Modern Prophets

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
The list of spiritual gifts per 1 Cor 12:8-10, are all no longer present today nor are they needed as they were in the early church. They were needed then to build and inspire the fledgling church. There was no completed written word of God then. All such gifts have either ceased or have vanished away 1 Cor 13:8.

The miraculous manifestation of the gifts were initially bestowed upon the apostles and then to others only by the laying on of THEIR hands. Read carefully Luke 24:49, Acts 1, Acts 2, and examples of the laying on of the apostle's hands in Acts 5:12, Acts 8:18, Acts 19:6. There are no apostles alive nor anyone they laid there hands on. The gifts equated to various parts of the human body, them being members of the Lord's body, the church. We no longer need tongues, or prophesy, or miracles, etc. The body of Christ is complete and we have the written word to guide us.

Also see 2 Cor 3:7-18, Eph 4:11-16, Gal 3:23-25, 1 Cor 13:8-12, and see the similarity in words and phrases, and piece it all together for the truth regarding the miraculous manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit.
Ironically, what you're saying is the standard for today is exactly what Paul prophesied about:

"But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5
having a form of godliness but denying its power.

All the gifts are active today including prophesy. And we have a inerrant record, in the Bible, that teaches us much about how the gifts are administrated.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
I simply see it as God wills.

I people chock up any and every event to a miracle no matter after having chemo for months or a new job offer, etc.

I have not spoke or prayed in tongues, healed anyone, prophesied God's will for anyone, and have not seen the gifts of the Apostle.

All 4 of these mentioned gifts the charismatics believes in.

I operate in other gifts.
The charismatics and Pentecostals never matured beyond the demonstration of the gifts. Instead they used the occurrence of their own gifts as validation of their own ministries. Once they found out they could fake the manifestations they chose the lower road to guarantee cash flow.

I know several prophets and apostles and neither of them have business cards. But they all work to build up the body of Christ when Christ calls on them.

I operate in both gifts.

There was once a man who was used as a thorn in my side. A devout atheist, he sought to disparage me at every chance. Publicly, we were often found in the same business circles so this caused some problems for me. This went on for years. At first I complained to Lord about it but it taught me much about having refuge in the Him.

Any way, at one meeting in which I was the main speaker, this man decided to interrupt me and oppose me publicly: it wasn't anything about my faith, he sought to discredit my business sense in front of judges, lawyers, doctors, and city council members. You know the verse about the Holy Spirit giving us the words to say at the moment we are in front of authorities? That was in full effect and I was instructed to be quiet for the most part. What I saw unfold was that people were actually disgusted as his little ruse. Even so, I left the meeting wondering if this was what to expect for the coming future: that man harassing me publicly. I'm sure I prayed "How long, oh Lord?" more than once.

Two weeks later that man fell head first down a flight of stairs and broke his neck. He died instantly. When I was told I became frightened and I began to weep. The Lord had had enough, and He decided to remove that man. That experience changed my life: I became even more serious about the things of God. When I die I hope they say that I feared God above all things.

Another man, even though he was warned not to leave his wife for another woman, lost his entire business empire and only after he repented did the favor of the Lord return to him.

Another man who feared the Lord, treated his employees like his own children. One of his workers broke off from the business and used the contacts he gained from his boss to steal business. The man who feared the Lord instructed his employees to pray for the man who did them wrong. Five years later, the man who broke away went bankrupt. The righteous man was able to purchase the failed business for a fraction of its value and hire more employees.

Another man, during a multi-year drought with no end in sight, prophesied that, because the people received the word of the Lord God would restore the rain. God instructed him to add: and the water will break records like none of you have seen. Three days later, the region had a "once-in-500-years" event that brought rain and snow to the area. Dry lakes were filled and streams ran like rivers.

I could go on and on but my point is these things are common occurrences with the people of God. We are so limited by our own blindness and biases that we've settled for 3 points and a poem on Sundays believing that we have somehow fulfilled our Christian quota. Power is part of our walk with God. It's normal among those who are born from above.

Blessings.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
This guy also seemed to know that my aunt had been having family issues and predicted restoration. Her husband had an emotional affair months prior.
Not difficult to predict eventual victory for the Child of God. (And we all deal with issues of one kind or another.)

