Modesty and the Christian Woman

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Praus

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
2,982
40
0
Modesty and the Christian Woman

Elizabeth Inrig gives this passionate exhortation for women to dress as would be fitting a Christ follower. Trinity Church Redlands, California -> Trinity Church | Redlands, CA

[video=youtube;AbAiyq2cspE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbAiyq2cspE[/video]

1 Tim 2:9-10 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. (ESV)
 
I'm just going to copy and paste a previous post I made on another thread about dressing modestly:

I used to be the girl who went to church, provocatively dressed and darting towards the single men with a spring in my step. At that point I had just come back to Christ, but still carried some old heart issues that caused me to continue being that way. I was well aware of the affect I had on men, I was well aware of what I was doing. At that season in my life my heart was still holding on to the ideas and thought processes of the world and I let lust rule my life. When I dressed myself with revealing tops and short skirts, I felt equipped and had some sense of power and control. The control made me feel comfortable, which made me feel beautiful.

Now, looking back, I am so glad that I did not enter into a relationship at that point. I had so much maturing to do, and my heart wasn't ready to be faithful to any man. It took a loving and godly friend to point out what I was doing and it hurt her to point this out. She worried that she hurt me and she fasted and prayed that I would see my true value. She wanted to see me free from the bondage I was in. I was so adamant that I was an object, I failed to even think I was a gift, a worthy mystery for someone to solve. My body was constantly revealed to all, but I never thought that it could be an undiscovered territory for someone to travel their fingertips along, or that my body was a map of scars and imperfections someone would one day come to know like the back of their hand. I never though that to understand and know me (in a physical sense) is an adventure. The feelings of unworthiness and 'cheapness' were evident in the way I dressed. This may not be the case for every woman, but it was very true to me.

I was a stumbling block to many men in my old church. Not all men will be affected by a women who dress in a matter that is revealing, but it is the case for most. Studies confirm that men are very visual and that certain images would run through their mind several times without them even knowing it. Why bother being a stumbling block? Why cause your brother or sister in Christ to fall? Because 'society says this...'? The old me was proud and would regurgitate feminist arguments until I was blue in the face, but now, the new me, wants to oppose the ideas the world has blinded me with for so long.

I think its about time we stood tall and created a counter-culture to the world. We are meant to stand out. We are meant to be set apart. We are meant to arouse the curiosity of non-believers and to set a standard. I've had enough of the ideas and perception that this world raises on some holy pedestal. Its about time we raised our eyes up to God and to return to His word, the bible has to say so much about how we dress and how we are to be conducted around and with fellow Christians. We need to stop blending bible and world views until it suits us. When you take in the Word and obey it, you will be surprised how much law and loving boundaries sets you free.

I now wear clothes that do not go above the knee. I wear singlets under tops that have low cuts. Finally, finally I feel beautiful because I am saving my physical body for my future husband. My body will be a gift for him to gaze upon and to enjoy. I am not worried whether I am a stumbling block to others, I don't constantly worry about what I am revealing therefore I am so completely comfortable.

Just to confirm, I don't judge women who wear dresses where the neckline meets the hem line of the dress. How can I judge when I did the exact same thing? But I so want people to break free from that because I remember what it was like to be that person.
 
Thank you for posting this Arlene
It can often be more accepted by women when this type of sound advice and correction comes from another woman.
When it comes from a man trying to point these sort of things out to another sister it can be difficult to help get the message through clearly and may at times incorrectly be viewed as some form of controlling by the opposite gender.
I like how you pointed out and place emphasis that a woman's main worth and beauty does not come from her outer beauty to be looked upon by eyes...
but from within, to be seen with the heart...also as it is with a man

Unless we as humans are beautiful on the inside, its hard to cover it up on the outside.
Im glad you have discovered and shared with us that our worth and beauty start from the inside.
which must come by being renewed in mind and spirit and actions through Christ.
Blessings
 
Last edited:
Hahaha, well, I was actually intending to paste this on another thread about dressing modestly, 'Christian women please dress more modestly' but in my haste, pasted it here. Ah well, if it speaks to people, then I guess its a good thing.
 
What a person wears is absolutely meaningless.
Worrying about it is idiotic.
What is in a person's heart is EVERYTHING.
 
