I was saved in the 1970's. There was a lot going on in the Church in Australia. The Charismatic movement was gathering steam, many high profile preachers were visiting and many were coming to Christ.
It seemed that God was restoring truths to the Church that had been ignored. One of those truths was "Body Ministry". The church I attended embraced this truth. For a time. The pastor was a controller and that created some serious issues. Many people left, including myself.
By Body Ministry I mean that all believers have some kind of gift from God. All believers should be able to contribute to a meeting in some way.
"What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a psalm or a teaching, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. All of these must be done to build up the church." 1 Corinthians 14:6
Romans 12:3-8
"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but think of yourself with sober judgment, according to the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and not all members have the same function, 5so in Christ we who are many are one body, and each member belongs to one another.
We have different gifts according to the grace given us. If one’s gift is prophecy, let him use it in proportion to his faith; if it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is giving, let him give generously; if it is leading, let him lead with diligence; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully."
All of these must be done to build up the church......... If you want to know why your church is struggling to retain members, you have your answer. Many drift from fellowship to fellowship, seeking fulfillment that rarely comes. While the congregation languishes, Pastors are overloaded and undervalued.
Where I attend is typical. Every now and again, someone has a testimony to share. And that's about it.
The pastor is one of the more pragmatic men I've met. He does not enslave himself to the congregation. He takes holidays that are due to him. However, he also gets an outsider to minister while he is away. This is not biblical. There are about 60 regulars. Many of them are competent to share the Word.
I've not shared my thoughts on this with him as yet. I need to have some credibility first.
Brethren, this is not for the fainthearted. There are risks of false doctrine, division, jealousy and pride rising up. However, obeying God's principles most certainly will be rewarded. For sure the current model of church has failed.
It seemed that God was restoring truths to the Church that had been ignored. One of those truths was "Body Ministry". The church I attended embraced this truth. For a time. The pastor was a controller and that created some serious issues. Many people left, including myself.
By Body Ministry I mean that all believers have some kind of gift from God. All believers should be able to contribute to a meeting in some way.
"What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a psalm or a teaching, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. All of these must be done to build up the church." 1 Corinthians 14:6
Romans 12:3-8
"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but think of yourself with sober judgment, according to the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and not all members have the same function, 5so in Christ we who are many are one body, and each member belongs to one another.
We have different gifts according to the grace given us. If one’s gift is prophecy, let him use it in proportion to his faith; if it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is giving, let him give generously; if it is leading, let him lead with diligence; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully."
All of these must be done to build up the church......... If you want to know why your church is struggling to retain members, you have your answer. Many drift from fellowship to fellowship, seeking fulfillment that rarely comes. While the congregation languishes, Pastors are overloaded and undervalued.
Where I attend is typical. Every now and again, someone has a testimony to share. And that's about it.
The pastor is one of the more pragmatic men I've met. He does not enslave himself to the congregation. He takes holidays that are due to him. However, he also gets an outsider to minister while he is away. This is not biblical. There are about 60 regulars. Many of them are competent to share the Word.
I've not shared my thoughts on this with him as yet. I need to have some credibility first.
Brethren, this is not for the fainthearted. There are risks of false doctrine, division, jealousy and pride rising up. However, obeying God's principles most certainly will be rewarded. For sure the current model of church has failed.