Revelation 3:21
“To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.”

CS1

May 23, 2012
Prophecy is listed within the Spiritual gifts, so what does the look like in a Biblical New Testament setting?

Please show me where in the Bible does it say that?

Prophecy is speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in context to 1cor chapters 12 and 14.

We recently had a Bob Hazlett come and speak to our church.

https://www.ascendministries.net/bob-hazlett

I know that demonic spirits can mimic some of the miracles of God like they did with Moses or Paul and the sorcerer. We are even told some will do great signs and wonders to possibly lead away the elect.

This is true

To test the prophet, their words must not contradict the Bible. They must have a proven track record. And ultimately, you will begin to see by their fruit.

I agree fully,

According to my pastor, Hazlett had perfectly predicted certain specifics about them building a new church, and he hadn't mentioned that to this guy.

This guy also seemed to know that my aunt had been having family issues and predicted restoration. Her husband had an emotional affair months prior.

But much of his talk was vague and never once exposed sin, or predicted anything negative, it was all motivational, and even two people were going to get new cars. New land for the church, a new gym, a sound room to create music, and a school was proclaimed.

My greater instinct is this is a joke even though I don't know how he knew about my aunt in, less it is demonic mimicking the gift to steer people away. But yet everything He said isn't bad either it just seems to leave out the correction and reproof part.

I don't know. I started going to a charismatic church a year ago to study their interpretation and use of the gifts.

Oh a red flag to me is Hazlett has an Ascend Academy where if you pay $99 to $250 a month, you can learn how operate in the prophetic gift.

Also he has appeared on Bethal tv and done events related to Bethal and close friends to a prophet community.

I can't help but feel this to be false, so I ask how should a modern prophet operate? Should one have a whole ministry built on it?

Jul 20, 2022
Prophecy is listed within the Spiritual gifts, so what does the look like in a Biblical New Testament setting?

We recently had a Bob Hazlett come and speak to our church.

https://www.ascendministries.net/bob-hazlett

I know that demonic spirits can mimic some of the miracles of God like they did with Moses or Paul and the sorcerer. We are even told some will do great signs and wonders to possibly lead away the elect.

To test the prophet, their words must not contradict the Bible. They must have a proven track record. And ultimately, you will begin to see by their fruit.

According to my pastor, Hazlett had perfectly predicted certain specifics about them building a new church, and he hadn't mentioned that to this guy.

But much of his talk was vague and never once exposed sin, or predicted anything negative, it was all motivational, and even two people were going to get new cars. New land for the church, a new gym, a sound room to create music, and a school was proclaimed.

My greater instinct is this is a joke even though I don't know how he knew about my aunt in, less it is demonic mimicking the gift to steer people away. But yet everything He said isn't bad either it just seems to leave out the correction and reproof part.

I don't know. I started going to a charismatic church a year ago to study their interpretation and use of the gifts.

Oh a red flag to me is Hazlett has an Ascend Academy where if you pay $99 to $250 a month, you can learn how operate in the prophetic gift.

Also he has appeared on Bethal tv and done events related to Bethal and close friends to a prophet community.

I can't help but feel this to be false, so I ask how should a modern prophet operate? Should one have a whole ministry built on it?
Well there are many religionists who add to Holy Scripture to suit their views; and I found a Bible-only fellowship which proves all things by "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" as our Creator-God enjoins us; and believes in the priesthood of all saints, without a hired preacher. It is a worldwide fellowship of Bible-only teaching "all the counsel of God". One can learn about it at the site: holdingforth 1 @hotmail.com, and there might be one near to you.
--1ambassador

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
Ironically, what you're saying is the standard for today is exactly what Paul prophesied about:

"But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power.

All the gifts are active today including prophesy. And we have a inerrant record, in the Bible, that teaches us much about how the gifts are administrated.
If that scripture is supposed to be a reflection of me or describe me, the only thing I can say or do is laugh. You don't know what you're talking about nor do you understand the miraculous gifts in 1 Cor 12:8-10 nor what there need was then. Goodbye 👋