My PC is slightly sick

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
I need some pc advice please

The day before yesterday, when I switched on my PC, the light came on the tower but the screen says no signal and the pc was just idle. It was not booting up. I tried to switch it off and it would not switch off. Eventually I had to switch off the main. I tried again and this time it worked.

Yesterday, when I switched on the pc, the same thing happened but this time with a continuous beeping sound. The screen says no signal and the pc did not boot up. I switched off the main and tried to switch the pc on again and it just continued with the beeping sound. I switched it off and on about 3 times and nothing worked. Just beeping sound.

Eventually I opened up the tower and wiped abit of dust around the covering of the fan. I could not really see any dust but I blew all over the pc. I closed it up and started again and this time it worked.

This has happened to me once before. Do you think it is dust or is it something else. How do you clean the inside of the pc. I've read where somewhere someone said to use a brush and a vacuum cleaner. Is this safe? Will I spoil my pc?

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Moved to proper forum.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Hi Twinkle...

You could use a vacuum cleaner to do that, but you would need to be very careful you did do any damage, much better to use a can of compressed air (duster cleaner), you can buy a can usually around 400ml for a few dollars...

However, this doesn't sound like a problem from dust, which would lead to overheating, but more like a hardware issue.

1) check ALL the power/data/video cables that they are all connected properly, ie all those outside the Tower...

2) If that doesn't sort it, I would think possibly a PSU (power supply) or motherboard is on the way out.

To find out which, you would simply borrow a PSU (from some kind hearted person, which is known to be working properly) and fit that into your computer, if that cures it, then you know it was the PSU, if it doesn't, then very possibly a motherboard issue.

How old is the computer, does it still have any warranty left on it?

Do you know anybody locally who could perhaps look at it for you?

If it was certain it was the PSU, you could fit that yourself if nobody else was available, without having to take it along to a shop. If you have, in the end, to take it to a shop, take it to one which runs a no fix, no pay policy.

Yahweh Shalom...

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
Hi Twinkle...

You could use a vacuum cleaner to do that, but you would need to be very careful you did do any damage, much better to use a can of compressed air (duster cleaner), you can buy a can usually around 400ml for a few dollars...

However, this doesn't sound like a problem from dust, which would lead to overheating, but more like a hardware issue.

1) check ALL the power/data/video cables that they are all connected properly, ie all those outside the Tower...

2) If that doesn't sort it, I would think possibly a PSU (power supply) or motherboard is on the way out.

To find out which, you would simply borrow a PSU (from some kind hearted person, which is known to be working properly) and fit that into your computer, if that cures it, then you know it was the PSU, if it doesn't, then very possibly a motherboard issue.

How old is the computer, does it still have any warranty left on it?

Do you know anybody locally who could perhaps look at it for you?

If it was certain it was the PSU, you could fit that yourself if nobody else was available, without having to take it along to a shop. If you have, in the end, to take it to a shop, take it to one which runs a no fix, no pay policy.

Yahweh Shalom...
Thanks jb for the advice. When it happens again, I'll do what you recommended

D

djness

Various motherboard bios can give different beep codes. What you are describing sounds like a video card going bad. If you know the brand it would be fairly easy to find out.

G

GRA

Yes - if/when it happens again -- try to take note of and write down the beep pattern - how many beeps, short beep, long beep, short pause, long pause, how many more beeps, etc. - until the pattern repeats (probably after the longest pause).

For now - because you may not can do some of it later (or, because some of it will be easier to obtain
now - with your system up and running) - write down all of the following that you can:

~ computer manufacturer and model
~ motherboard manufacturer and model/number
~ BIOS manufacturer and number

Then - you (or we, if you post the info) will be able to look up the beep pattern to determine what the problem should be - according to the "assigned" error definition of the beep code.

:)

S

Siberian_Khatru

Sounds like either RAM or video; sometimes bad memory can cause the board to not roll over and not display any video as well.

Worst case scenario, is it's the motherboard itself.

You can test the memory with MemTest +, or on a day the PC decides to work, pull the memory out when the computer is off and then turn it on. It should beep with the memory uninstalled; if it doesn't, the motherboard is bad.

If it DOES beep, then your motherboard is probably okay, and either the memory is bad, or the video adapter is bad.

Cheers. :)