M
Right ...that's why we serve God by the Spirit and not by the "letter" Love not legalism !
Wrong! We love God because He first loved us....by His Spirit we keep the first commandment in love.Yes we keep the law because we love God, it is mentioned in the ten commandments also Jesus said it.
[SUP]Exodus 20:6
6 [/SUP]And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
John 14:15 (KJV)
[SUP]15 [/SUP]If ye love me, keep my commandments.
The law is not legalism, the Bible says the law is good.
Wrong! We love God because He first loved us....by His Spirit we keep the first commandment in love.
Of course He first loved us, if He did not we would not be able to love Him. The Bible teaches that like begats like, to have people love God must first come from someone who shows love.
I said we keep the commandments because we love God which is not wrong, but you look as though you want to be right so you tell me I am wrong, must a person always explain every detail in every post?
Hey Mate, I have a lot more issues with the last two than the first. ......
The new covenant is the same only with better promises, So If they could do it if they took hold of Gods promises then, it stands to reason that We who have the better promises are not just as able but even more able than they.
Hey Mate, I have a lot more issues with the last two than the first.
I think personally there are a few leaps in thought.
for instance you said "No matter how much bornagain people want to obey, however, they never will perfectly obey the wholelaw of God. If anyone could have done that, there would have been no need forJesus to die for our sins, for then we could have attained Heaven under thelaw."
The problem is that God said to the Jews:
Deu 30:10 If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
Deu 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
Deu 30:12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deu 30:13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deu 30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.
God made it clear that it could be kept, notice he says it is in thy heart. this is because this same chapter says God will do it:
Deu 30:6 And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.
So God put it in their hearts.
So either they could actually keep it or God is a liar.
Deu 30:15 See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;
Deu 30:16 In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.
God says he has set before them life and death, if they could not obey then God has not only lied to them but condemned them to death without hope.
These scriptures clearly set fourth That God would change their hearts and that they could indeed obey all that was given.
SO then why did they fail?
Heb 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that were disobedient?
Heb 3:19 And we see that they were not able to enter in because of unbelief.
It was not because they could not obey it was because they did not have faith as it is written:
Deu_32:20 And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very froward generation, children in whom is no faith.
Israel did not fail because it was impossible, though it was impossible for them to do in their strength, They failed because they had no faith in Gods promises to preform it in them.
The new covenant is the same only with better promises, So If they could do it if they took hold of Gods promises then, it stands to reason that We who have the better promises are not just as able but even more able than they.
I like the stuff about being free from sin and agree, however it seems you don't believe in true freedom from sin.
On one had you speak much of our freedom from slavery yet on the other you say we will not be free in this life.
you quoted a verse:
Joh 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
Joh 8:35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
Notice Jesus says if you sin/break the law, then you are a slave to sin.
SO breaking the law is evidence that you are a slave. So to sin is not free in Christ bu still a slave. no one can serve two masters.
I know you don't want to talk about this subject and that is fine, but I am just letting you know the issue I have with the last two in particular.
IN Christ I can do all things and nothing is impossible for God.
I can do nothing without Jesus not one little thing. and JEsus said that in John 15:5.
So then any failure to be totally free is not me but Christ, I do not believe Christ fails.
But I will not any more talk on this because I know you would like to agree to disagree. what I will do though is en devour to explain how from the bible one can overcome sin entirely through Christ. In fact I will do it on a new thread.
I do not profess to live a sinless life as Jesus did. Let me put it this way. Do you aspire to live-believe you can live a holier life on this earth than the person who wrote half the books of the NT?
See for me the question of what I can do has nothing to do with this.
The Question is what can Jesus do?
When I hear someone say you can't overcome every sin, and that same person says salvation is all the work of God, then I hear them saying Jesus' Grace is not sufficient and His Power is not enough.
I don't agree, what Jesus did at the cross is more than powerful enough.
If our old man of sin is dead and Christ lives in you then the question is how can He fail? He can't He already lived a life on earth without sin.
But I get His resurrected victorious life in me He did not fail the first time He will not fail the second.
I don't think we are going to agree on this one mate.
I am persuaded and convinced that Christ will keep all His promises to all who by Faith hold on to them.
By the way Paul was talking about the resurrection:
Php 3:11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
Paul is talking about the endgame I have not made it to the end.
See Paul understood something about living with Christ, it was daily. perfection is not not sinning for a day or a week or a year.
For what if a man in Christ sins not for a year and then takes His eyes of of Jesus. then that man will fall into sin again.
Paul understood that not sinning for a day or a year is not perfection, Perfection is walking in Christ till the end game.
Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
Jesus did not sin but he was perfect when he reached the endgame as it is written:
Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Heb 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
Heb 5:8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
Heb 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
1Pe 5:9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
1Pe 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
Even If you were to stop sinning right now totally you will not be perfect until the resurrection. For perfection is maintaining that connection with Jesus though suffering till the end.