Meritorious works don't save anyone. Only works of faith justify the person.
I've seen many OSAS Christians talk about 'meritorious' works, when trying to disannul all works from being saved and justified with God by Jesus Christ.
First off, it's not possible to separate our works from our salvation and justification, without separating our faith from our lives. How can any person be a saved and justified Christian of God, and not have any works of faith to live by: For the just shall live by his faith.
Secondly, if our works must be separated from our salvation and justification with God, then they can't be any good with God or man: Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
And so meritorious works that do not justify a person with God, must be works of man that are not of God, specifically works that men without Christ can boast of:
Eph{2:8}
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
And so, proud meritorious works are not the humble good works, that people can only do through Jesus Christ our Lord:
Gal 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Salvation and justification by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, is without all works of men's righteousness, not without works of God's righteousness by faith:
Titus{3:4}
But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
These 'meritorious' works which men do, include our own works of righteousness, law, and, good will without Christ. They are not evil works in themselves, but neither are they the good works justified by God, that can only be done by the grace and faith of Jesus Christ.
3 John{1:11}
Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that is doing good is of God: but he that is doing evil hath not seen God.
Act 10:38
How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
And so, we see only the good done by God with us, Immanuel, are justified by Jesus Christ to the glory of God:
Mat 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Conclusion: No man is justified by his own works without Christ, lest he boast in himself alone, which are 'Meritorious' works of man alone. The meritorious works that do not justify any man, are self-meritorious, not God glorifying...
1Co 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
I've seen many OSAS Christians talk about 'meritorious' works, when trying to disannul all works from being saved and justified with God by Jesus Christ.
First off, it's not possible to separate our works from our salvation and justification, without separating our faith from our lives. How can any person be a saved and justified Christian of God, and not have any works of faith to live by: For the just shall live by his faith.
Secondly, if our works must be separated from our salvation and justification with God, then they can't be any good with God or man: Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
And so meritorious works that do not justify a person with God, must be works of man that are not of God, specifically works that men without Christ can boast of:
Eph{2:8}
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
And so, proud meritorious works are not the humble good works, that people can only do through Jesus Christ our Lord:
Gal 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Salvation and justification by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, is without all works of men's righteousness, not without works of God's righteousness by faith:
Titus{3:4}
But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
These 'meritorious' works which men do, include our own works of righteousness, law, and, good will without Christ. They are not evil works in themselves, but neither are they the good works justified by God, that can only be done by the grace and faith of Jesus Christ.
3 John{1:11}
Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that is doing good is of God: but he that is doing evil hath not seen God.
Act 10:38
How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
And so, we see only the good done by God with us, Immanuel, are justified by Jesus Christ to the glory of God:
Mat 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Conclusion: No man is justified by his own works without Christ, lest he boast in himself alone, which are 'Meritorious' works of man alone. The meritorious works that do not justify any man, are self-meritorious, not God glorifying...
1Co 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.