , your diaries being scrutinized , your laptop being searched and you having to lock your diaries and laptop inside whenever you leave home and you wanting to be inside your room so you are not stared at , and still for no reason your name is being brought and you are accused about things for nothing , it feels so distressing living in this house.
I am 26 already. I have to move out but Indian parents won't allow you to live alone if you are a girl , but this house itself is unsafe since he threatened rape and one day asked to lie down next to him ( I feel so disgusted typing this, and because of this I refuse to speak much about it or bring it up!) These are traumatizing events for me to recall and imagine staying in such a house because your parents will judge you as a characterless girl if you start living alone. I am so distressed
I also have been in this house for 26 years and so have no idea how to even start from scratch if I live alone , but then they won't even allow me to , they will suggest me to get married instead. I am not ready for marriage yet. If you have to leave an Indian household , it should be for marriage according to them. And what do I say to the misbehavior I am being put up to ? He has a mental illness, can I say anything to them? And I have told them multiple times , but he gets away in the name of mental illness. And I keep trying to forgive but lewd things aren't easy to forget. I try to stay away from him in this house but he keeps on saying my name around this house , spies on my things , my conversations , my life and if that isn't enough , speaks ill of me for NO reason , for doing NOTHING but sitting inside my room.
What do I say to God about leaving this home? According to Him , I must honor and obey my parents and they want me to be in this house and not go out of it for any reason except marriage or higher studies. And about higher studies? I gave an exam day before yesterday to get into a college for post graduation and I made so many mistakes. I know nothing is impossible with our God. I am waiting for the results.
Prayers lifted up to our Heavenly Father for you...
Can you go online and search for Christian centres...Maybe they can put you in a safe home , a place where you can be far away...God has His ministries all over , please search for one , and I think your next move really should be to get out , trusting God that He will direct your paths...My heart goes out to you sister ...xox...

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
I think you need to get out of there. Do you have a source of income? Do you have a friend to share an apartment? Money can be tough living on your own.

There is no sin of going to live on your own as a woman. And considering the sin of your brother trying to get with you I'd say it's the safest option.

It will be difficult, especially since it's in your culture to live at home. I think you will be less anxious living somewhere else. I would also say to get a christian counselor.

I do not feel sorry for your parents with you leaving. Every adult does it and honestly it's their fault for not putting your brother on meds or telling him to get out. I would never let my kids behave that way and would protect the innocent child. That's terrible parenting in my opinion, but I know they're your parents and you love them. I'm in my 30s... love my parents, but I couldn't live with them again. They're just human and make mistakes, but as an adult I'm happy I don't have to deal with it anymore.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
That's a tough situation.
I would appeal to your parents about your Dad's responsibility to protect you from sexual harassment. You should probably ask around to see if there are any recommended Ladies Self Defense Classes in your area. That might help you in the meantime until you make a decision on the next course of action. As long as you find a good teacher, I would continue progressing, getting experience in practical self defense. Avoid the boxing, Jiujitsu or MMA gyms. Filipino Martial Arts FMA can be fun and practical. Arnis and Escrima are the names of those Arts. That should help you neutralize the potential threat if it ever gets physical. Getting focused on the Lord's protection through a good program like that should help you relax more in such a stressful environment. Let your parents know how you feel and the stress that could lead to a decline in your own health.

The first is of spiritual importance. I will post this video for you. If you have any questions, please ask.

Blessing of Salvation

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
Do you live in India or somewhere else? Are your parents/family Christian also? Can you talk to a pastor about this? You need to talk to someone, maybe even a women support group. You need to gain support so you build more confidence to move on with your decisions.

Maybe you can live in a group house with other females or rent a room in a Christian home instead of living alone. Your parents may feel better about that.

Jul 12, 2021
Please don't stay and subject yourself to abuse just because of culture. Sometimes God chooses you to become that first one in the family to break that generational curse. There's so many atrocities committed in the name of culture ie: genitalia mutilation. Don't feel guilty for wanting to start a life on your own.

As far as honoring your parents, that doesn't mean allowing them to dictate your life as an adult.

Are you in India?

Handyman62

Jan 10, 2021
Rural South Carolina
I can relate at least in part to what you are going through. My mother was Bipolar and my younger brother is Schizophrenic. Our family is large and things were not as bad with my mother when she was a little younger. Beginning in her late 40s and early 50s things became real bad with her and with those still at home. Most of us were out of the house by then but it was still very difficult for us to watch what was happening to her.
Along with her delusions she started spending money like crazy and emptied out their bank accounts along with many other things that I won't get into on here. Sometime these kinds of problems don't become obvious until later in life.
My mother never really got better as she would go through times of normalcy and times of lunacy. She did seem to settle down a little more in the last maybe 8 years of her life. My 3 sisters all were diagnosed with the same problem later in their lives also and my schizophrenic brother is living in a group home and seems to be getting the help that he needs.
Myself and the rest of my brothers haven't ended up being bipolar or with any obvious symptoms of mental illness.

I can't really offer any help other than letting you know you and your family aren't the only ones with problems but that things usually do get better over time. :)

Jan 26, 2023
it annoys me when Christians use the term "Mental illness"... such a worldly phrase, denies the existence of the spiritual realm.. If someone's behavior is contrary to the gifts of the Spirit, is it not from the evil one?

Handyman62

Jan 10, 2021
Rural South Carolina
it annoys me when Christians use the term "Mental illness"... such a worldly phrase, denies the existence of the spiritual realm.. If someone's behavior is contrary to the gifts of the Spirit, is it not from the evil one?
While I don't disagree it's not from God it is nevertheless an illness. The world is full of illnesses and Jesus does not heal them all so many are left to cope as best they can. The worldly healers are part of the problem by exacerbating things with their useless treatments.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
mental illness means health conditions involving changes in emotions, thinking & behavior. i world with the hands-capped & elderly voluntarily for 37 years & learned a few things here & there. many old terms have been softened to new terms so someone doesn't feel expunged or belittled. eg.-retarded became different or mentally challenged, shellshocked became "combat stress reaction". are you saying that "mental illness is to harsh?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Lord you know what idols are in the home I pray you deliver our sister to a place of refuge where she'll be safe and loved by you. I also pray this for all daughters experiencing this harassment and break every yoke of bondage. In Jesus mighty name

Jan 26, 2023
mental illness means health conditions involving changes in emotions, thinking & behavior. i world with the hands-capped & elderly voluntarily for 37 years & learned a few things here & there. many old terms have been softened to new terms so someone doesn't feel expunged or belittled. eg.-retarded became different or mentally challenged, shellshocked became "combat stress reaction". are you saying that "mental illness is to harsh?
I'm saying "mental illness" is a phrase to distract people from thinking in spiritual terms...

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. " Eph 6:12