music..?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
If you believe in the Messiah, and you want to live your life right for Him. You have to ask yourself, could you see Messiah sitting and listening to these songs you're talking about. Honestly? So, since scripture says we are to imitate Him, then that means we get rid of the things in our life we know He wouldn't have anything to do with.
That's a good litmus test. If Jesus wouldn't do it, then should you?

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
That's a good litmus test. If Jesus wouldn't do it, then should you?

That's an interesting thought.

The Lord would be hanging out with sinners. By hanging out with them He would be listening to and seeing all kinds of things that would not necessarily be edifying.

Does the Lord only like Gospel Music? It is the best music out there but how would we know???

I noticed that music has an effect on my mood. Some music makes me feel like fighting, some makes me sad, some makes me happy. I suppose it is important to know how the music is affecting you.

I specifically listen only to Christian music because I don't want the things of the world to have any grip on me. I don't know if music affects you the way it affects me...

E

eternally-gratefull

I listen to all kinds of music. I also play it. most of the stuff we play is christian, we have even written some christan songs, but not all of it is.

I listen to led zeppelin, pink floyd and many others. I read steven king (or did for many years) all my friends also do this.

It did not make me a crazy, horrible sinner, Nor did it change my mind about God or keep me from doing Gods things. There is nothing wrong with it scriptural. and as grandpa so rightly said, if we are to go into the world, we are going to have to listen to this stuff.

however, if it does affect us, or we can't separate fantasy from reality and struggle. i would say it would be dangerous to do these things,

B

Bornfromabove

I noticed that music has an effect on my mood. Some music makes me feel like fighting, some makes me sad, some makes me happy.
This song makes me feel like fighting

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSMxY6asoE[/video]

This song makes me sad

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3j_fdSpkmE[/video]

And this one makes me happy

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHFDa9efCQU[/video]

R

rainacorn

More on what Grandpa said, our relationship with music is a two way street. You can listen to music to change your mood or match your mood.

If you're listening to angry music, but don't want to feel angry, then chances are good that you're already angry about something and aren't really aware of it. Same goes for other things- happy music, sad music, sleazy/sexy music, etc. It's not just about lyrical content, but the big picture.

Music is an emotional expression and it affects our emotions whether we're aware of it or not. You can use it as a tool to identify and deal with your emotions or enhance what you're already feeling. It's a beautiful thing!

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
That's an interesting thought.

The Lord would be hanging out with sinners. By hanging out with them He would be listening to and seeing all kinds of things that would not necessarily be edifying.

Does the Lord only like Gospel Music? It is the best music out there but how would we know???

I noticed that music has an effect on my mood. Some music makes me feel like fighting, some makes me sad, some makes me happy. I suppose it is important to know how the music is affecting you.

I specifically listen only to Christian music because I don't want the things of the world to have any grip on me. I don't know if music affects you the way it affects me...
I derive inspiration to overcome sin from listening to secular rock music sometimes. The words don't mean a lot to me... just the feel of the music. It's good to have both good words and good sound, but I usually listen to the way a song sounds first and then check on the words, especially since they're unintelligible most times.

I figure if the words were important then they'd be sung a couple decibels over the rest of the music.

Last edited:
M

MaggieMye

Ephesians 5:4
and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

There it is. Filthy language, coarse jesting (gross jokes and the like) and foolish or silly talk is sin.

Dec 19, 2009
So, is there any biblical proof that says listening to a song with cuss words, etc is a sin?

I personally listen to almost anything, of course I don't exercise my freedom to much, and I don't let it become a majority thing, but sometimes.. some songs are just catchy, ya know? So, again.. is there any biblical proof?

some examples of songs I listen to:

****edited****

I don't live a bad lifestyle, I just find the music catchy xD lol.

So... ?
We can sin in our hearts as well as in our deeds. Check out Matthew 5:28.