What a person wears is absolutely meaningless.
Worrying about it is idiotic.
What is in a person's heart is EVERYTHING.

So you would be happy for everyone to turn up naked at church?

Most people are not like you, a woman wearing next to nothing showing little to imagination in church is not right and there are many men who struggle with lust, even those who dont will be trying hard not to look or think about what is on display.
 
The flip side to this debate is legalism. I grew up in a Baptist church where the girls and women could not even wear pants or jeans and I thought that was pretty silly. What was worse is the men and boys could not wear jeans either.

The Holiness and Pentecostal Holiness groups have the no make up, hair never cut, dresses only thing going on even today.

To me these forms of public display simply elevate pride and nothing else...Look I wear my hair in a bun, wear only a dress therefore I am more modest and more spiritual than you. I don't see whats wrong with women wearing pants./jeans as long as they are modest.

I was a guest speaker in a church a few years ago, and we had a 1st time guest, that showed up in high heels, a mini skirt and a blouse with sheer sleeves. She was very pretty and dressed somewhat provocatively. The deacons and their wives were very religious about it, they immediately informed the Associate Pastor, who told the ushers not to let her sit in the first row she had picked, but let her sit in the back unseen. The woman refused to move. The Sr. Pastor came out and the associate told him everything about the "Jezebel" that came to church, attempting to tempt married men, and exuding all lust.

When the Pastor asked where she was at, 3 ushers said we asked her to leave , because she refused to move to the seat we asked her to. The Sr. Pastor , Associate Pastor 3 deacons and 3 ushers were all smug and religious, the Sr. Pastor asked me, ok so whats your take on the "harlot"...I told them that "harlot" was the angel of the Lord [See Heb 13.2] and they had just failed a test, furthermore I told them to never invite me to preach/teach here again and my family and I left right before service.

Several months later another pastor friend of mine in the same small town and I were having lunch and he said, you know I have to testify to you, a few months ago, we had a 1st time visitor come to church and while she was not dressed very appropriately, we were glad she joined us for service and welcomed her with welcome arms.

She seemed to really enjoy worship and the message I delivered, during the altar call, I could not see here anywhere, its like she just vanished, many answered the altar call and were saved for the first time and many were delivered instantly of addictions, they had being praying to be delivered from, one person was healed of their cancer[verified by the persons Dr.]and you could just feel the power of God hit our small sanctuary, but our mystery guest just seemed to have vanished.

The next part is crazy awesome.

My friend continued by saying that 3 days ago he was talking to another pastor of another church in the same town and tha Sunday night a woman, fitting the description of the one I saw, with the same clothes on, entered into their service and they welcomed her and some of the same things happened at his church.

The church I had left that Sunday morning, when I saw the woman, was NOW in the process of closing its doors due to a church split over doctrine involving if the power of God and his angels really existed.

Be careful folks and Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
 
Last edited:
I mentioned a modesty tank top in the other modesty thread, which Joan of Arc entered and, well, let's just say that that thread derailed and crashed into a small mining town. Anyway...here is a link to the modesty tanks...though I'm sure there are more than one type. :) Folks asked if that really existed or if I was just using clever terminology to sell my point. Okay, they didn't ask it that way exactly but I've learned to read between the lines...or make things up. :) Same difference.

Modest tank top - Made in USA
 
I'm just going to copy and paste a previous post I made on another thread about dressing modestly:

I used to be the girl who went to church, provocatively dressed and darting towards the single men with a spring in my step. At that point I had just come back to Christ, but still carried some old heart issues that caused me to continue being that way. I was well aware of the affect I had on men, I was well aware of what I was doing. At that season in my life my heart was still holding on to the ideas and thought processes of the world and I let lust rule my life. When I dressed myself with revealing tops and short skirts, I felt equipped and had some sense of power and control. The control made me feel comfortable, which made me feel beautiful.

Now, looking back, I am so glad that I did not enter into a relationship at that point. I had so much maturing to do, and my heart wasn't ready to be faithful to any man. It took a loving and godly friend to point out what I was doing and it hurt her to point this out. She worried that she hurt me and she fasted and prayed that I would see my true value. She wanted to see me free from the bondage I was in. I was so adamant that I was an object, I failed to even think I was a gift, a worthy mystery for someone to solve. My body was constantly revealed to all, but I never thought that it could be an undiscovered territory for someone to travel their fingertips along, or that my body was a map of scars and imperfections someone would one day come to know like the back of their hand. I never though that to understand and know me (in a physical sense) is an adventure. The feelings of unworthiness and 'cheapness' were evident in the way I dressed. This may not be the case for every woman, but it was very true to me.

