More than 30 members of clergy, religious activists sign letter declaring their churches immigrant 'sanctuaries.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I hate when journalists have misleading titles. The only reason a immigrant would be in danger of deportation is if they are here illegally or on some temporary stay conditions in which they violated.

I have to disagree with the way these churches are responding by also breaking the law in harboring illegals.

Harboring a fugitive refers to the crime of knowingly hiding a wanted criminal from the authorities. Federal and state laws, which vary by state, govern the crime of harboring a fugitive.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/birmingham-churches-clergy-sanctuary-illegal-immigrants

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
That's 30 members in a State that is in the Heart of the Bible Belt, and a decidedly RED STATE. Meaning, strong Republican/Conservative influence. Birmingham/Jefferson County is one of the most Liberal Counties in the State, and routinely votes Democrat.

Wouldn't put too much meaning into this.......IF you/others read this as something that will be the "norm" for Alabama..........

just saying

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
That's 30 members in a State that is in the Heart of the Bible Belt, and a decidedly RED STATE. Meaning, strong Republican/Conservative influence. Birmingham/Jefferson County is one of the most Liberal Counties in the State, and routinely votes Democrat.

Wouldn't put too much meaning into this.......IF you/others read this as something that will be the "norm" for Alabama..........

just saying
over here in Athens, ( 17 days till 1st game), I have no heard anything about sanctuary churches, there is some sanctuary bars. ( I see the signs in the windows when I drive by.)

7seasrekeyed

obviously they do not understand the problem or the proper response to it

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
According to some, Jesus was an illegal alien, refugee, vagabond, counter-revolutionary, enemy of state, homeless rebel, enemy of the church, anti-Semitic activist, convicted capital felon, enemy spy, guilty of treason, tried to overthrow the king, enemy of the Roman Empire, accused of being a false prophet, guilty of being too peaceful, too loving of enemies, too outspoken, enemy of His family, IRS criminal tax-evader, traveling without a Visa, too forgiving, guilty of healing on Sunday, law-breaker, meddling in Roman politics, promoting peace and mediation not war, guilty of honoring women, guilty of loving children, guilty of wildlife preservation, guilty of honoring soldiers, guilty of praying for those who were obsessed with putting him to death, accused of taking sanctuary in a religious temple, guilty of honoring marriage between a man and woman.

K

kaylagrl

According to some, Jesus was an illegal alien, refugee,

Yeah,I've heard that so I looked into it. The following describes what that's not true.

" Judea and Egypt (then known as Aegyptus) were all within the borders of the Roman empire. Both countries were occupied land under Ceaser, and even though Herod was King of Judea, he ruled on behalf of Ceasar. Jesus and His family, while provincial citizens, were what we would consider Roman nationals who paid taxes to Rome though they weren’t necessarily citizens of the Roman state. Fleeing to Egypt, then under the personal control of Augustus himself, was on par to moving from New York and into Texas.

Jesus and his family were Roman nationals moving from one Roman country to another. They were not aliens in the legal sense, and it was perfectly legal to travel from one Roman province to another.

vagabond, counter-revolutionary, enemy of state, homeless rebel,

Jesus wasn't political, He wasn't trying to start a revolution either. He was more along the line of a traveling evangelist than a vagrant.

enemy of the church, anti-Semitic activist,

He certainly wasn't an "activist" . How He could be accused of being anti-Semitic is beyond me.

convicted capital felon, enemy spy, guilty of treason, tried to overthrow the king, enemy of the Roman Empire,

All false BTW

accused of being a false prophet, guilty of being too peaceful, too loving of enemies, too outspoken, enemy of His family, IRS criminal tax-evader, traveling without a Visa,

IRS?? Traveling without a Visa? Now you're joking.

too forgiving, guilty of healing on Sunday, law-breaker, meddling in Roman politics, promoting peace and mediation not war, guilty of honoring women, guilty of loving children, guilty of wildlife preservation,

Well except for those pigs...

guilty of honoring soldiers, guilty of praying for those who were obsessed with putting him to death, accused of taking sanctuary in a religious temple, guilty of honoring marriage between a man and woman.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Ecknes-Tucker acknowledged the likelihood of legal challenges but said he and his congregation “are willing to make that stand.
This is how spiritually dead so many churches are.
The gospel of salvation has deteriorated into the gospel of social action.
Where are the preachers of the righteousness of God and repentance unto salvation of the soul?
Save the planet … pray for world peace … get entangled in worldly politics …
but defend the truth of God and his word … how can they defend what they do not know!!

13 Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme,
14 or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good.
17 Honour everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the emperor.
1Peter 2:
1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.
2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.
Romans 13:

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Remind them [Christians] to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work,
Titus 3:1

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
Remind them [Christians] to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work,
Titus 3:1
Depends on obedience to who?

