migrants, natives and refugees

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Just wondered what your attitudes are towards migration, both immigration and emmigration.
are you a migrant or have you stayed in the same place where you were born?
Do you welcome refugees, or do you look down upon anyone who is 'fresh off the boat' or isnt a royal descendant of the first founding fathers of the esteemed good ship lollipop for ten generations or whatever it was?

How do you think Abraham felt when he was told by God to get out of his own country and go live in a place he didnt even know about but God would show him?

Aug 16, 2020
I believe everyone is allowed to come into the USA, but it needs to be done LEGALLY.

I’m very much against illegal immigration, as it has lead to problems. From what I know, immigration has lead to some problems in Europe, but that’s as much as I know that it could cause problems. Basically my ancestors were immigrants (As is the case for most Americans), I know my ancestors were of Polish/Czechoslovakia area for my Dad’s side of the family, and German for my Mom’s side of the family. I remember something my grandmother said how her ancestors had to change their last name to “Robert” when coming into the United States. I actually got to visit Ellis Island when I used to live in New Jersey, and the History is really cool. So I just respect people that want to come to America legally, for I think it is the right thing to do, never illegally.

Mar 4, 2020
If you are asking if I like immigrants for no other reason than they moved from one geographic location to another then no. I don't really think that matters. I think what is important is what people can contribute to a society.

If they cannot contribute anything then the society as a whole is better off not taking in more dependants who just want to get by off of the success of people who work and pay taxes.

If someone is an actual refugee or asylum-seeker who could not find a safe haven somewhere closer to their point of origin then it makes sense to help them for the sake of goodness.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think many people have a really biased attitude to migrants. But in the Bible, EVERYONE was a migrant in some form or another, or the descendants of a migrant.
men were told to leave their mother and father and cleave to their wife. This was frequently in another town.
adam and eve were originally migrants, in fact, they were banished or exiled from their original home!
Jesus was a migrant, He didnt grow up where he was born.

Ruth was a migrant. The entire jewish population became migrants when they were exiled. The hebrews originally were migrants from Ur (through abraham) and settled in Egypt, which they went to because of famine. Egypt did not begrudge them, they could use the work. It was only when they became TOO settled and populated, that the Pharoah got cruel to them.

They were then migrants TO the promised land. Didnthey build their own houses in Canaan etc? nope. The houses were already there.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I find it interesting that people talk about 'contributions to society' when what they really mean is like a tax that someone has to pay, usually what happens with many tax systems is the people who are poor are taxed in order to fund the well off.
But people get sooo angry at the mere suggestion that the well off might need to look after the poor and be taxed!

basically, most immmigration schemes that modern countries have is so people can work and then pay tribute ie taxes to someone in power. This is behind the. drive to push immigration in some contries in order to have a wide tax base. It was what the romans did, in order to colonise other countries. Of course, the jewish people resented this, They didnt want to be ruled and pay taxes to the romans! furthermore, there was another tax, the tithe, that only the rich could afford so they could have the temple. Jesus was horrified at how unfair THAT system was. It was kinda like 'pay to pray'.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Just wondered what your attitudes are towards migration, both immigration and emmigration.
Do you welcome refugees, or do you look down upon anyone who is 'fresh off the boat' or isnt a royal descendant of the first founding fathers of the esteemed good ship lollipop for ten generations or whatever it was?

How do you think Abraham felt when he was told by God to get out of his own country and go live in a place he didnt even know about but God would show him?
It also depends on severe cases. Like when people must vacate their country because of overlords taking over or persecution and such. I always remember seeing the ship Anne Frank was on trying to get permission to enter the US because of people desperately wanting to escape the Nazi terror where they lived, esp Jewish people and being refused. That was a disgrace and I'd say unGodly.
The way they must have felt, having to return to sure suffering and extermination, is heartbreaking.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

I am okay with-
Immigration: good
Refugees: good

Problems-
Illegal immigration: bad
Poor Assimilation: bad
Poor Vetting: bad

I can explain why these are problems if needed. But I'll leave it here for now.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I think many people have a really biased attitude to migrants. But in the Bible, EVERYONE was a migrant in some form or another, or the descendants of a migrant.
men were told to leave their mother and father and cleave to their wife. This was frequently in another town.
adam and eve were originally migrants, in fact, they were banished or exiled from their original home!