I was a stumbling block to many men in my old church. Not all men will be affected by a women who dress in a matter that is revealing, but it is the case for most. Studies confirm that men are very visual and that certain images would run through their mind several times without them even knowing it. Why bother being a stumbling block? Why cause your brother or sister in Christ to fall? Because 'society says this...'? The old me was proud and would regurgitate feminist arguments until I was blue in the face, but now, the new me, wants to oppose the ideas the world has blinded me with for so long.

I think its about time we stood tall and created a counter-culture to the world. We are meant to stand out. We are meant to be set apart. We are meant to arouse the curiosity of non-believers and to set a standard. I've had enough of the ideas and perception that this world raises on some holy pedestal. Its about time we raised our eyes up to God and to return to His word, the bible has to say so much about how we dress and how we are to be conducted around and with fellow Christians. We need to stop blending bible and world views until it suits us. When you take in the Word and obey it, you will be surprised how much law and loving boundaries sets you free.

I now wear clothes that do not go above the knee. I wear singlets under tops that have low cuts. Finally, finally I feel beautiful because I am saving my physical body for my future husband. My body will be a gift for him to gaze upon and to enjoy. I am not worried whether I am a stumbling block to others, I don't constantly worry about what I am revealing therefore I am so completely comfortable.

Just to confirm, I don't judge women who wear dresses where the neckline meets the hem line of the dress. How can I judge when I did the exact same thing? But I so want people to break free from that because I remember what it was like to be that person.


What do you wear on the beach that will not be a
stumbling block to others ?
 
its quite easy i think yet because of past experiences becomes a mountain to get past through.
And many ladies understand what modesty is, some don't it, some go after how the world dictates in the "TODAY" fashion trends. some want attention from men, some fear not fitting in, so many reasons.

But Gods word remains the same, And we change to what He sees fit, and what HE sees fit is FIT :))
 
What a person wears is absolutely meaningless.
Worrying about it is idiotic.
What is in a person's heart is EVERYTHING.

Well, yes and no.......the Idea certainly sounds good.......but in practice maybe not so good........

Do you really want your wife/daughter wearing a see through blouse with no bra and a micro mini skirt without under wear on to church? Seems that MIGHT be a wee bit distracting, and not it would be "edifying" God.
 
Don't remember the exact Scripture right now, but it seems to me that the best option would be to follow that......

"all things in moderation......"
 
"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 31:30
 
it's a bit like babysitting if either male or female show up for church dressed as though they are still playing dress up direct them to the appropriate Sunday school class and have the Sunday school teacher help them. progress them through the levels of classes as quickly as they can grasp it,when they are of the same mindset as the adults and children in the main room of the church then let them come out with the main group.

when i was a young boy i played cowboy and dressed up like that,then i was a pirate. i dug in the the dirt and built forts. i sat in the Sunday school classes and colored and played with toys. i was ask by a young man once if i had a problem with the way he was dressed,he was dressed all in black with black fingernail polish and eyeshadow on. i told him no,i wasn't ever much at Halloween but i do notice that many of the kids dress up like this and that.,,,,let the children play until they mature in their minds,if they are provocative or offensive move them into a Sunday school class.

if you are in public and young men have their pants down and their underwear and backside are showing call the police and document it with photo's on your cell phone give them to the police and tell them that they were exposing themselves to children,people ect. it is a crime you know for someone to expose themselves in public especially if minor children are involved. a woman is no different if she is exposing her self in public the police need be involved.

at some point in the modern culture we must realize that if it shocks us as adults to see how some men and women dress today,there are also children present who are even the more effected and being minors are looking to you as the adults to protect them. it is a crime to sit down a minor child and show them explicit movies,it is by far more of a crime and an injury to a child to both have this happen to them and to look to the adults surrounding them for protection and after being injured by the one then to suffer the injury of not being protected by the adults they look up to.