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
over here in Athens, ( 17 days till 1st game), I have no heard anything about sanctuary churches, there is some sanctuary bars. ( I see the signs in the windows when I drive by.)
Not only is it illegal but they can't stand as sanctuaries. ICE or any other illegal immigration official can enter and arrest all illegals that church in question is harboring.
It is a disgrace that these churches are proud to violate federal law and harbor illegal aliens.
Further, what isn't often discussed in this matter is that those seeking refuge or "refugees", aren't entitled by the law to stay permanently here. Not only are they not legally entitled to enter here under that reason of seeking refuge, because they're suppose to go to the nearest safe state or nation to that which they're fleeing. Which would mean it would have to be Mexico that they're seeking refuge from so as to claim refugee status in America.
As to the impermanence factor, when the conflict in their home nation is dispelled refugees are to be returned to that homeland. But how often do we read of that happening?

It's a bit upsetting to think there are nations around the world that hate America because they claim we try to police the world.
And at the same time people by the thousands gather to enter illegally because they claim America is their promised land, refuge, etc...
It is an invasion and unfortunately the Democrats , especially in California, are all for it.

Should make for an interesting future. For those who live in Hawaii and Alaska.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
According to some, Jesus was an illegal alien, refugee, vagabond, counter-revolutionary, enemy of state, homeless rebel, enemy of the church, anti-Semitic activist, convicted capital felon, enemy spy, guilty of treason, tried to overthrow the king, enemy of the Roman Empire, accused of being a false prophet, guilty of being too peaceful, too loving of enemies, too outspoken, enemy of His family, IRS criminal tax-evader, traveling without a Visa, too forgiving, guilty of healing on Sunday, law-breaker, meddling in Roman politics, promoting peace and mediation not war, guilty of honoring women, guilty of loving children, guilty of wildlife preservation, guilty of honoring soldiers, guilty of praying for those who were obsessed with putting him to death, accused of taking sanctuary in a religious temple, guilty of honoring marriage between a man and woman.
I've heard that as well. i think it is a fiction cobbled together so as to get the support of the Christian communities.
That's impossible when it is all fiction.

jacob_g

Sep 1, 2019
Depends on obedience to who?
Obedient to the law of the land; in this case the U.S. Federal Law... I have to admit two things not sure if you are referring to a certain "who" or just do not know proper English?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I have to disagree with the way these churches are responding by also breaking the law in harboring illegals.
What do you expect from apostate churches? In fact it is these churches which have been secretly supporting the influx of illegals migrants for decades, knowing full well that they are violating immigration laws.

Sanctuary states, sanctuary cities, and sanctuary churches should all have been prosecuted by now and shut down. Mr. Trump has failed to act decisively and firmly in this matter, just as he failed to build that wall by now.

Lawlessness is lawlessness, and there is absolutely no country in the world (except foolish Western European nations) where illegal migrants can simply pour in and take advantage of the welfare systems, while promoting criminality and creating terror in the lives of innocent citizens.

The Bible does not allow anyone to break the laws of the land. In fact, Christians are commanded to obey them or disobey them upon pain of death. See Romans 13:1-5.

jacob_g

Sep 1, 2019
MORE LEFT-LIBERAL NONSENSE. IN FACT BALONEY.
I think the question is are these "churches" true Churches of the Living God/ Jesus/ God the Father / the Bible.....?Or are they the ones that we called You Lord and Jesus replies I knew you knot!?!

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
What do you expect from apostate churches? In fact it is these churches which have been secretly supporting the influx of illegals migrants for decades, knowing full well that they are violating immigration laws.

Sanctuary states, sanctuary cities, and sanctuary churches should all have been prosecuted by now and shut down. Mr. Trump has failed to act decisively and firmly in this matter, just as he failed to build that wall by now.

Lawlessness is lawlessness, and there is absolutely no country in the world (except foolish Western European nations) where illegal migrants can simply pour in and take advantage of the welfare systems, while promoting criminality and creating terror in the lives of innocent citizens.

The Bible does not allow anyone to break the laws of the land. In fact, Christians are commanded to obey them or disobey them upon pain of death. See Romans 13:1-5.
In fact it is these churches which have been secretly supporting the influx of illegals migrants for decades
How do you know if it is a secret?

Yes justice must stand but in your opinion how should President Trump enforce this issue with sanctuary areas? Martial law? How should he handle it?

How can he fail to build the wall if he is still working on it? With many miles already been built including a few months back gained a big sum from the department of defense to build more of the wall.

Not sure you could even blame him. The Republicans had both the House and the Senate.