Ruth was a migrant. The entire jewish population became migrants when they were exiled. The hebrews originally were migrants from Ur (through abraham) and settled in Egypt, which they went to because of famine. Egypt did not begrudge them, they could use the work. It was only when they became TOO settled and populated, that the Pharoah got cruel to them.

They were then migrants TO the promised land. Didnthey build their own houses in Canaan etc? nope. The houses were already there.
Of course, Biblically not every situation dealing with the word immigrant can be held to the same use of today. Just as a slave in scripture was actually first translated as an indentured servant which is a big difference.

Our government official in D.C. has many resources available to help with filtering policy through a Biblical lens.

Capitol Ministry pastor explains this in more detail.

Capital Ministry works weekly in a discipleship Bible study in the U.S. Capitol for members of the House of Representatives. In 2016 they established an identical Bible study for U.S. Senators. They recently have established a thriving congressional ministry and an additional Members Bible Studies to Members of the White House Cabinet.

https://capmin.org/bible-says-illegal-immigration-problem/

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Just wondered what your attitudes are towards migration, both immigration and emigration.
1. LEGAL IMMIGRATION: HAS ALWAYS BEEN ACCEPTABLE, BUT HAS BEEN CORRUPTED FOR QUITE SOME TIME.

2, MIGRANT INVASION: IS A CRIME, AND ALL SUCH PEOPLE ARE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE DEPORTATION. BUT THIS IS BEING ENCOURAGED BY GLOBALIST ELITISTS TO UNDERMINE NATIONS.

3. REFUGEES: MANY ARE ABUSING REFUGEE STATUS WHEN THEY ARE NOT REALLY REFUGEES. MUSLIM REFUGEES SHOULD HAVE SOUGHT REFUGE IN MUSLIM LANDS.

4. EMIGRATION: EVERYONE SHOULD BE FREE TO EMIGRATE IF THEY WISH, PROVIDED IT IS DONE LEGALLY.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

I find it interesting that people talk about 'contributions to society' when what they really mean is like a tax that someone has to pay, usually what happens with many tax systems is the people who are poor are taxed in order to fund the well off.
But people get sooo angry at the mere suggestion that the well off might need to look after the poor and be taxed!

basically, most immmigration schemes that modern countries have is so people can work and then pay tribute ie taxes to someone in power. This is behind the. drive to push immigration in some contries in order to have a wide tax base. It was what the romans did, in order to colonise other countries. Of course, the jewish people resented this, They didnt want to be ruled and pay taxes to the romans! furthermore, there was another tax, the tithe, that only the rich could afford so they could have the temple. Jesus was horrified at how unfair THAT system was. It was kinda like 'pay to pray'.
Why do you ask so many questions that you already know all the answers to? It can't be to get more information on the topic - I've never once seen you change your mind about anything.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I believe everyone is allowed to come into the USA, but it needs to be done LEGALLY.

I’m very much against illegal immigration, as it has lead to problems. From what I know, immigration has lead to some problems in Europe, but that’s as much as I know that it could cause problems. Basically my ancestors were immigrants (As is the case for most Americans), I know my ancestors were of Polish/Czechoslovakia area for my Dad’s side of the family, and German for my Mom’s side of the family. I remember something my grandmother said how her ancestors had to change their last name to “Robert” when coming into the United States. I actually got to visit Ellis Island when I used to live in New Jersey, and the History is really cool. So I just respect people that want to come to America legally, for I think it is the right thing to do, never illegally.
I think that the issue of immigration is much larger than people wanting to live in the U.S.A. Many of the members of this site are from different countries. There are many Americans who were shocked to find out that they can't just move to Canada. When we look at being an immigrant, I don't think that the First Nations of Canada or the U.S.A. were consulted or gave permission for the influx of people who came to North America. It is a very big issue and I think when we look at the bible it is very specific on how we are to behave. I think we get caught up in what we want, in what we believe to be ours, in focusing on ourselves (This comment is not directed at you Sarah. I think you are lovely), that we close our eyes to biblical mandates. I have to go right now but I'll write some more later. Bless you.

