Mosaic Law

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever. (Psalm 12:6-7, KJV)

I think the Creator of everything that has been created is able to preserve His Words and trust the modern translations have not lost enough so as to make the overall point unattainable. Furthermore, the OT and NT harmonize, and if every you think they do not, keep studying.
Yes, I know of the harmony between the testaments. However there are also words in certain published versions that are omitted to appease Muslims. And there are words and verses missing from published NIV versions as well.
Below is an example. Omitting father and son from a scripture can be very misleading for new Christians. Don't you think?

2012 'Father' and 'Son' Removed From Bible Translations for Muslims
Critics Call the Move 'Unnecessary'

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The law of God .... beautiful....perfect.....holy.....it was given by God.....written with his finger in stone entrusted to moses to deliver to Israel. And so it was. With Devine guidance moses and the elect sought to place traditions and feast and customs and ordinances to fulfill the law which God honored.
Soon Israel became obsessed with serving the law more than serving God. Rewarding their self for following and condemning others for failing they became self serving and ruling over.
You see the law was perfect but their was a sorta flaw a yet to be fulfillment.
The flaw was there was no escape. Israel took that to mean that because they were of Abraham's seed that justified them to God. Not realizing the practicing of the law the feast, Sabbaths, ordinances ECT were pointing to the one to come. He was the fulfillment. The escape.

For all have sinned......there is none righteous no not one.

The law is perfect..there is not one "save Christ "who is perfect and fulfilled the law, that ever walked this earth.

The law is Holy......it has been challenged by the most religious, devout believers, and still remains supreme. It rings true from the day it was carved into stone to today. It withstands the test of time
For it is appointed for everyone to die once.....then the judgement.

Beautiful......because it points out how everyone is in need of a savior. How far we have fallen from our first estate. What is wrong with man kind. Why our hearts are troubled. How much we need God's mercy and blessings and forgiveness.

For God so so so loved the world that he gave his only son......our escape.
Thank you so much for posting this. It reads like the 119th psalm praising the law.

People seem to get it all mixed up with the letter of the law that takes away the love that is in the law. We can hate our neighbor but still obey the law and grudgingly help him, but that is not obeying the law.

T

TheIndianGirl

While our individual salvation is no longer based on Mosaic law, many modern legal systems have roots in ancient law (Mosaic law, Hammurabi's Law, etc.). Some things don't change, such as people who murder or rape being punished by death or issued the most severe punishments. The "eye for an eye" law while not applied literally still influences modern law in that punishment must be equal to the offense, and so forth. Ancient law helps us to gage the severity of offenses. I think it is still worthwhile to understand ancient/Mosaic law as it still applies to our legal systems in some way. So, with respect to legal systems, the overall/basic elements of Mosaic law still applies.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Throughout Deuteronomy, and Numbers you will find the phrase, and I'm just paraphrasing, and the word of the Lord came to Moses, the. What follows is a law. I think that is the key to knowing.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I once had a serious spiritual crisis over this question. In Galatians 3, Paul seems to say the law is no more, and there are many scriptures saying the law is eternal. I felt that if God is truth, then there could be no contradictions, all scripture must agree or God is not truth. When scripture did not turn up the answer I went to history of that period for an answer. I felt I had to have a definition Paul meant by the words he used for law. I made sure my historians were top level, as accurate as possible. I made sure the authors had worked on the dead sea scrolls as they were the oldest sources of that history, and that they had a top level education from such as Harvard or Yale. This was not taking history as scripture, but learning what the words used in scripture truly meant.

Here is what I found. There were many foreigners who were attracted to Judaism, it was popular to join the Jews. Many joined for a time and then left for the parties and celebrations of the heathens, taking Jew friends with them. This problem was addressed by the leading Scholars of the time like Hillel, Shammai, and Gamaliel. They made up 18 rules the gentiles must follow to join the Jews. Several historians of this time mention this but not one listed those rules, so we know they were made but not what they were.

In those days, people discussed the news of the day just like today, and there was a general outcry over these rules. Read what Paul said about them in Acts. They were called the Law of Moses. No one thought of the law of Moses as the ten commandments as we do today, they thought of those 18 laws that had to be followed if they were allowed to make the one true God their God. We know that fleshly circumcision was included, Paul speaks of that.

For me, this made all scripture agree with every other scripture.

However, the ten commandments can be incorrect as true law. For example, the fourth commandment about the Sabbath. If it is obeyed legalistically rather than from the heart, you could think you were keeping it holy by going to church and disobeying it actually by ignoring someone in need. So the ten commandments are only good as under the new covenant, given in the heart.