G

Godsgirl83

have you stayed in the same place where you were born?
I'm was born and raised an Army brat, so to answer this question: NO
No, I have not stayed in the same place I was born.

Jul 9, 2020
Mass immigration is no different than an invasion. It's warfare. We should be sinking the ships that carry these invaders. We should be protecting our borders with lethal force. It doesn't matter if it's legal or illegal. It's still an invasion. Study your history. This won't end well. It's gonna be a bloodbath. What's coming is gonna make WW2 look like a light, pregame warmup.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
army brats and gypsy (brats) will proably be termed as migrants too but children of immigrants really dont have a choice where they go.

A lot of refugees dont they just want to go somewhere, anywhere where they can be safe from war. if a country says they can take them in or accomodate them then these families will go there. They may not speak the lanaguage, the way of life is totally different, its a big thing to adjust to.

a lot of people dont seem to understand this that whatever may have happened in their home land its a really big deal to be displaced from everything thats familiar, even if your home is torn apart you dont really want to leave it. its not a decision made lightly by some wealthy people like a holiday we can stay for a while and go back if we want. Nope. You go there, you are likely to die there.

Like Ruth says, your people will by my people, and your God my God. when you are starving and everyone else in your family is dead or going to be killed not even knowing the langauge is not going to stop you from wanting to live.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018

Most people are pretty open to immigration in the sense of people entering a country legally. After all everyone has ancestors who came here at some point.

Immigrants do struggle. My ancestors struggled but they worked hard and each generation did the same. They never expected a free hand out... nor does my family.

I've had students before who were illegal immigrants. It's a very sad situation. Unfortunately children do suffer for the sins of their parents. Their parents were nice, but they committed a crime. You have to do things legally. I hate paying taxes... but I do bc its the law.

I've paid for my own college and health care which included thousands for fertility costs. Why should I pay for illegal immigrants to have these things. I work full time, have a side business with my husband, and raise a family while pregnant with a 10 pound baby. Just things to consider.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020

I agree, it should all follow the laws pertaining to Immigration, Emmigation, and Refugee status.
Another thing about the Refugee program is that they're being given refuge in America isn't permanent. They're to be sent back home once the conflict that caused their exodus from that homeland is overcome. The other part about that is, international law has that a person who is a refugee must seek sanctuary, refuge, in the safe country nearest their homeland.
It doesn't say they're entitled to trek past those and have a right to gain entry into America as a refugee. Though refugee's are able to apply for citizenship here after a time.

America is the only country soft on violations of those laws. It is a privilege to enter America not a right.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
americans have quite. a hostile, xenophobic attitude to people not born there I think.

in nz you can become naturalised and choose to be a citizen. But it was not always so. We had dawn raids where islanders were targeted for overstaying by the police, even though those from other countries were not.

most people generally dont like outsiders and always assume people arriving will take over cos they never take the time to get to know them or their reasons for coming.

its very big thing to leave your home country and set up a life for yourself and your family, who wants to live in a refugee camp all their life and never have a home. NOBODY.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
an interesting thing about the jewish exile, as shown in the Bible, was God actually told His people they were to stay where they were (in the exile) until the time was He wanted them back.

another very iteresting thing was, the jewish people had this thing about gentiles. (people who were not jewish) but Jesus really turned that in its head and declared that Gods people were not just the chosen ones. it was anyone who believed in Him.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
what people dont undertand about refugees is, the exile could last MANY MANY years. its not just a couple of months and then ok you can go now.

in that time people are born and people die, and life goes on. famines and wars dont just blow over and everything back to normal after maybe a genocide!!!

people STILL wanted to kill Jesus after he came back from Egypt. And that was years later.